Map Level of Detail for retail sales, brand and pricing

Map Level of Detail for retail sales, brand and pricing

Tac Tacelosky
I know there is enormous flexibility with tags, but also guidelines as to when they are appropriate.  My original plan was to edit / add nodes to OSM that are convenience stores, then use our database to flag the outdoor advertising, which is information that one client is interested in.

What tags are appropriate to include with OSM?  I'm interested in what products stores sell (e.g. cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, beer, other booze, lottery tickets).  Within those categories, we sometimes want to know brand and pricing information.

My thought is that this kind of stuff doesn't belong in OSM, but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Tac

PS Is newbies the right list for this kind of question?  I've re-applied to the -dev list, but  I don't think I'm on yet.

Re: Map Level of Detail for retail sales, brand and pricing

Richard Welty-2
On 5/16/13 11:29 AM, Tac Tacelosky wrote:
> What tags are appropriate to include with OSM?  I'm interested in what
> products stores sell (e.g. cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, beer, other
> booze, lottery tickets).  Within those categories, we sometimes want to
> know brand and pricing information.
>
> My thought is that this kind of stuff doesn't belong in OSM, but wanted to
> hear your thoughts.

i agree. it's a maintenance nightmare, even if you could get accurate
information into OSM, you would find it impossible to keep it up to
date. better to mashup with an external database.

richard

Re: Map Level of Detail for retail sales, brand and pricing

John F. Eldredge
My feeling is that information such as a detailed list of products available, and, even more so, pricing, should be stored in an external database. We already have provision for tagging the store number, and that would be the logical value to use to link the two databases. Price data, in particular, is likely to change on a frequent basis.

Tac Tacelosky <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know there is enormous flexibility with tags, but also guidelines as to when they are appropriate.  My original plan was to edit / add nodes to OSM that are convenience stores, then use our database to flag the outdoor advertising, which is information that one client is interested in.

What tags are appropriate to include with OSM?  I'm interested in what products stores sell (e.g. cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, beer, other booze, lottery tickets).  Within those categories, we sometimes want to know brand and pricing information.

My thought is that this kind of stuff doesn't belong in OSM, but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Tac

PS Is newbies the right list for this kind of question?  I've re-applied to the -dev list, but  I don't think I'm on yet.

newbies mailing list

John F. Eldredge -- [hidden email]

On 5/16/13 11:58 AM, Tac Tacelosky wrote:
> And under ODbL that's permissible now, right, to do mashups?  Will it
> require that my clients make their data (brands and pricing) available
> under the same T&C?

i believe the intent of the ODbL is that as long as you don 't commingle
the data in the DB the mash up overlay can remain proprietary.

richard

Re: Map Level of Detail for retail sales, brand and pricing

John Deters
It's right in the name: OSM is a "street map", not a price map, and not necessarily even a business map.

An external mashup linking into OSM data seems appropriate. Having the data internal to OSM would be wrong.

Even linking to external parties from within OSM is not a good architectural choice, although I understand some infrastructure links would be appropriate. Linking railroads, ferries, hoist bridges, tollways, or other transportation structures to their owning organization's web sites makes some sense when such links facilitate route planning.

Even parking lots *might* qualify for that kind of data, as they may be considered a part of a route.  But merchandise availability, pricing, advertising, billboards, etc. are all items that should be completely out of scope for a street map.

--
John
Awkwardly thumbed in on a phone.