LIBOSM - the C++ OSM library

Nick Whitelegg-3

Announcing the initial version of libosm - the C++ OSM library, available from OSM SVN under the "libs" directory, or at http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/downloads/libosm/libosm.tar.bz2.

It's fairly basic at the moment, but provides classes for Object (a generic OSM object), Node, Segment and Way. There is also a Components class to manage collections of OSM data, a Parser class for parsing OSM XML, and, in the separate libosmnet library, a Client class for reading data from, and putting data to, OSM itself.

I've tried to keep dependencies to a minimum - for XML parsing I use the lightweight expat library, and for communication with the server, libcurl. Neither have secondary dependencies.

This will form the first step, I hope, in an OSM to shapefile and OSM-to-IMG tool, as it would be good to remove the postgresql dependency on mapnik. I also hope (time permitting, which is a big if!) to work on a .img generation library.

Any desired features / bugs, please let me know. BTW I hope also to produce a Java version, probably using JOSM code as a base.

Nick