Livestock=* to specify the livestock animals in a farmyard or meadow?

Re: Livestock=* to specify the livestock animals in a farmyard or meadow?

Joseph Eisenberg
Re: animal:goat=yes and animal:sheep=yes vs animal/livestock=goat;sheep

I think this is a situation where it's ok to use semi-colon separated
values, since otherwise we would have quite a long list of keys (there
are 838 values for animal=* currently, and at least several hundred of
those are specific animal names). Since this is a property tag, rather
than a tag that specifies a particular feature, it's okay to use a
semicolon.

Also, animal:de, animal:fr and 6 other language codes have already
been used in this namespace, so it would be difficult for an editor to
offer a proper list of animal names by just looking for all keys in
the format "animal:<type_of_animal>=*".

While there are a large number of animals kept in captivity, livestock
in particular prefers to land animals that have value to agriculture,
mainly for meat (or milk) production, though also including draft
animals like horses, donkeys, oxen and water buffalo; the idea is that
"livestock" is a farmer's valuable property which consists of live
animals, as opposed to animal products or land, so it usually excludes
pets which do not have economic value, and animals hunted but not
owned. This makes the possible list much shorter (maybe 100 types of
livestock total?), helpful for mappers to find in a preset or
drop-down.

Since aquaculture has it's own tag, I think zoos can keep animal=* for
the whole list of possible captive animals, and livestock=* could
focus on the smaller list of those found in pastures, paddocks, barns
and farmyards.

On 19/08/19 20:17, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> What is the best tag to specify the livestock animals in a farmyard or meadow?

Along with crop rotation, livestock are also rotated from one place to another, probably on a more frequent basis.

How many mappers will keep the presence of the animals up to date?

Or is this not a tag for the presence of the animals?

What is this 'specify'???

Re: Livestock=* to specify the livestock animals in a farmyard or meadow?

Joseph Eisenberg
That's true. As with crops, there should be a mention that it's a good
idea to only tag the specific livestock animal at a feature if this is
something that is expected to be true in the mid to long-term.

A cattle yard or feedlot is pretty much specifically designed for
cattle; a chicken farm usually has buildings and fencing pretty
specifically designed for chickens, so these could be tagged with
confidence. If it's an old-fashioned farm that runs a variety of
animals in a certain area of pasture at different times, that would
harder to tag and maintain, and wouldn't be recommended. But modern
commercial farms tend to be very specialized in many countries now
days.