Kosmo 2.0 - decimal separator - little confusion

Kosmo 2.0 - decimal separator - little confusion

Jan Helebrant
Hi all,
I found a small problem in Kosmo 2.0 RC which confused me a little and would like to know if also other users noticed it.

When showing or editing attributes, Kosmo uses comma as decimal separator for displaying the attribute values (maybe this could be influenced by regional settings as comma is default decimal separator in Czech republic and I think also in other European countries).

I tried to copy directly some values from OOo Calc but Kosmo always shows a red frame around the table cell and does not accept it. When I change the separator to dot, it is OK.

I think this could confuse some users as it looks like Kosmo uses comma as decimal separator but in fact it apparently uses dot for editing and for entering values.

For example, QGIS (I am currently running 1.5 Trunk) uses dot as decimal separator but also allows input with comma as separator in layer editing mode.

regards

Jan

PS: I hope I will find some free time to resume my translation work on Kosmo Czech localization after June but currently I am too busy :-(

Re: Kosmo 2.0 - decimal separator - little confusion

Sergio Baños Calvo
Good morning Jan.

Indeed, as you have noticed the View/Edit attributes table uses the
locale decimal separator settings for displaying the values to the user.
When the cell is in editing mode, the cell editor seems to behave in a
different way. We're going to check this behaviour and correct it if
necessary. Anyway, we'll add the possibility to override the locale
settings in the Kosmo - Desktop configuration dialog in order to avoid
this issue if your data has been taken with a different decimal
separator settings.

Regards,

PS: Don't worry about it, the work you've already done with the current
Czech localization is great and when you'd have the update ready we'll
make a pack to update it if it comes after the next version.

Jan Helebrant escribió:

> Hi all,
> I found a small problem in Kosmo 2.0 RC which confused me a little and would like to know if also other users noticed it.
>
> When showing or editing attributes, Kosmo uses comma as decimal separator for displaying the attribute values (maybe this could be influenced by regional settings as comma is default decimal separator in Czech republic and I think also in other European countries).
>
> I tried to copy directly some values from OOo Calc but Kosmo always shows a red frame around the table cell and does not accept it. When I change the separator to dot, it is OK.
>
> I think this could confuse some users as it looks like Kosmo uses comma as decimal separator but in fact it apparently uses dot for editing and for entering values.
>
> For example, QGIS (I am currently running 1.5 Trunk) uses dot as decimal separator but also allows input with comma as separator in layer editing mode.
>
> regards
>
> Jan
>
> PS: I hope I will find some free time to resume my translation work on Kosmo Czech localization after June but currently I am too busy :-(

Sergio Baños Calvo

Jefe de desarrollos
Sistemas Abiertos de Información Geográfica, S.L. (SAIG S.L.)
Tlfno. móvil: 685005960
Tlfno. fijo: (+34) 954788876

E-mail: [hidden email]