LocalSlippymap=0 in config.defaults - I would like a slippymap copy

LocalSlippymap=0 in config.defaults - I would like a slippymap copy

Niklas Cholmkvist
Hi,

After I upload the rendered tiles to the project server I would like to
have a local copy of the rendered map tiles so I can use them in
tangogps. (to have my own rendered maps also on my own computer)

Some of the pages in the osm wiki suggest I should use a
"LocalSlippymap=./DirectoryName" option in the file tilesAtHome.conf .
Is the option valid for that file? Myself by doing a search in the
tilesathome folder I found an "Localslippymap=0" option in the file
config.defaults

I would like both an upload and a local copy in "slippy-map-format".

Regards,
Niklas

Re: LocalSlippymap=0 in config.defaults - I would like a slippymap copy

spaetz
On 2010-09-23, Niklas Cholmkvist wrote:
> I would like both an upload and a local copy in "slippy-map-format".

I am not sure if both uploading and keeping locally is possible by
default. You can alwable the "keep data" option (not sure about the
exact name), but that will keep more than you want.

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 07:22 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> On 2010-09-23, Niklas Cholmkvist wrote:
> > I would like both an upload and a local copy in "slippy-map-format".
>
> I am not sure if both uploading and keeping locally is possible by
> default.
I found 5 files with reference to "LocalSlippymap": config.defaults,
tilesGen.pl, lib/TahConf.pm, lib/Tileset.pm and lib/Upload.pm.

In tilesGen.pl it says "print STDERR "Config option LocalSlippymap is
set. Downloading requests from the server in this mode would take them
from the tiles\@home queue and never upload the results. Program
aborted." or in the other files it is written
"No upload - LocalSlippymap set in config file" and "- Writing LOCAL
slippy map directory hierarchy, no uploading\n"

> You can alwable the "keep data" option (not sure about the
> exact name), but that will keep more than you want.
Made a search for "keep data", no results.
I want this because I'm thinking of using the imagery I uploaded 'as is'
on a localhost web server wishing that it would remain in a way that I don't need to make
any changes.(thus I could insert the localhost URI in tangogps)
I would not like to put an extra load on the T@h server.
Some load was already put by me uploading rendered images. I would
not like to download the same images in tangogps because it would
waste your bandwidth.(and maybe some load on the machines)

Regards,
Niklas

Re: LocalSlippymap=0 in config.defaults - I would like a slippymap copy

Florian Groß
Am Freitag 24 September 2010, 08:44:06 glaubte Niklas Cholmkvist zu wissen:

> On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 07:22 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> > On 2010-09-23, Niklas Cholmkvist wrote:
> > > I would like both an upload and a local copy in "slippy-map-format".
> >
> > I am not sure if both uploading and keeping locally is possible by
> > default.
> I found 5 files with reference to "LocalSlippymap": config.defaults,
> tilesGen.pl, lib/TahConf.pm, lib/Tileset.pm and lib/Upload.pm.
>
> In tilesGen.pl it says "print STDERR "Config option LocalSlippymap is
> set. Downloading requests from the server in this mode would take them
> from the tiles\@home queue and never upload the results. Program
> aborted." or in the other files it is written
> "No upload - LocalSlippymap set in config file" and "- Writing LOCAL
> slippy map directory hierarchy, no uploading\n"
>
> > You can alwable the "keep data" option (not sure about the
> > exact name), but that will keep more than you want.
> Made a search for "keep data", no results.
> I want this because I'm thinking of using the imagery I uploaded 'as is'
> on a localhost web server wishing that it would remain in a way that I don't need to make
> any changes.(thus I could insert the localhost URI in tangogps)
> I would not like to put an extra load on the T@h server.
> Some load was already put by me uploading rendered images. I would
> not like to download the same images in tangogps because it would
> waste your bandwidth.(and maybe some load on the machines)

I got an idea, if nothing works:

- let your client upload to a directory (e.g. dir_a)
- make a script which copy the files in the directory with your local
  copy (e.g. local_copy) and then move the files from dir_a to a
  directory uploadable
- let this script run once a minute
- let a second instance of the client upload the files from
  the directory uploadable to the server

flo, hoping somebody understand what i mean ;-)
--
Wenn zwei Frauen drei Wochen lang auf jemanden eingeredet haben, wird
der einen Bestatter oder, wenn er Glück hat, einen Psychiater brauchen.

Re: LocalSlippymap=0 in config.defaults - I would like a slippymap copy

Niklas Cholmkvist
Hi Florian,

Sorry, mistake. I sent it directly to you. Now sending to the list.

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 01:13 +0200, Florian Gross wrote:
<SNIP>
> I got an idea, if nothing works:
> <snip>
> - make a script which copy the files in the directory with your local
>   copy (e.g. local_copy) and then move the files from dir_a to a
>   directory uploadable
The script will copy the files from the '/tmp' directory to a folder
where I have my local copy (local_copy directory) while the tilesathome
program is running, according to my interpretation.

> - let this script run once a minute
Then it will copy and overwrite files to the directory local_copy each
minute I guess.

> - let a second instance of the client upload the files from
>   the directory uploadable to the server
The first instance is already uploading, but my script copies
all the temporary files to my local_copy directory.

> flo, hoping somebody understand what i mean ;-)
Just my interpretation. I don't know if I got it right.

Re: LocalSlippymap=0 in config.defaults - I would like a slippymap copy

Dirk-Lüder Kreie
Am 24.09.2010 08:44, schrieb Niklas Cholmkvist:

> On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 07:22 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
>> On 2010-09-23, Niklas Cholmkvist wrote:
>>> I would like both an upload and a local copy in "slippy-map-format".
>>
>> I am not sure if both uploading and keeping locally is possible by
>> default.
> I found 5 files with reference to "LocalSlippymap": config.defaults,
> tilesGen.pl, lib/TahConf.pm, lib/Tileset.pm and lib/Upload.pm.
>
> In tilesGen.pl it says "print STDERR "Config option LocalSlippymap is
> set. Downloading requests from the server in this mode would take them
> from the tiles\@home queue and never upload the results. Program
> aborted." or in the other files it is written
> "No upload - LocalSlippymap set in config file" and "- Writing LOCAL
> slippy map directory hierarchy, no uploading\n"
This is because users rendering their own slippy map would normally not
contribute to the server because a) they only are interested in a
relatively small area, and thus wouldn't be interested in the requests
from the server from all over the world and b) would have the client run
in xy mode for their area, which would mean if uploaded the server would
have to have coped with all the additional tilesets, which used to be a
bottleneck.

>> You can alwable the "keep data" option (not sure about the
>> exact name), but that will keep more than you want.
> Made a search for "keep data", no results.
> I want this because I'm thinking of using the imagery I uploaded 'as is'
> on a localhost web server wishing that it would remain in a way that I don't need to make
> any changes.(thus I could insert the localhost URI in tangogps)
> I would not like to put an extra load on the T@h server.
> Some load was already put by me uploading rendered images. I would
> not like to download the same images in tangogps because it would
> waste your bandwidth.(and maybe some load on the machines)
There is no usage policy on the tileserver, because currently there is
no need for it, so you don't really waste the bandwidth (Although spaetz
has the final say on this).

If you want to render areas for your tangogps, I would be willing to
cooperate modifying the client to make that easier, not least because
I'm a tangogps user as well.

You could also install the tileset serving code on your localhost, so
tangogps can fetch from the webserver, and you would only need to divert
the tileset files to the webserver (most of the needed code for that is
already in the client).

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E