Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

Stadin, Benjamin

Hi,

I have a legal question about showing the attribution text on smartphones where the size of the view is limited. Is it ok to have our own logo clickable, and show a full web page with attribution when clicked? See the screenshot below (logo is in the lower left). Having two logos or an additional info button doesn’t fit well from both usability and design perspective.

Regards

Ben

Re: Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

Rory McCann-3
On 21/04/17 01:52, Stadin, Benjamin wrote:
> I have a legal question about showing the attribution text on
> smartphones where the size of the view is limited. Is it ok to have our
> own logo clickable, and show a full web page with attribution when
> clicked? See the screenshot below (logo is in the lower left). Having
> two logos or an additional info button doesn’t fit well from both
> usability and design perspective.

Section 4.3 of the ODbL licence covers the "attribution" aspect:

 > if you Publicly Use a
 > Produced Work, You must include a notice associated with the Produced
Work
 > reasonably calculated to make any Person that uses, views, accesses,
 > interacts with, or is otherwise exposed to the Produced Work aware that
 > Content was obtained from the Database, Derivative Database, or the
Database
 > as part of a Collective Database, and that it is available under this
 > License.

So I dunno? Maybe? There could be ways around it if you don't want to
include it on every map page. Does your app have a loading/spash screen?
Including an attribution there, which is shown every time the app is
started might meet the requirements.

On 21. Apr 2017, at 12:10, Rory McCann <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I dunno? Maybe? There could be ways around it if you don't want to include it on every map page. Does your app have a loading/spash screen? Including an attribution there, which is shown every time the app is started might meet the requirements.

have you seen this page?

generally, if there is enough space for your logo, there should also be for osm (on pages showing maps). If there's space for just one attribution, why not use it to attribute osm? The user will more likely be aware who you are (as he's using your app) than he will be that your map data comes from osm, so prioritizing OSM attribution seems to make sense

cheers,

Re: Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

Stadin, Benjamin

It’s not our app, but this is an (indoor) map SDK which can be integrated into other native iOS and Android apps. A list (UIActionSheet on iOS) appears when our logo is tapped, showing multiple links (including a link to www.openstreetmap.org/copyright). Having our logo visible is a legal requirement also, and it wouldn’t be convenient to place the list with multiple legal links not associated to OSM behind the OSM attribution logo or text.

If we need to show two logos it would waste space for navigation controls and building / floor selection UI elements.

Since the map view will be used in other apps, we cannot control what is shown on the splash screen. We can place it there for our own apps, and ask customers of our SDK to place it there. But from experience this is often forgotten, and I’d rather prefer a permanent solution and give credit to OSM one way or another on the map view.

Cheers

Ben

Re: Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

pierzen
When you present many layers of inforation, it is a challenge to avoid to encomber the map with too many information while providing attribution to all.

This UAVCompare map analyzes the situation in Mocoa, Colombia, following the mudslide at the beginning of april 2017. This map reflects the response of the Columbia OSM community in collaboration with some international OSM community members.

Adding / Selecting various layers from various providers, it is not easy to have both a good design and provide attribution to all. My choice was to have a dynamic attribution line at the bottom of the image that list the various image providers. Plus the Layer selection panel credit each image provider. Detailed information with url is accessible via the Credits url link at the bottom of the screen.

Pierre

De : "Stadin, Benjamin" <[hidden email]>
À : Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]>; Rory McCann <[hidden email]>
Cc : "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : samedi 22 avril 2017 18h30

[...]

SimonPoole

IMHO mobile devs tend to substantially exaggerate the screen real estate scarcity. Two to three sources as text lines is clearly doable, and you don't really need to have separate links on the main screen itself, just show a common attribution screen.

And: -you- control how much you want to show your logo, it is -not- a third party legal requirement, no reason you can't simply live with some text if you believe there is not enough space.

Simon

Am 23.04.2017 um 00:26 schrieb Stadin, Benjamin:

[...]

I need a legal advice, not a personal opinion about app design. That we need to show our own logo –we didn’t show it before but showed the OSM attribution text- has a solid legal background, which I won’t go into detail in a public mailing list. That we want to show only one logo on smartphones really has its reason also. We can show both on the iPad and Android tablets. And in our own apps, where we can control content and UI, we credit OSM at multiple places (legal or about page, as well as on the map view itself).

Cheers

Ben

Re: Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

SimonPoole
I hope you realize just how patently silly that post was.

But just in case you don't: you get legal advice from the counsel that you have engaged (and typically they will want money for that), you do not get it from a public developers mailing list (it is however the right place to get personal opinions on app design). Not only are there only a small number of people qualified to do so on the list, there are many legal (which you should know as a German company), liability and economic reasons why you will not get anything useful here.

You need to sit down with your counsel and go through your options and the associated risks and then decide what works best. Dealing with customers using your SDK and getting them to attribute the data sources correctly is going to be pain, just ask mapbox.

Simon

Am 23.04.2017 um 14:49 schrieb Stadin, Benjamin:

I need a legal advice, not a personal opinion about app design. That we need to show our own logo –we didn’t show it before but showed the OSM attribution text- has a solid legal background, which I won’t go into detail in a public mailing list. That we want to show only one logo on smartphones really has its reason also. We can show both on the iPad and Android tablets. And in our own apps, where we can control content and UI, we credit OSM at multiple places (legal or about page, as well as on the map view itself).

Cheers

Ben

Re: Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

Stadin, Benjamin
Simon, thanks but I'll also want to hear another feedback with somehwat more positive tone.

But since you mention Mapbox: They have their own logo in the lower left + a small info (i) button on the lower right. Tapping that (i) open a action sheet with OSM attribution and link. I think it's default, but not sure.

My interpretation about the OSM attribution requirements are that *any* form of link on size constrained devices is ok. I do not need a legal counsel, but ask (also in the legal-osm mailing list) about clarification if this assumption is correct.

If you find this too silly, then let someone else respond who can clarify about what OSM attribution requires and if my assumption is right or not. And who may have the right to adjust such statement on the OSM legal site where this is not exactly clear. It really isn't.

Whatever the legal requirements are - we'll fulfill them. As it stands the requirements aren't clear in this regard.

Cheers
Ben

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 23.04.2017 um 16:18 schrieb Simon Poole <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Wesley Duffee-Braun
Hi all,

My interpretation (IANAL) is that, based on the following (from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ)

  • For a browsable electronic map (e.g. embedded in a web page or mobile phone application), the credit should appear in the corner of the map, as commonly seen with map APIs/libraries such as Google Maps.

there should be the text ""© OpenStreetMap contributors" and a link to the www.openstreetmap.org/copyright or www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl pages. The FAQ says "contributors" can be omitted if need be for space.

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Stadin, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think the legal requirements are likely left vague on the FAQ so each developer can adapt/interpret them to their particular UI/view/etc. The only "must" I've found is "You must make it clear that the data is available under the Open Database Licence. This can be achieved by providing a "License" or "Terms" link which links to www.openstreetmap.org/copyright or www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl." (from the OSM Foundation's Legal page - http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License - but the page continues with more on some options of *where* to put that attribution.

I second Simon's point - that getting legal counsel's input is the surest way to be covered. A mailing list can give input and context on what others have done, but providing your counsel with the OSM and OSMF's Legal pages should give them clarity on what is required.

Thanks,
Wesley

[...]

Richard Fairhurst
Benjamin Stadin wrote:
> If you find this too silly, then let someone else respond who can
> clarify about what OSM attribution requires and if my assumption
> is right or not. And who may have the right to adjust such
> statement on the OSM legal site where this is not exactly clear.
> It really isn't.
>
> Whatever the legal requirements are - we'll fulfill them.

Here's something clear:

If you're trying to do the minimum possible by the legalities [1], then you're doing it wrong.

OSM has been assembled by thousands of volunteers in countless hours of their donated time. It is the world's best geodata, paid or free. To license the equivalent from Google or TomTom or HERE costs you £££ or €€€ or $$$. OSM is better data and costs you nothing.

If your response to that is "how can we legally get out of showing an on-screen credit for OSM while maximising space for our own brand"... why? Why would you do that?

Aim to do better. Have an on-screen credit and be proud of it. Have an easily accessible landing page on your website which explains to people how to contribute to OSM and make it better. Be the SDK that OSM contributors are proud to recommend rather than the one they're ashamed of. Be the good guys, not the guys who got given a free pony but refused to say who gave it.[2]

Richard

[1] Legal footnote: ODbL 4.3 says you must include attribution "reasonably calculated to make any Person... aware that Content was obtained from the Database". OSM has traditionally taken the consensus view that "reasonably calculated" means "what other providers are doing". So if Google and HERE would insist on an on-screen credit in your case, ODbL 4.3 would imply that OSM also requires one. But this really isn't the point.

[2] https://twitter.com/Anonymaps/statuses/651704467390398464

Re: Legal question about attribution text on smartphone

> On 23. Apr 2017, at 00:26, Stadin, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (UIActionSheet on iOS)

As a side note UIActionSheet is deprecated since iOS8 (2014)