Mapping Attenuation Ponds / Sustainable Drainage schemes

Mapping Attenuation Ponds / Sustainable Drainage schemes

Steve Brook
Many new UK housing estates are required to be built with Attenuation Ponds
/ Sustainable Drainage schemes as part of their development. These are to
control rain water runoff during storms and consist of a pond surrounded by
an embankment with a controlled release structure to slow down drainage of
the water to the river system.

The relevant features might be

.         Low or normal water level of pond

.         High water level or top of embankment

.         Land use/vegetation between low/high water marks is water
tolerant/marsh plants

.         Structures for water input and output - often brickwork and filter
screens round a pipe.

Has anyone any experience of mapping and tagging such a structure?

Are there any examples of where this has been done?

Steve

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Mapping Attenuation Ponds / Sustainable Drainage schemes

Clifford Snow
On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Steve Brook <srbrook at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Many new UK housing estates are required to be built with Attenuation
> Ponds / Sustainable Drainage schemes as part of their development. These
> are to control rain water runoff during storms and consist of a pond
> surrounded by an embankment with a controlled release structure to slow
> down drainage of the water to the river system.
>

> The relevant features might be
>
> ·         Low or normal water level of pond
>
> ·         High water level or top of embankment
>
> ·         Land use/vegetation between low/high water marks is water
> tolerant/marsh plants
>
> ·         Structures for water input and output – often brickwork and
> filter screens round a pipe.
>

> Has anyone any experience of mapping and tagging such a structure?
>
> Are there any examples of where this has been done?

These are common where I live. (We get lots of rain from October to June) I
map them as landuse=basin, basin=* based on how they are designed. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:basin for more info.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Mapping Attenuation Ponds / Sustainable Drainage schemes

Warin
On 08-May-17 03:10 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:

> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Steve Brook <srbrook at tiscali.co.uk
> <mailto:srbrook at tiscali.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Many new UK housing estates are required to be built with
>     Attenuation Ponds / Sustainable Drainage schemes as part of their
>     development. These are to control rain water runoff during storms
>     and consist of a pond surrounded by an embankment with a
>     controlled release structure to slow down drainage of the water to
>     the river system.
>
>     The relevant features might be
>
>     ·Low or normal water level of pond
>
>     ·High water level or top of embankment
>
>     ·Land use/vegetation between low/high water marks is water
>     tolerant/marsh plants
>
>     ·Structures for water input and output – often brickwork and
>     filter screens round a pipe.
>
>     Has anyone any experience of mapping and tagging such a structure?
>
>     Are there any examples of where this has been done?
>

> These are common where I live. (We get lots of rain from October to
> June) I map them as landuse=basin, basin=* based on how they are
> designed. See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:basin for more
> info.

I have done 2 as detention ponds ..

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/282846991

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Mapping Attenuation Ponds / Sustainable drainage schemes

EthnicFood IsGreat
> Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 11:10:02 -0600
> From: Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Cc: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Mapping Attenuation Ponds / Sustainable
> Drainage schemes
>
> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Steve Brook <srbrook at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Many new UK housing estates are required to be built with Attenuation
> > Ponds / Sustainable Drainage schemes as part of their development.
> > These are to control rain water runoff during storms and consist of a
> > pond surrounded by an embankment with a controlled release structure
> > to slow down drainage of the water to the river system.
> >

> > The relevant features might be
> >
> > ·         Low or normal water level of pond
> >
> > ·         High water level or top of embankment
> >
> > ·         Land use/vegetation between low/high water marks is water
> > tolerant/marsh plants
> >
> > ·         Structures for water input and output – often brickwork and
> > filter screens round a pipe.
> >

> > Has anyone any experience of mapping and tagging such a structure?
> >
> > Are there any examples of where this has been done?
> >

> These are common where I live. (We get lots of rain from October to June) I map them
> as landuse=basin, basin=* based on how they are designed. See
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:basin for more info.
>
> Clifford

In the US these are known as retention ponds or detention ponds.  (Not sure if there is a technical difference between the terms or not.)  I have mapped many of these.  I use landuse=basin with basin=retention.

Mark Bradley