Looking for Existing Proposal/Feature - Firearm Restrictions

Looking for Existing Proposal/Feature - Firearm Restrictions

Jane Smith-2
Good Evening,

I am considering submitting a proposal for restrictions or allowances on carrying firearms in a particular location. I checked through the proposal pages and the active features pages and did not see anything related to this. The Proposal Process page suggested emailing this list to ensure nothing similar is already in use.

Examples of these restrictions in my area would be signs on buildings prohibiting carrying firearms concealed and/or openly. The signs themselves would be nodes, but the allowance or restriction would apply to ways.

Thank you.

Re: Looking for Existing Proposal/Feature - Firearm Restrictions

Jan S
Hi Jane,

Welcome! I'm currently visiting Texas, so I know that firearm restrictions are a fact that may be worthwhile to register in OSM. I suggest you write up a proposal following the guidelines in the wiki and taking other proposals as examples and put it up for comments here. If you feel that there's sufficient support for your proposal, you can pass it on to voting.

Good luck!

Best, Jan

Am 9. Mai 2019 21:44:02 GMT-05:00 schrieb Jane Smith <[hidden email]>:
Good Evening,

I am considering submitting a proposal for restrictions or allowances on carrying firearms in a particular location. I checked through the proposal pages and the active features pages and did not see anything related to this. The Proposal Process page suggested emailing this list to ensure nothing similar is already in use.

Examples of these restrictions in my area would be signs on buildings prohibiting carrying firearms concealed and/or openly. The signs themselves would be nodes, but the allowance or restriction would apply to ways.

Thank you.

Re: Looking for Existing Proposal/Feature - Firearm Restrictions

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 12:46, Jane Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good Evening,

I am considering submitting a proposal for restrictions or allowances on carrying firearms in a particular location. I checked through the proposal pages and the active features pages and did not see anything related to this. The Proposal Process page suggested emailing this list to ensure nothing similar is already in use.

Hi Jane

(Sorry, tried to send this yesterday but our internet died :-()

That's an interesting one!

As far as I was aware, there's no mention of firearms in OSM, but when I've just looked, I've found about 20 listings (all in the US - I'm guessing that's where you are?) for firearms=yes/no, so there's obviously at least some interest in the idea!. This will hopefully show the TagInfo https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/firearms#overview & Overpass map of them: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/ITh

Examples of these restrictions in my area would be signs on buildings prohibiting carrying firearms concealed and/or openly. The signs themselves would be nodes, but the allowance or restriction would apply to ways.

Because of the mass of conflicting firearm laws in the US between States, Counties, cities & building owners, I think that you'd have to tie this to individual buildings, or even shop by shop?

Could possibly be done as a node on the building itself, but also as an extra tag against the business eg

Good luck!

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Looking for Existing Proposal/Feature - Firearm Restrictions

Warin
On 11/05/19 08:53, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

[...]

It should not be a 'stand alone tag', but a tag that is applied to another physical feature, like a building, a shop, a stadium.
The sign is simply an indicator. E.G. OSM does not tag signs that state opening hours - the opening hours go on the feature.