MS open maps

Jubal Harpster

Hi Everyone,

You may have noticed some Microsoft folks present on the mailings lists and Australian Slack channels in the past few months.  Microsoft have convened a small Open-Maps team that is starting to work on the OSM data in Australia. Our team is not importing data, using algorithms or robot edits to improve the map, we are using iD & JOSM to make improvements.

The OSM data in Australia is in phenomenal condition thanks to the existing contributors. The list of projects we’re working on is publicly visible on our github repo here: (https://github.com/Microsoft/Open-Maps).  We welcome feedback, please feel free to reach out to individual members of the team listed here (https://github.com/Microsoft/Open-Maps/wiki/Open-Maps-Team-at-Microsoft) to myself directly or to the whole team at [hidden email]

Thanks,

-Jubal Harpster

Microsoft

Re: MS open maps

Alex Sims
Hi,

It looks as though you are all based in Seattle, rather than Australia, is that right?

The big question for me is why are you armchair mapping Australia from the US.

How can you be sure that your edits are correct and what is Microsoft’s secret plan for Australia :) ?

Alex

On 22 Dec 2017, at 10:24 am, Jubal Harpster <[hidden email]> wrote:
You may have noticed some Microsoft folks present on the mailings lists and Australian Slack channels in the past few months.  Microsoft have convened a small Open-Maps team that is starting to work on the OSM data in Australia. Our team is not importing data, using algorithms or robot edits to improve the map, we are using iD & JOSM to make improvements.

Re: MS open maps

Andrew Davidson-3
Two things:

1. There's a Australian Slack channel? Oh, there's at least two. Great,
just what we need, more fragmentation.

2. microsoft.com emails go straight to spam. Thanks Google.

On 22/12/17 12:05, Alex Sims wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks as though you are all based in Seattle, rather than Australia, is that right?
>
> The big question for me is why are you armchair mapping Australia from the US.
>
> How can you be sure that your edits are correct and what is Microsoft’s secret plan for Australia :) ?
>
> Alex
>

> On 22 Dec 2017, at 10:24 am, Jubal Harpster <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> You may have noticed some Microsoft folks present on the mailings lists and Australian Slack channels in the past few months.  Microsoft have convened a small Open-Maps team that is starting to work on the OSM data in Australia. Our team is not importing data, using algorithms or robot edits to improve the map, we are using iD & JOSM to make improvements.

Re: MS open maps

Andrew Davidson-3
Did you look at the list of things that they are mapping
(https://github.com/Microsoft/Open-Maps/issues)?

They all look like things that would be normally arm-chaired anyway.
Does it really matter if it's done by someone 100km or 12,000km away?

The only comment I'd make is that the correct tag is source:name not
name:source. Oh, and a source:geometry is always a nice-to-have.

On 22/12/17 12:05, Alex Sims wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks as though you are all based in Seattle, rather than Australia, is that right?
>
> The big question for me is why are you armchair mapping Australia from the US.
>
> How can you be sure that your edits are correct and what is Microsoft’s secret plan for Australia :) ?

Re: MS open maps

Sam Wilson
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017, at 10:44 AM, Andrew Davidson wrote:

> 1. There's a Australian Slack channel? Oh, there's at least two. Great,
> just what we need, more fragmentation.

There is the Maptime Australia one — http://maptimeaustralia.slack.com
What is the other?

(And yes... don't you know that if you're not logging in to at least one new IM platform a month you're not Keeping Up™?!)

Re: MS open maps

Jubal Harpster

Hi Alex,

You’re correct, we are mostly based in Seattle with one person currently based in Belgrade. And fair question on the armchair mapping from the other side of the world.  We picked Australia for a number of reasons 1) Important geography for Microsoft, 2) active OSM community, 3) Open-Data friendly government policies, 4) common language, 5) warm and sunny beaches.

Without going to much in to our longer term plans, Microsoft has been investing in OSM for a while from imagery, to sponsoring events, and open sourcing data.  Given the level of interest and the growth of the project as a whole, now seems like a good time to accelerate the effort.

-Jubal

Re: MS open maps

Andy Mabbett
On 21 December 2017 at 23:54, Jubal Harpster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Microsoft have convened a small Open-Maps team that is starting to work
> on the OSM data in Australia.

Hi Juba,

That sounds great. Have you considered adding Wikidata IDs as part of your work?

For example, many of the water bodies you're working on will exist in
Wikidata; and you can create items there for those that do not.

Documentation starts here:

   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikidata

and I'm happy to advise if needed.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: MS open maps

Jubal Harpster
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the suggestion. Especially for the lakes, adding the wikidata ID for the feature would be useful. I'll talk to the team about modifying the workflow to add the wikidata ID provided we can correctly identify the right lake.

Regards,
-Jubal

   https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.openstreetmap.org%2Fwiki%2FWikidata&data=02%7C01%7Cjubalh%40microsoft.com%7C8b566e385bea4edcef6d08d5496dfdca%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C1%7C636495659117910334&sdata=wlCvS5g9xCz2hrwXQEfIVQ4xs7SE0fs392%2FScRxoX5w%3D&reserved=0

and I'm happy to advise if needed.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpigsonthewing.org.uk&data=02%7C01%7Cjubalh%40microsoft.com%7C8b566e385bea4edcef6d08d5496dfdca%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C1%7C636495659117910334&sdata=59fCVYxgC6ZiuZxHLUNP%2FS3Blh3%2F%2BYvsCIQmaiFbrFM%3D&reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.openstreetmap.org%2Flistinfo%2Ftalk-au&data=02%7C01%7Cjubalh%40microsoft.com%7C8b566e385bea4edcef6d08d5496dfdca%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C1%7C636495659117910334&sdata=cXc8Y45NU%2BtHmFE7m4nqT957L0mB1Tb2tfmZxX%2B8j%2Bk%3D&reserved=0

Re: MS open maps

David Bannon-2

Jubal, I think its great you should be putting in an effort like that. One little worry however, many roads in Australia travel across very lightly populated areas and are often quite unsuitable for certain vehicles and drivers who are inexperienced with the conditions. Such roads are often quite optimistically named, "Plenty Highway", "Gunbarrel Highway" and many, many more.

Please don't make any assumptions about such things, apart from putting misleading information in the map, lives could be put at risk.

Sticking to urban areas might be  good idea.

And I note you plan to work on waterways too. We have a lot of water ways in Australia, however, most of them don't have any water in them .....

David

On 22/12/17 10:54, Jubal Harpster wrote:

[...]

Nick Hocking

Hi Jubal

The missing OSM information in Australia that would be, by a large margin, the most usefull, would be address data (and building footprint, if available).

If we had address data then OSM maps would be usefull for the genberal public to use in car navigation etc.

Collecting address data manually is tedious and unsafe.  I believe that the address data is available for some states and if addedd to OSM, would make OSM the premier mapping source here.

Cheers
Nick

Re: MS open maps

Warin
On 28-Dec-17 12:30 PM, Nick Hocking wrote:

> Hi Jubal
>
> The missing OSM information in Australia that would be, by a large
> margin, the most usefull, would be address data (and building
> footprint, if available).
>
> If we had address data then OSM maps would be usefull for the genberal
> public to use in car navigation etc.
>
> Collecting address data manually is tedious and unsafe.  I believe
> that the address data is available for some states and if addedd to
> OSM, would make OSM the premier mapping source here.

The state of NSW address data is available through the LPI Base Map.
Most address benefit would be through the retail/commercial centres of
cities, towns and villages.

Entering this data is tedious as there is a lot of it and visual
motivation is lacking as it makes little visual difference to the map.

Re: MS open maps

Nick Hocking
Address data could also be used to verify street/road names and also add them where they are missing.

Re: MS open maps

Arthur Geeson

I have been busy doing street names and house numbers for some years:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-38.09198/144.35883

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.36135/-1.98845

I normally use Potlatch and the address consists of street number and name, post code and suburb name for each house.  I question if it is necessary to add the post code and suburb name as these are implicit in the dwelling location. It does get very repetitive.  If these are required for searching purposes perhaps they could be done using software on the data base?  I presume it is all stored and taking up database space?

Arthur

On 28/12/17 12:51, Nick Hocking wrote:
Address data could also be used to verify street/road names and also add them where they are missing.

Re: MS open maps

Warin
Repetition can be reduced using JOSM. Set it to 'expert mode'

Requires a plugin 'utiltools' or 'More Tools'.

Create your addresses along one street without street name, postcode, sub etc - just the house number.

Finished? Ok - create a node with the street name, post code etc. Now ^C it to put the information on the clip board.

Now select the nodes what you want to replicate the information .. then press the  'shift' key with the 'R' key.
Delete the node that only has the street name, post code, etc.

Repeat for each street.