Lake Garda... is empty

Enrico Liboni
Folks, since sometime Lake Garda in Italy is not rendered correctly. I did not report this a few months ago since I was using an old version of mkgmap but I'm now using very latest one and fresh geofabrik pbf but the problem remains. At a first glance OSM data seems fine:

Any idea?  Attached screenshot from my Garmin device, the lake should be inside the ugly black line - note other smaller lakes are rendered correctly. Lake name is also missed. I am using a custom style but I don't think that can be the cause-

Thanks,
Enrico

lakeGarda-black.jpg

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Felix Hartmann-2
are you using the pre rendered sea data? Try fetching a new copy of it if yes - if not yet - then start using it.

On 10 September 2018 at 23:18, Enrico Liboni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks, since sometime Lake Garda in Italy is not rendered correctly. I did not report this a few months ago since I was using an old version of mkgmap but I'm now using very latest one and fresh geofabrik pbf but the problem remains. At a first glance OSM data seems fine:

Any idea?  Attached screenshot from my Garmin device, the lake should be inside the ugly black line - note other smaller lakes are rendered correctly. Lake name is also missed. I am using a custom style but I don't think that can be the cause-

Thanks,
Enrico

lakeGarda-black.jpg

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Enrico Liboni
Thanks - yep I'm using --precomp-sea with latest sea.zip.

Thomas  I'll check the typ file but I suspect if there was an issue with water bodies level that would affect all lakes, not just one.

Thanks
Enrico

Il Mar 11 Set 2018, 07:06 Thomas Morgenstern <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
At first look in your stylefile polygons and see how  natural=water is converted to garmintyp, I prefer 0x3c, resolution 18. Second look in your typfile, if 0x3c is renderd and if the DrawPriority in typfile is high enouf. Maybee 0x3c exist, but in a low layer, which is overwriting with the other layers.
thomas

Am 10.09.2018 um 23:18 schrieb Enrico Liboni:
Folks, since sometime Lake Garda in Italy is not rendered correctly. I did not report this a few months ago since I was using an old version of mkgmap but I'm now using very latest one and fresh geofabrik pbf but the problem remains. At a first glance OSM data seems fine:

Any idea?  Attached screenshot from my Garmin device, the lake should be inside the ugly black line - note other smaller lakes are rendered correctly. Lake name is also missed. I am using a custom style but I don't think that can be the cause-

Thanks,
Enrico

lakeGarda-black.jpg (89K) Download Attachment

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

ligfietser
I can reproduce your findings with the default style. With the generic new or my Openfietsmap style it renders fine so it seems style dependend.
I found out the tourism=yes tag from the multipoly relation is the cause. Once removed, it renders. Can this be fixed in mkgmap (natural before tourism?) or should this tag be removed from osm?

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Ticker Berkin
Hi

I seem to remember there was a suggestion a while ago (before may 2017)
to reorder the styles/default/polygons to move the include
'inc/*_polygons' up in the file to before "# building tag should be
last". I did this and had no problem with Lake Garda when I generated
italy-latest in July this year.

Ticker

Just found the thread:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2017q2/026788.html

On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 12:30 +0000, lig fietser wrote:

> Hi,
> I can reproduce your findings with the default style. With the
> generic new or my Openfietsmap style it renders fine so it seems
> style dependend.
> I found out the tourism=yes tag from the multipoly relation is the
> cause. Once removed, it renders. Can this be fixed in mkgmap (natural
> before tourism?) or should this tag be removed from osm?

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Enrico Liboni
Ticker, Lig - many thanks the lake is back now!  I moved 'inc/*_polygons' as suggested.

I'll test further to see if any adverse impact, but it does not seems the case so far. Guess this change should be made in the default style in next release, since we may have other lakes or bays that are labelled as tourist=yes - which may not be wrong for scenic touristic areas.

Thanks!
Enrico

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 7:20 PM Ticker Berkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I seem to remember there was a suggestion a while ago (before may 2017)
to reorder the styles/default/polygons to move the include
'inc/*_polygons' up in the file to before "# building tag should be
last". I did this and had no problem with Lake Garda when I generated
italy-latest in July this year.

Ticker

Just found the thread:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2017q2/026788.html

On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 12:30 +0000, lig fietser wrote:
> Hi,
> I can reproduce your findings with the default style. With the
> generic new or my Openfietsmap style it renders fine so it seems
> style dependend.
> I found out the tourism=yes tag from the multipoly relation is the
> cause. Once removed, it renders. Can this be fixed in mkgmap (natural
> before tourism?) or should this tag be removed from osm?

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Ticker Berkin
Maybe this should become a new thread on style/default:

I find the includes of inc/{landuse,water}_{points,lines,polygons}
pointless and unhelpful for various reasons:

1/ Each file is only included once so there is no advantage in avoiding
repetition.

2/ Checking the files to determine the behaviour for a tag is more
difficult - you can't just to a search from the top of 1 file.

3/ The contents of some of the files is not quite as the name suggests,
eg landuse_polygons tests for other tags.

4/ Some of the cases that you'd expect to be in the include file based
on its name have been moved out or duplicated into the parent file,
with intervening logic before the include, eg points and
landuse=military/village_green

5/ I suspect there are other cases where the contents of an include
file need to be scattered more intelligently into the parent file

Ticker

On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 21:42 +0200, Enrico Liboni wrote:

> Ticker, Lig - many thanks the lake is back now!  I moved
> 'inc/*_polygons' as suggested.
>
> I'll test further to see if any adverse impact, but it does not seems
> the case so far. Guess this change should be made in the default
> style in next release, since we may have other lakes or bays that are
> labelled as tourist=yes - which may not be wrong for scenic touristic
> areas.
>
> Thanks!
> Enrico
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 7:20 PM Ticker Berkin <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I seem to remember there was a suggestion a while ago (before may
> > 2017)
> > to reorder the styles/default/polygons to move the include
> > 'inc/*_polygons' up in the file to before "# building tag should be
> > last". I did this and had no problem with Lake Garda when I
> > generated
> > italy-latest in July this year.
> >
> > Ticker
> >
> > Just found the thread:
> > http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2017q2/026788.html
> >
> > On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 12:30 +0000, lig fietser wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I can reproduce your findings with the default style. With the
> > > generic new or my Openfietsmap style it renders fine so it seems
> > > style dependend.
> > > I found out the tourism=yes tag from the multipoly relation is
> > the
> > > cause. Once removed, it renders. Can this be fixed in mkgmap
> > (natural
> > > before tourism?) or should this tag be removed from osm?

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

sorry for the late response, I was cycling for a few weeks ;-)
I've now moved the two includes as I suggested in the post cited by Ticker.

@Steve: I don't know why you created these includes. I also think it would be easier to have the rules within the polygons file.

Gerd

Maybe this should become a new thread on style/default:

I find the includes of inc/{landuse,water}_{points,lines,polygons}
pointless and unhelpful for various reasons:

1/ Each file is only included once so there is no advantage in avoiding
repetition.

2/ Checking the files to determine the behaviour for a tag is more
difficult - you can't just to a search from the top of 1 file.

3/ The contents of some of the files is not quite as the name suggests,
eg landuse_polygons tests for other tags.

4/ Some of the cases that you'd expect to be in the include file based
on its name have been moved out or duplicated into the parent file,
with intervening logic before the include, eg points and
landuse=military/village_green

5/ I suspect there are other cases where the contents of an include
file need to be scattered more intelligently into the parent file

Ticker

On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 21:42 +0200, Enrico Liboni wrote:

> Ticker, Lig - many thanks the lake is back now!  I moved
> 'inc/*_polygons' as suggested.
>
> I'll test further to see if any adverse impact, but it does not seems
> the case so far. Guess this change should be made in the default
> style in next release, since we may have other lakes or bays that are
> labelled as tourist=yes - which may not be wrong for scenic touristic
> areas.
>
> Thanks!
> Enrico
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 7:20 PM Ticker Berkin <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I seem to remember there was a suggestion a while ago (before may
> > 2017)
> > to reorder the styles/default/polygons to move the include
> > 'inc/*_polygons' up in the file to before "# building tag should be
> > last". I did this and had no problem with Lake Garda when I
> > generated
> > italy-latest in July this year.
> >
> > Ticker
> >
> > Just found the thread:
> > http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2017q2/026788.html
> >
> > On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 12:30 +0000, lig fietser wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I can reproduce your findings with the default style. With the
> > > generic new or my Openfietsmap style it renders fine so it seems
> > > style dependend.
> > > I found out the tourism=yes tag from the multipoly relation is
> > the
> > > cause. Once removed, it renders. Can this be fixed in mkgmap
> > (natural
> > > before tourism?) or should this tag be removed from osm?

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi Gerd

> @Steve: I don't know why you created these includes. I also think it would be easier to have the rules within the polygons file.

No problem - if it is easier to have them within the file, then move them.

Steve

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Gerd Petermann
Hi Ticker,

please post a patch with your suggested improvements.

Gerd

No problem - if it is easier to have them within the file, then move them.

Steve

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Ticker Berkin
Hi Gerd

This patch moves the contents of inc/ landuse_points, landuse_polygons,
water_lines, water_points and water_polygons inline and deletes rules
if they have already occurred in the main file. IE there shouldn't be
any change in meaning.

After applying, you need to svn delete the above inc/ files

Regards
Ticker

On Fri, 2018-09-21 at 15:49 +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi Ticker,
>
> please post a patch with your suggested improvements.
>
> Gerd

unIncDefault.patch (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Lake Garda... is empty

Gerd Petermann
thanks, I never noticed the duplicate rules :O
@ all :If I hear no complains I plan to commit this patch next monday.