M$ Flightsimulator

dieterdreist
Here’s an article about the players of the new flightsimulator improving buildings:

is there a way to import this data back to OpenStreetMap?

Cheers Martin

Re: M$ Flightsimulator

Hartmut Holzgraefe-3
On 2020-08-31 15:48, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Here’s an article about the players of the new flightsimulator improving
> buildings:
>
> https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/28/players-are-fixing-microsoft-flight-simulators-missing-monuments-with-google-maps/
>
> is there a way to import this data back to OpenStreetMap?

Google Maps isn't a data source that is compatible with OpenStreetMap
license wise.

Re: M$ Flightsimulator

General Discussion mailing list
If they're copying from proprietary maps like from GMaps, then not because it is not allowed to copy from them. And if the gamers begin to mix data sources, then the problem with the properly rights are getting bigger. Then we cannot find out which data has been retrieved from which source which is important for legal and QA reasons.

Cheers

Sören Reinecke alias Valor Naram

Here’s an article about the players of the new flightsimulator improving buildings:

is there a way to import this data back to OpenStreetMap?

Cheers Martin

Re: M$ Flightsimulator

> On 31. Aug 2020, at 16:06, Hartmut Holzgraefe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Google Maps isn't a data source that is compatible with OpenStreetMap
> license wise.

sure, if this wasn’t clear, of course I didn’t mean to import geometry that was ripped off google products, but likely there will also be lots of origin  geometries contributed by the players (at least in the past this was the case).

Cheers Martin

Re: M$ Flightsimulator

General Discussion mailing list

31 Aug 2020, 16:55 by [hidden email]:

sent from a phone
On 31. Aug 2020, at 16:06, Hartmut Holzgraefe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Google Maps isn't a data source that is compatible with OpenStreetMap
license wise.

sure, if this wasn’t clear, of course I didn’t mean to import geometry that was ripped off google products, but likely there will also be lots of origin geometries contributed by the players (at least in the past this was the case).
For start it would require data not tainted
by data from Google Maps, Google
aerial view and so on.

Given that this community is clearly not
caring about copyright I am dubious here.

It may help to make tool exporting OSM data
(if Microsoft is not updating map data
regularly) and encourage people to map
in OSM, for example adding building levels
with StreetComplete.

But it would require accepting OSM rules,
especially about copyright.

Re: M$ Flightsimulator

Tordanik
> https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/28/players-are-fixing-microsoft-flight-simulators-missing-monuments-with-google-maps/
>
> is there a way to import this data back to OpenStreetMap?

Given that they're using Google Maps, I doubt it.

But I do feel there is some potential for a free collection of
crowdsourced 3D models for use with OSM (beyond what's possible with
Simple 3D Buildings). This is the gap I hoped the 3D Model Repository
(https://3dmr.eu/) would fill, but so far it hasn't taken off.

If someone is interested in helping with that, there's a lot to do.
Creating models, helping with coding (gltf support would be nice, for
example), and there's even data we're permitted to import into 3DMR that
hasn't been uploaded simply due to lack of time for converting/cleaning
up the models.

Yours,
Tobias

Re: M$ Flightsimulator

>> On 31. Aug 2020, at 17:15, Mateusz Konieczny via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But it would require accepting OSM rules,
> especially about copyright.

maybe it could be an issue (e.g. reputational damage) if someone mixes OpenStreetMap Data with pirated data and distributes the mix under the odbl and with attribution to OpenStreetMap?

Is there actually credit to OpenStreetMap in the program? Couldn’t find it on the product page.

Cheers Martin