Looking for volunteers for spell check of SotM 2019 booklet

Looking for volunteers for spell check of SotM 2019 booklet

Michael Reichert-3
Hi,

those who visited SotM 2018 in Milan might remember the printed booklet
all visitors get. This year, the booklet will be thicker because it
contains short descriptions of all sessions. With more content, more
work needs to be done. I am currently typesetting the booklet and
looking for help w.r.t. spell checking. It is an opportunity for those
who want to contribute to the organisation of the conference but cannot
commit themselves for a longer period.

The descriptions are provided by the speakers of the talks coming from
all over the world. Unfortunately – that's no surprise – the spelling
used in the the descriptions follows different rules.

I think that good printed material stands out by consistency, i.e. not
mixing too many fonts, too many colours etc. I am not a native English
speaker. That's why I would like to ask for support by people who
think of themselves being good in spelling and punctuation. If you could
go through the descriptions and all the other texts in the booklet and
unify them to one spelling and punctuation style, I would appreciate
that. Because OSM's tag are usually in British English, I prefer the
booklet to follow British English spelling.

I don't expect you to change the style of the descriptions. If someone
uses simple sentences, let them be simple. If someone prefers US
corporate speak, let it be. The style used by the author brings a
message what the visitors can expect from the talk.

If you want to help, either
- create pull requests on GitHub
  (https://github.com/osmfoundation/sotm2019-booklet) or
- download the raw LuaLaTeX files from GitHub, change what needs to be
  changed and email them to me if you don't know how to use Git.

You can find nightly builds of the current state of the booklet at
https://michreichert.de/sotm/booklet19/master.pdf

Best regards

Michael

PS If you haven't bought a ticket yet but plan to visit the conference,
please sign up soon. We might be booked out this year.

Re: Looking for volunteers for spell check of SotM 2019 booklet

Jez Nicholson
I made a first pass of 2 days + welcome/thanks and included some additional points from comments. Would appreciate it if you could either accept or reject pull requests rapidly so that they don't stagnate.

If anyone wants to join in then either do your own edits and pull request (whilst avoiding current changes already in pull requests....you see what I mean about stagnation now) or by adding issues, preferably one per problem.

Regards,
             Jez

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM Michael Reichert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jez, Michael and Martin,

Am 22/08/2019 um 09.52 schrieb Jez Nicholson:
> I made a first pass of 2 days + welcome/thanks and included some additional
> points from comments. Would appreciate it if you could either accept or
> reject pull requests rapidly so that they don't stagnate.
>
> If anyone wants to join in then either do your own edits and pull request
> (whilst avoiding current changes already in pull requests....you see what I
> mean about stagnation now) or by adding issues, preferably one per problem.

Thank you for your help.

I merged all the pull requests (GitHub seems to have difficulties to
recognise that if I use the command line) and rebuilt the PDFs on my server.

Best regards

Michael