Local Chapter

Graeme Fitzpatrick
There was mention late last year of setting up a local Chapter

Just been doing some random browsing & found this

Is any of that info still relevant?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Local Chapter

John Bryant
Hi Graeme, thanks a lot for bringing it up, it's a good opportunity to share a work-in-progress.

Yes, there is work going on right now, and apologies for not making it more widely known... we're scrambling a bit to pull together both this and the 2019 conference, trying to get a number of balls rolling at once.

The committee that organised FOSS4G SotM Oceania in November is in the process of doing the legwork to form an entity. Right now, we are pulling together a draft recommendation that we'll share with the community for feedback. Aiming to have this draft complete by the 15th, and then open it up to the community for a two week consultation period. Presuming that leads to a recommendation to form an entity, we should have something in place by the end of April.

Forming local chapters of OSMF and OSGeo is one of the key reasons to do this - also it will make it a lot easier to manage funds and sign contracts when organising community events like the conference.

Again, sorry for the lack of communication - we definitely intend to grow this organisation, the immediate priority is to build a strong foundation, and to do this we need to communicate. Hopefully we can catch our breath shortly here and re-prioritise the engagement of the community. In the meantime, what kinds of activities would you see a local chapter of OSMF undertaking?

Cheers
John

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 13:08, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
There was mention late last year of setting up a local Chapter

Just been doing some random browsing & found this

Is any of that info still relevant?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Local Chapter

Vilppola, Ritva

Hi John/Graeme and OSM Team,

I’m quite new to OSM but am getting fantastic help by Joel and Stephane from OSM Brisbane in organising Mapathon events with the local QLD Engineers Without Borders (EWB) chapter which I am a part of.

I am interested in getting involved if there is to be a local OSM Brisbane/QLD Chapter- there is a lot of interest from the EWB community (as well as the company I work for) in regards to Missing Maps events and is something I would like to get our chapters involved with OSM nationally!

Cheers,

Ritva Vilppola
Sustainability Consultant

T: +7 3535 1518

[hidden email]

WSP Australia Pty Limited
Level 12, 900 Ann Street
Fortitude Valley, QLD
4006  Australia

wsp.com

This message, including any document or file attached, is intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. Any other person is strictly prohibited from reading, using, disclosing or copying this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the message. Thank you.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/Australia, which discussed the same thing back in 2010.

Is any of that info still relevant?

Thanks

Graeme

NOTICE: This communication and any attachments ("this message") may contain information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise subject to restricted disclosure under applicable law. This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use, disclosure, viewing, copying, alteration, dissemination or distribution of, or reliance on, this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or you are not an authorized or intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, delete this message and all copies from your e-mail system and destroy any printed copies.

-LAEmHhHzdJzBlTWfa4Hgs7pbKl

Re: Local Chapter

John Bryant
Maritjn, thank you, that would be much appreciated!

Andrew Harvey is on our Board and will likely want to be involved in this as well, I imagine. There has been some talk about an OSM sub-committee of sorts, I suppose this will come in due course but thought it might become relevant to this discussion.

Re: timing - I'd think we'd be keen to gain local chapter status as soon as possible after we form an entity (targeting end April), so perhaps we can aim to make a submission to OSMF in early May? This would likely help us build up the SotM part of FOSS4G SotM Oceania...

Cheers
John

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 08:07, Martijn van Exel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew Harvey-3
Hi All,

As my role on the OSGeo Oceania board I've been drafting up OSGeo
Oceania's application to become an OSMF Local Chapter, at the moment
the application is still in the works but any comments are most
welcome.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GAMY_pLAUMXe-PjJhQ4C4Eqvn2rq9xEt2mse3WexNxg/

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 10:02, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Again, sorry for the lack of communication - we definitely intend to grow this organisation, the immediate priority is to build a strong foundation, and to do this we need to communicate. Hopefully we can catch our breath shortly here and re-prioritise the engagement of the community. In the meantime, what kinds of activities would you see a local chapter of OSMF undertaking?
>>
>> Cheers
>> John
>>
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 13:08, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> There was mention late last year of setting up a local Chapter
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2018-December/012227.html, but haven't heard anything further since?
>>>
>>> Just been doing some random browsing & found this

Re: Local Chapter

SimonPoole
I think my immediate and largest concern if I was reviewing the
application (which I am not) would be: Oceania isn't just about Australia.

Have OSM communities outside of AUS (and NZ) even been addressed? While
not totally cast in stone, there is an assumption that territorial
chapters are awarded exclusive rights for the territories in question
and I'm fairly sure the application will blow up in a big way if this is
not considered.

Simon

Am 18.05.2019 um 07:48 schrieb Andrew Harvey:

> Hi All,
>
> As my role on the OSGeo Oceania board I've been drafting up OSGeo
> Oceania's application to become an OSMF Local Chapter, at the moment
> the application is still in the works but any comments are most
> welcome.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GAMY_pLAUMXe-PjJhQ4C4Eqvn2rq9xEt2mse3WexNxg/
>

> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 10:02, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maritjn, thank you, that would be much appreciated!
>>
>> Andrew Harvey is on our Board and will likely want to be involved in this as well, I imagine. There has been some talk about an OSM sub-committee of sorts, I suppose this will come in due course but thought it might become relevant to this discussion.
>>
>> Re: timing - I'd think we'd be keen to gain local chapter status as soon as possible after we form an entity (targeting end April), so perhaps we can aim to make a submission to OSMF in early May? This would likely help us build up the SotM part of FOSS4G SotM Oceania...
>>
>> Cheers
>> John
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 08:07, Martijn van Exel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> John — I used to be OSMF secretary and have guided multiple local groups through the OSMF LC application process. I am no longer on the board but know the current secretary, and am happy to help with the process if needed.
>>>
>>> Martijn
>>>
>>> On Mar 4, 2019, at 8:41 PM, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Graeme, thanks a lot for bringing it up, it's a good opportunity to share a work-in-progress.
>>>
>>> Yes, there is work going on right now, and apologies for not making it more widely known... we're scrambling a bit to pull together both this and the 2019 conference, trying to get a number of balls rolling at once.
>>>
>>> The committee that organised FOSS4G SotM Oceania in November is in the process of doing the legwork to form an entity. Right now, we are pulling together a draft recommendation that we'll share with the community for feedback. Aiming to have this draft complete by the 15th, and then open it up to the community for a two week consultation period. Presuming that leads to a recommendation to form an entity, we should have something in place by the end of April.
>>>
>>> Forming local chapters of OSMF and OSGeo is one of the key reasons to do this - also it will make it a lot easier to manage funds and sign contracts when organising community events like the conference.
>>>
>>> Again, sorry for the lack of communication - we definitely intend to grow this organisation, the immediate priority is to build a strong foundation, and to do this we need to communicate. Hopefully we can catch our breath shortly here and re-prioritise the engagement of the community. In the meantime, what kinds of activities would you see a local chapter of OSMF undertaking?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> John

Re: Local Chapter

Andrew Harvey-3
On Sat, 18 May 2019 at 19:12, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think my immediate and largest concern if I was reviewing the
application (which I am not) would be: Oceania isn't just about Australia.

I would expect nothing less from the OSMF.

Have OSM communities outside of AUS (and NZ) even been addressed? While
not totally cast in stone, there is an assumption that territorial
chapters are awarded exclusive rights for the territories in question
and I'm fairly sure the application will blow up in a big way if this is
not considered.

I agree. There has been bit of discussion within the OSGeo Oceania committee regarding this.

My opinion is we should only include countries where the local OSM community actively voice they want it.

Re: Local Chapter

Edoardo Neerhut
Thanks for the effort you've put into this Andrew.

Simon, you raise a good point! What do you all think is an effective way to get this input? Reach out to people we know are active mappers in Oceania and see if they would like their country to be represented?

On Mon, 27 May 2019 at 13:06, Edoardo Neerhut <[hidden email]> wrote:
Simon, you raise a good point! What do you all think is an effective way to get this input? Reach out to people we know are active mappers in Oceania and see if they would like their country to be represented?

On Sat, 18 May 2019 at 21:18, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 18 May 2019 at 19:12, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think my immediate and largest concern if I was reviewing the
application (which I am not) would be: Oceania isn't just about Australia.

I would expect nothing less from the OSMF.

Have OSM communities outside of AUS (and NZ) even been addressed? While
not totally cast in stone, there is an assumption that territorial
chapters are awarded exclusive rights for the territories in question
and I'm fairly sure the application will blow up in a big way if this is
not considered.

I agree that Simon has raised a very valid point, but, without wishing to sound rude or condescending in any way, would the various small island nations have the resources to set up their own Chapters?

I agree. There has been bit of discussion within the OSGeo Oceania committee regarding this.

My opinion is we should only include countries where the local OSM community actively voice they want it.

Are there even any OSM mappers in some of them?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Local Chapter

Ewen Hill
Andrew John, Ed et al,
   The proposal looks good however do we need to discuss the inclusion of Hawaii and perhaps Guam as they may be more appropriate under a US auspices or is it best to use the UN definition that excludes a number of these to be succinctly clear what is in and what is not.

Ewen

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 15:37, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia

Re: Local Chapter

John Bryant
Great questions...

Re: geographic extent, one of the definitions we've been using for other purposes (eg conference travel grants) is the UN geoscheme for Oceania:

But I personally agree that we need to reach out and canvass any local communities that may exist, for their thoughts. We do have some reach via existing OSGeo community, mailing lists, travel grant program, and other networks.

After putting in our best effort, if there are countries where there is no feedback, are we in a position to form a regional chapter including those countries, under the assumption that we aren't stepping on any toes?

John

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 20:08, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: geographic extent, one of the definitions we've been using for other purposes (eg conference travel grants) is the UN geoscheme for Oceania:

Interesting bit I just noticed off that map / list ...

Sub-regions are A-NZ, Micro-, Mela- & Polynesia, none of which include Hawaii, but Honolulu is listed as one of the largest cities?

I think we would definitely be stepping on toes if we tried to pinch Hawaii! :-) (although I don't know how Guam, New Caledonia etc would work - as mentioned, Oceania or US & France? I can see that there is a New Caledonia mailing list, but no separate list for Hawaii or any of the other Pacific nations.)

But I personally agree that we need to reach out and canvass any local communities that may exist, for their thoughts. We do have some reach via existing OSGeo community, mailing lists, travel grant program, and other networks.

After putting in our best effort, if there are countries where there is no feedback, are we in a position to form a regional chapter including those countries, under the assumption that we aren't stepping on any toes?

I would think we'd be OK, as long as we can show that we've made the effort?

& if, some years down the track, "Palau" (picking a name at random) wanted to form it's own chapter, I would think we would then offer them every assistance possible :-)

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Local Chapter

Sebastian Spiess
What is the benefit of including these regions if there is no representation? (Based in the assumption that no one will claim representation)

What about an opt in/out for these regions? If at a later point in time a separate chapter wants to form they should be able to. Or maybe the general view is that a larger chapter can achieve more for these smaller regions.

On 2 June 2019 11:29:19 am GMT+08:00, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Good morning,
    Perhaps a general clause in there to state that we strive to encourage local determination and to assist and support in this process within the bounds of the master agreement and to encourage all countries and regions to be both proactive and representative and not to discriminate through language, culture and distance.

    We don't know what the next decade will through us, both politically and technically. Let's state that the organisation is all-encompassing and work through the issues if and when they occur.

Ewen

Ewen

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 13:31, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
But I personally agree that we need to reach out and canvass any local communities that may exist, for their thoughts. We do have some reach via existing OSGeo community, mailing lists, travel grant program, and other networks.

After putting in our best effort, if there are countries where there is no feedback, are we in a position to form a regional chapter including those countries, under the assumption that we aren't stepping on any toes?

I would think we'd be OK, as long as we can show that we've made the effort?

& if, some years down the track, "Palau" (picking a name at random) wanted to form it's own chapter, I would think we would then offer them every assistance possible :-)

In an effort to try to outreach existing OSM community members in Oceania, I've taken a look at recent contributors to Oceania countries at http://osmstats.neis-one.org/?item=countries, although it only shows activity from the last two months, most of the top contributors are likely just on holidays or remote mapping, so it's proving hard to identify any locals who are already in the community.

I did send a message to a few from New Caledonia, so I'll see if I heard back.

Re: Local Chapter

Andrew Harvey-3
On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 at 22:51, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I did send a message to a few from New Caledonia, so I'll see if I heard back.

I got a few people reply with feedback that they thought it would be good to include New Caledonia.