Mapathon Results - Spartanburg SC

Mike N.
Hi,

    We had a mapathon coordinated by
https://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/76 to visually inspect all roads
and update them from GIS data as appropriate.   Much of the GIS data was
newer and there were many road name corrections (names or Road ->
Avenue, Drive -> Street, etc). In addition there were many residential
cases of single>dual carriageway or dual>single, blocked streets, etc.
Some of the GIS road data was out of date or incorrect - we may try to
feed it back to them if we can find a contact who has the time.

   In any case, more automated conflation techniques can now be applied
to that area for more focused updates since the roads conform to reality.

   TIGER:Reviewed for the area:
http://product.itoworld.com/map/162?lon=-81.95092&lat=34.96795&zoom=9

   Recent edits (last 90 days):
http://product.itoworld.com/map/129?lon=-81.98411&lat=34.86548&zoom=9

Re: Mapathon Results - Spartanburg SC

Ian Dees
This is great, Mike! Thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to take any photos? It'd be fun to have you write up something about how you found this data, set up the Tasking Manager project, and did the work at the Mapathon for the OSM US blog.

On 2/12/2019 11:01 AM, Ian Dees wrote:
> This is great, Mike! Thanks for sharing.
>
> Did you happen to take any photos? It'd be fun to have you write up
> something about how you found this data, set up the Tasking Manager
> project, and did the work at the Mapathon for the OSM US blog.

   Unfortunately no photos, (and no photos of our Meetup last night).  I
didn't document the actual process very well so I'm likely to omit an
important detail that might trip up anyone else trying to follow,
especially on creating the vector background layer.