Localized routing instructions

Ciprian Talaba-2
I see that for now we can get instructions only in English and German.
How can we help to get this instructions in other languages as well?

Thanks,
Ciprian

Re: Localized routing instructions

Mykola Palienko
Thanks for the interest and proposed help,
we will try to make the translation mechanism available to community next couple of days.

Regards, Mykola

Ciprian Talaba-2 wrote
I see that for now we can get instructions only in English and German.
How can we help to get this instructions in other languages as well?

Thanks,
Ciprian

Re: Localized routing instructions

jaakl

What about instructions which could be translated in the client side?
Currently GPX has almost all data for that (data in <extensions> element),
except street name, which is only in desc element. If placenames would be
also inside <extensions> element, then client could ignore original desc
element and generate natural language sentences in any language (including
audio and different visual rendering methods).

Thinking of multi-language, tags would be either something like <name:en>,
<name:de>, <name:ru> etc; or you specify language(s) in request, then
placename language can be chosen based on that (English only if requested
language name tag is not available).

Of course, server-side translation engine would be also useful for many
apps.

/Jaak

Nick Black-2
Jaak + list,

We've been thinking about ways to expand the routing instructions we
give beyond English and German.  An idea we had (inspired by Jaak's
previous suggestions) was to allow the individual developer to create
a range of presets via a web interface or an API.  The presets would
include language presets - so something like:

"Head southeast on Sägerstraße, 0.2 km"

Would have a user definable section:

"<USER DEFINABLE> Sägerstraße, 0.2 km"

You would be able to browse and use other people's sets of presets, or
edit and build upon other people's presets.  Or you'd be able to start
from scratch.

What do you think?

On 2 Mar 2009, at 09:53, Jaak Laineste wrote:

> What about instructions which could be translated in the client side?
> Currently GPX has almost all data for that (data in <extensions>
> element),
> except street name, which is only in desc element. If placenames
> would be
> also inside <extensions> element, then client could ignore original
> desc
> element and generate natural language sentences in any language
> (including
> audio and different visual rendering methods).
>
> Thinking of multi-language, tags would be either something like
> <name:en>,
> <name:de>, <name:ru> etc; or you specify language(s) in request, then
> placename language can be chosen based on that (English only if
> requested
> language name tag is not available).
>
> Of course, server-side translation engine would be also useful for
> many
> apps.
>
> /Jaak

>>> Ciprian