London, network=Barclays Cycle Hire

Dan S
Hi all,

Exactly 1 year ago, Harry pointed out that most of London's bike hire
scheme was still tagged as "Barclays Cycle Hire" even though it's not
called that any more.
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_United_Kingdom_London_Cycle_Hire#Santander_Cycles>

He said: "I think this is a case where (PROPOSAL) we Londoners should
be bold and swap them all over as a single edit."

I concurred back then, and I still do. I invite opinions as to the
best value to put in the network=* tag (see the discussion on the
wiki, for some suggestions). I've pasted at the end of this email, the
current counts of values used.

I'd like to propose carrying out that edit, i.e. a simple edit to the
network=* values listed below, for amenity=bicycle_rental. (Note that
we'd avoid editing other network=* values such as "Brompton Dock",
different scheme.)

Best
Dan

    422     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire"
      1     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme"
      1     "network": "Barkleys Cycle Hire"
      1     "network": "Santander"
     20     "network": "Santander Cycle Hire"
     42     "network": "Santander Cycles"
      1     "network": "TfL"
      1     "network": "TFL"
      3     "network": "TfL Cycle Hire"
      1     "network": "TFL Cycle Hire"

Re: London, network=Barclays Cycle Hire

Philip Barnes
I see no problem with this edit, however should we keep changing the
name of the sponsor, or should we be even more bold and simply call it
London Cycle Hire, or similar, in the same way the BBC refer to the FA
Cup rather than the name of the sponsor it happens to have this year?

My 2 pence worth.

Phil (trigpoint)

On Sat, 2017-02-18 at 12:31 +0000, Dan S wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Exactly 1 year ago, Harry pointed out that most of London's bike hire
> scheme was still tagged as "Barclays Cycle Hire" even though it's not
> called that any more.
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_United_Kingdom_
> London_Cycle_Hire#Santander_Cycles>
>
> He said: "I think this is a case where (PROPOSAL) we Londoners should
> be bold and swap them all over as a single edit."
>
> I concurred back then, and I still do. I invite opinions as to the
> best value to put in the network=* tag (see the discussion on the
> wiki, for some suggestions). I've pasted at the end of this email,
> the
> current counts of values used.
>
> I'd like to propose carrying out that edit, i.e. a simple edit to the
> network=* values listed below, for amenity=bicycle_rental. (Note that
> we'd avoid editing other network=* values such as "Brompton Dock",
> different scheme.)
>
> Best
> Dan
>

>     422     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire"
>       1     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme"
>       1     "network": "Barkleys Cycle Hire"
>       1     "network": "Santander"
>      20     "network": "Santander Cycle Hire"
>      42     "network": "Santander Cycles"
>       1     "network": "TfL"
>       1     "network": "TFL"
>       3     "network": "TfL Cycle Hire"
>       1     "network": "TFL Cycle Hire"

Re: London, network=Barclays Cycle Hire

Phillip Barnett-2
+1 for simplifying name. Adding the name of 'sponsor of the week' adds nothing to the utility of the map, and just means extra work for no benefit. We are under no obligation to promote the sponsor.

> On 18 Feb 2017, at 12:43, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I see no problem with this edit, however should we keep changing the
> name of the sponsor, or should we be even more bold and simply call it
> London Cycle Hire, or similar, in the same way the BBC refer to the FA
> Cup rather than the name of the sponsor it happens to have this year?
>
> My 2 pence worth.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)
>

>> On Sat, 2017-02-18 at 12:31 +0000, Dan S wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Exactly 1 year ago, Harry pointed out that most of London's bike hire
>> scheme was still tagged as "Barclays Cycle Hire" even though it's not
>> called that any more.
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_United_Kingdom_
>> London_Cycle_Hire#Santander_Cycles>
>>
>> He said: "I think this is a case where (PROPOSAL) we Londoners should
>> be bold and swap them all over as a single edit."
>>
>> I concurred back then, and I still do. I invite opinions as to the
>> best value to put in the network=* tag (see the discussion on the
>> wiki, for some suggestions). I've pasted at the end of this email,
>> the
>> current counts of values used.
>>
>> I'd like to propose carrying out that edit, i.e. a simple edit to the
>> network=* values listed below, for amenity=bicycle_rental. (Note that
>> we'd avoid editing other network=* values such as "Brompton Dock",
>> different scheme.)
>>
>> Best
>> Dan
>>

>>     422     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire"
>>       1     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme"
>>       1     "network": "Barkleys Cycle Hire"
>>       1     "network": "Santander"
>>      20     "network": "Santander Cycle Hire"
>>      42     "network": "Santander Cycles"
>>       1     "network": "TfL"
>>       1     "network": "TFL"
>>       3     "network": "TfL Cycle Hire"
>>       1     "network": "TFL Cycle Hire"

Re: London, network=Barclays Cycle Hire

Dan S
Thanks. Yes I agree. I was thinking of suggesting network="TfL Cycle
Hire". But then, given that capitalisation can be a pain, maybe
network="tfl_cycle_hire"?

Dan

> +1 for simplifying name. Adding the name of 'sponsor of the week' adds nothing to the utility of the map, and just means extra work for no benefit. We are under no obligation to promote the sponsor.
>

>> On 18 Feb 2017, at 12:43, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I see no problem with this edit, however should we keep changing the
>> name of the sponsor, or should we be even more bold and simply call it
>> London Cycle Hire, or similar, in the same way the BBC refer to the FA
>> Cup rather than the name of the sponsor it happens to have this year?
>>
>> My 2 pence worth.
>>
>> Phil (trigpoint)
>>

>>> On Sat, 2017-02-18 at 12:31 +0000, Dan S wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Exactly 1 year ago, Harry pointed out that most of London's bike hire
>>> scheme was still tagged as "Barclays Cycle Hire" even though it's not
>>> called that any more.
>>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_United_Kingdom_
>>> London_Cycle_Hire#Santander_Cycles>
>>>
>>> He said: "I think this is a case where (PROPOSAL) we Londoners should
>>> be bold and swap them all over as a single edit."
>>>
>>> I concurred back then, and I still do. I invite opinions as to the
>>> best value to put in the network=* tag (see the discussion on the
>>> wiki, for some suggestions). I've pasted at the end of this email,
>>> the
>>> current counts of values used.
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose carrying out that edit, i.e. a simple edit to the
>>> network=* values listed below, for amenity=bicycle_rental. (Note that
>>> we'd avoid editing other network=* values such as "Brompton Dock",
>>> different scheme.)
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Dan
>>>

>>>     422     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire"
>>>       1     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme"
>>>       1     "network": "Barkleys Cycle Hire"
>>>       1     "network": "Santander"
>>>      20     "network": "Santander Cycle Hire"
>>>      42     "network": "Santander Cycles"
>>>       1     "network": "TfL"
>>>       1     "network": "TFL"
>>>       3     "network": "TfL Cycle Hire"
>>>       1     "network": "TFL Cycle Hire"

Re: London, network=Barclays Cycle Hire

Dan S
Thanks all for the comments. So I'll plan to make this change soon. I
made an "automated edit" page to officially describe the change:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/mcld

Best
Dan

> Hi all,
>
> Exactly 1 year ago, Harry pointed out that most of London's bike hire
> scheme was still tagged as "Barclays Cycle Hire" even though it's not
> called that any more.
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_United_Kingdom_London_Cycle_Hire#Santander_Cycles>
>
> He said: "I think this is a case where (PROPOSAL) we Londoners should
> be bold and swap them all over as a single edit."
>
> I concurred back then, and I still do. I invite opinions as to the
> best value to put in the network=* tag (see the discussion on the
> wiki, for some suggestions). I've pasted at the end of this email, the
> current counts of values used.
>
> I'd like to propose carrying out that edit, i.e. a simple edit to the
> network=* values listed below, for amenity=bicycle_rental. (Note that
> we'd avoid editing other network=* values such as "Brompton Dock",
> different scheme.)
>
> Best
> Dan
>

>     422     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire"
>       1     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme"
>       1     "network": "Barkleys Cycle Hire"
>       1     "network": "Santander"
>      20     "network": "Santander Cycle Hire"
>      42     "network": "Santander Cycles"
>       1     "network": "TfL"
>       1     "network": "TFL"
>       3     "network": "TfL Cycle Hire"
>       1     "network": "TFL Cycle Hire"

Re: London, network=Barclays Cycle Hire

Dan S
I've now made this edit. Bit scary doing these bulk edits - now
waiting to get shouted at ;)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/46394466

Cheers
Dan

> Thanks all for the comments. So I'll plan to make this change soon. I
> made an "automated edit" page to officially describe the change:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/mcld
>
> Best
> Dan

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Exactly 1 year ago, Harry pointed out that most of London's bike hire
>> scheme was still tagged as "Barclays Cycle Hire" even though it's not
>> called that any more.
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_United_Kingdom_London_Cycle_Hire#Santander_Cycles>
>>
>> He said: "I think this is a case where (PROPOSAL) we Londoners should
>> be bold and swap them all over as a single edit."
>>
>> I concurred back then, and I still do. I invite opinions as to the
>> best value to put in the network=* tag (see the discussion on the
>> wiki, for some suggestions). I've pasted at the end of this email, the
>> current counts of values used.
>>
>> I'd like to propose carrying out that edit, i.e. a simple edit to the
>> network=* values listed below, for amenity=bicycle_rental. (Note that
>> we'd avoid editing other network=* values such as "Brompton Dock",
>> different scheme.)
>>
>> Best
>> Dan
>>

>>     422     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire"
>>       1     "network": "Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme"
>>       1     "network": "Barkleys Cycle Hire"
>>       1     "network": "Santander"
>>      20     "network": "Santander Cycle Hire"
>>      42     "network": "Santander Cycles"
>>       1     "network": "TfL"
>>       1     "network": "TFL"
>>       3     "network": "TfL Cycle Hire"
>>       1     "network": "TFL Cycle Hire"

Re: [Talk-gb-london] London, network=Barclays Cycle Hire

Harry Wood
I forgot to say, I checked what everybody thought in the pub on Tuesday.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/harrywood/33071560616/ (We all seemed to agree network=tfl_cycle_hire)

Nice one Dan. Thanks for making it happen!

Harry