Keys and values understood by Freemap (was: Re: Freemap-OSM v0.0.3)

Keys and values understood by Freemap (was: Re: Freemap-OSM v0.0.3)

Nick Whitelegg-2

>From your earlier post I would guess that the difference in the
>appearence of the path / roads / streets is derived from the 'class'
>key. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct, but see below....

>I tried adding a 'class=primary' to a few roads around bath using
>osmpedit, but no difference was shown in the freemap rendering of that
>area. However, if I used osm-edit and set the segments to 'Primary'
>then the road was drawn differently.

Good to see the tags being used :-) Will look at Bath on freemap-osm later,
can't do right now as OSM appears to be down.

As well as the class, you have to specify the permissions (who can use it).
These are represented by the 'foot' 'horse' 'bike' and 'car' keys, and can
take the values 'yes', 'no' or 'unofficial'. Permissions will default to
'no' if you don't specify them as 'yes'.

'car' can only be 'yes' or 'no', not 'unofficial'.

Types understood by Freemap include:

Motorway: class=motorway, car=yes
Primary road: class=primary; car=yes; foot=yes; horse=yes; bike=yes
Secondary road: class=secondary; car=yes; foot=yes; horse=yes; bike=yes
Minor road: class=minor; car=yes; foot=yes; horse=yes; bike=yes
Residential road: class=residential; car=yes; foot=yes; horse=yes; bike=yes
Byway: class=unsurfaced; car=yes; foot=yes; horse=yes; bike=yes
Bridleway: class=path;  foot=yes; horse=yes; bike=yes
Footpath: class=path;  foot=yes

Unofficial footpath (not a right of way, typical of most urban alleyways):
class=path;  foot=unofficial

Unofficial Bridleway: class=path;  foot=unofficial; horse=unofficial
Cycle path: class=path;  foot=unofficial; bike=unofficial

I'll try and put something on the wiki about this.

Nick

Re: Keys and values understood by Freemap (was: Re: Freemap-OSM v0.0.3)

Ben Gimpert
On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 02:49:23PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> As well as the class, you have to specify the permissions (who can use it).
> These are represented by the 'foot' 'horse' 'bike' and 'car' keys, and can
> take the values 'yes', 'no' or 'unofficial'. Permissions will default to
> 'no' if you don't specify them as 'yes'.
>
> 'car' can only be 'yes' or 'no', not 'unofficial'.

Maybe only 'car' and 'foot' default to 'yes'? This would just make
sense, given the state of OSM content.

                Ben