Links with name

Petra Rajka - (p)

Hi,

During our mapping in Australia we’ve discovered that several road links have name. Usually there are 3 cases:

    1. links take name from the upcoming road with the extra Onramp/Offramp/Exit prefix

ex. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4972970

    1. links take name from the upcoming road exactly as it is

ex. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/15958927

    1. links (or other way categories) between dual carriageways take the name from one of the adjacent roads

ex. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/172829556

In our mapping process we use this wiki page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_link where it’s specified that links shouldn’t have name, so we are wondering if there are any local rules/conventions regarding this in Australia? Should the links have name? It’s a particularity we didn’t found until now.

Best regards,

Petra

Re: Links with name

Mark Pulley
That third example is part of the residential street https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/172830002 so that name should be kept. (Should it be reclassified as residential?)

Mark P.

On 12 Feb 2019, at 6:22 pm, Petra Rajka - (p) <[hidden email]> wrote:
    1. links (or other way categories) between dual carriageways take the name from one of the adjacent roads

Re: Links with name

Alex Sims

Hi Petra,

I delete names like on example (2) on sight, it is confusing to give something a name that doesn’t actually have one, or it may be contested and also confuses most routing systems trying to produce meaningful directions and displays on GPS.

I’ve never seen case (1) and it looks pretty, ..meh.., and should be deleted in the same way as type (1) unless you can actually find a street-sign bearing the name, which I doubt exists. Looks like mapping for the renderer.

For example (3) there is a choice, remove the name and leave as a link (of the higher class road) or alternatively change the road type to that of the minor road. So either  “highway=residential”,”name=Jennings Street” or “highway=tertiary_link” will do. I would look at imagery to decide between the two as to which better resembles what is on the ground. There seems to be a slip lane on the street turning into Jennings Street, so I would go with “highway=tertiary_link”.

Alex

Re: Links with name

Joel H.-2

Linking roads should (generally speaking) never have names, an update to the ID editor now displays Destination instead of name for input. My suggestion would be to change the Offramp prefixes to:

destination= The places mentioned on the exit sign

destination:street= The road name that is at the end

destination:ref= The road ref that is at the end

destination:network= Only if destination road has a network tag.

This is what I've been doing, What does everyone think?