Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
Hi all,

Glad to announce the first release of Kothic JS map rendering engine.

There's live demo on http://kothic.org/js/

Main features are:

 * Pure javascript - no closed-source proprietary components like
Silverlight or Flash;

 * Crossbrowser and cross-platform - works wherever you've got
JavaScript and Canvas;

 * Rendering quality is superb and is on par with server-side
renderers like Mapnik;

 * MapCSS support - reuse your stylesheet in other renderer, like
Mapnik (using komap preprocessor), Halcyon or JOSM.

 * BSD license.

GitHub repo: https://github.com/kothic/kothic-js (contributions welcome!)

Core contributors:
Darafei Praliaskouski (me=Komzpa, RDC ScanEx)
Vladimir Agafonkin (Mourner, CloudMade)
Maksim Gurtovenko (Miroff)

PS: June 10th, it's my birthday :3

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team
xmpp:me at komzpa.net mailto:me at komzpa.net

Re: Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Stephan Knauss
On 11.06.2011 00:30, Komяpa wrote:
> Glad to announce the first release of Kothic JS map rendering engine.
> There's live demo on http://kothic.org/js/

looks great. Congratulations!

> PS: June 10th, it's my birthday :3
And happy birthday

Stephan

Re: Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Richard Fairhurst
Komяpa wrote:
> Glad to announce the first release of Kothic JS map rendering engine.
> There's live demo on http://kothic.org/js/

This is seriously amazing.

This is possibly the first thing that brings the promise of "it's open source, make your own maps" into the realms of possibility for your average hacker. Plus, of course, the maps look gorgeous. It really validates the whole idea of OSM.

Best thing in OSM this year. Huge amounts of congratulations for this.

cheers
Richard

Re: [OSM-dev] Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Serge Wroclawski-2
The maps are beautiful; really outstanding, gorgeous, but a bit slow
to retrieve.

Is the server being hammered?

The time to get a map is on the order of 5-8 minutes for me...

Is there anything I can do or you can do?

- Serge

Re: Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Russ Nelson
Komяpa writes:
 > Glad to announce the first release of Kothic JS map rendering engine.

And it's gorgeous, just gorgeous. The only thing wrong with it is that
the whole user interface of Firefox is written in JS. So when Kothic
is rendering a complex map, be prepared to wait for your browser to
pay attention to your clicks.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com
Crynwr supports open source software

Re: Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Vladimir Agafonkin
Actually all browsers work like this - they have UI and JS running in the same thread, so you can't do anything while a tile is rendered. I've split the process to 3 chunks (styling, map rendering and text rendering) to make the UI a little more responsive, but generally this can't be addressed well at the moment. I'm hoping that browsers will implement the ability to manipulate Canvas in a Web Worker sometime so rendering is in a separate thread.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Russ Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
And it's gorgeous, just gorgeous. The only thing wrong with it is that
the whole user interface of Firefox is written in JS. So when Kothic
is rendering a complex map, be prepared to wait for your browser to
pay attention to your clicks.

--
Vladimir Agafonkin
Front-End Architect, CloudMade
+380 93 745 44 61

Re: [OSM-dev] Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Steve Bennett-3
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Serge Wroclawski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The time to get a map is on the order of 5-8 minutes for me...

5-8 minutes?? For me, it's more like 10 seconds. Opera, on a
university internet connection.

I'd be interested to know how much time it's taking to retrieve the
data, compared to rendering time.

Steve

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Serge Wroclawski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The time to get a map is on the order of 5-8 minutes for me...
>
> 5-8 minutes?? For me, it's more like 10 seconds. Opera, on a
> university internet connection.

It's much faster now, but yes, it was 5-8 minutes. Now it takes about
16 seconds.

> I'd be interested to know how much time it's taking to retrieve the
> data, compared to rendering time.

I'm sure it's the retrieval time.

This is a fairly fast machine.

- Serge

Re: [OSM-dev] Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
> It's much faster now, but yes, it was 5-8 minutes. Now it takes about
> 16 seconds.

Is it still ~16 seconds, or is faster now? (There was a heavy load on
a server when
the whole thing was released, now applied some tweaks so it hopefully
will be accessible.)

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team
xmpp:[hidden email] mailto:[hidden email]

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Komяpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's much faster now, but yes, it was 5-8 minutes. Now it takes about
>> 16 seconds.
>
> Is it still ~16 seconds, or is faster now? (There was a heavy load on
> a server when
> the whole thing was released, now applied some tweaks so it hopefully
> will be accessible.)

No, it's much improved. Wall time, I'd say <10 seconds.

Are you still using:
http://code.google.com/p/kothic/source/browse/src/json_getter.py  to
maintain the data tiles?

What's the time you've found to generate a data tile?

- Serge