Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Frédéric Bonifas
Dear all,

The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
image they have acquired over the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan.
The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor
(DigitalGlobe) and was acquired the 12th of October 2012.
The ICRC will use the image and the OSM data to work on a drinking
water project.

The ICRC is very interested in all the buildings, the streets and the landuse.
A task has been created, with details : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199

Each task is voluntarily small, in order to take the time to map out
the buildings.

I am available if you need any other information.

Best

Fred

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Karen A Payne

I'd like to add, we are providing the image service so if you have any problems with the WMS, you can either let Fred know, or ping me directly.

Thanks,

Karen

Karen Payne, PhD

Director Humanitarian Programs

Carl Vinson Institute of Government

Information Technology Outreach Services

University of Georgia

(w) +1 706.542.7766

(mob) +1 706.621.3684

(skype) karenpayne1

[hidden email]

signaturelogo

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Norman Rathmann
Hi Frédéric

the bing image is better for mapping, more clear.

But to map this houses are really hard. It seems they are all with walls
around and a unregular form.

my first houses looks like this:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.708184&lon=68.871467&zoom=18&layers=M

Norman

> Dear all,
>
> The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
> some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
> image they have acquired over the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan.
> The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor
> (DigitalGlobe) and was acquired the 12th of October 2012.
> The ICRC will use the image and the OSM data to work on a drinking
> water project.
>
> The ICRC is very interested in all the buildings, the streets and the landuse.
> A task has been created, with details : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>
> Each task is voluntarily small, in order to take the time to map out
> the buildings.
>
> I am available if you need any other information.
>
> Best
>
> Fred

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi,

The DigitalGlobe imagery is more recent (october 2012 vs 2010 for
Bing). What can be done for the buildings :
* Put an offset on the Bing imagery to fit the DigitalGlobe imagery
* Compare quickly Bing vs DigitalGlobe :
- If the buildings haven't changed, let's map with Bing
- If the buildings have changed a lot, or if the area is newly
urbanized, let's map with DigitalGlobe

Does it seem good to you ?

Fred

2013/2/25 Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Frédéric
>
> the bing image is better for mapping, more clear.
>
> But to map this houses are really hard. It seems they are all with walls
> around and a unregular form.
>
> my first houses looks like this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.708184&lon=68.871467&zoom=18&layers=M
>
> Norman
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
>> some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
>> image they have acquired over the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan.
>> The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor
>> (DigitalGlobe) and was acquired the 12th of October 2012.
>> The ICRC will use the image and the OSM data to work on a drinking
>> water project.
>>
>> The ICRC is very interested in all the buildings, the streets and the
>> landuse.
>> A task has been created, with details : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>>
>> Each task is voluntarily small, in order to take the time to map out
>> the buildings.
>>
>> I am available if you need any other information.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Fred

Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Norman Rathmann
HI Frédéric

i thought already like this.
i will give my best

Norman

> Hi,
>
> The DigitalGlobe imagery is more recent (october 2012 vs 2010 for
> Bing). What can be done for the buildings :
> * Put an offset on the Bing imagery to fit the DigitalGlobe imagery
> * Compare quickly Bing vs DigitalGlobe :
> - If the buildings haven't changed, let's map with Bing
> - If the buildings have changed a lot, or if the area is newly
> urbanized, let's map with DigitalGlobe
>
> Does it seem good to you ?
>
> Fred
>
> 2013/2/25 Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Frédéric
>>
>> the bing image is better for mapping, more clear.
>>
>> But to map this houses are really hard. It seems they are all with walls
>> around and a unregular form.
>>
>> my first houses looks like this:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.708184&lon=68.871467&zoom=18&layers=M
>>
>> Norman
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
>>> some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
>>> image they have acquired over the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan.
>>> The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor
>>> (DigitalGlobe) and was acquired the 12th of October 2012.
>>> The ICRC will use the image and the OSM data to work on a drinking
>>> water project.
>>>
>>> The ICRC is very interested in all the buildings, the streets and the
>>> landuse.
>>> A task has been created, with details : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>>>
>>> Each task is voluntarily small, in order to take the time to map out
>>> the buildings.
>>>
>>> I am available if you need any other information.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Fred

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Oliver Ritter
i tried to add the wms of this project to josm

i have remote control switched on, but i get an

HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

The next button "Task"  with remote control is working fine, it opens in josm.
Any idea what could be the problem?
I use josm 5697 on latest mac osx

greets, oliver

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Pierre GIRAUD-3
This doesn't seem to be related to the tasking manager.
I tried to add the WMS as a new service and I get errors within the tiles.

Pierre

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Oliver Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> i tried to add the wms of this project to josm
>
> http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>
> i have remote control switched on, but i get an
>
> HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
>

> The next button "Task"  with remote control is working fine, it opens in
> josm.
> Any idea what could be the problem?
> I use josm 5697 on latest mac osx
>
> greets, oliver

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Hi,

The tiles server does work for me.

I also get 500 error when clicking on the link in the tasking manager,
but if I copy and paste the entire link in JOSM WMS preferences ("Web
address"), it works. (Note that if you copy only the beginning of the
link in the "Web service address" and use the "Get calcs" (or "layers"
(?)) button, then you get a wrong server address starting with gistmaps1...
instead of gistmaps...)

Best,

Jean-Guilhem

--
gpg 0x5939EAE2

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Peter Wendorff
Same for me.

regards
Peter

Am 28.02.2013 10:43, schrieb Jean-Guilhem Cailton:

> Hi,
>
> The tiles server does work for me.
>
> I also get 500 error when clicking on the link in the tasking manager,
> but if I copy and paste the entire link in JOSM WMS preferences ("Web
> address"), it works. (Note that if you copy only the beginning of the
> link in the "Web service address" and use the "Get calcs" (or "layers"
> (?)) button, then you get a wrong server address starting with gistmaps1...
> instead of gistmaps...)
>
> Best,
>
> Jean-Guilhem
>

> Le 28/02/2013 10:03, Pierre GIRAUD a écrit :
>> This doesn't seem to be related to the tasking manager.
>> I tried to add the WMS as a new service and I get errors within the tiles.
>>
>> Pierre
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Oliver Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> i tried to add the wms of this project to josm
>>>
>>> http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>>>
>>> i have remote control switched on, but i get an
>>>
>>> HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
>>>

>>> The next button "Task"  with remote control is working fine, it opens in
>>> josm.
>>> Any idea what could be the problem?
>>> I use josm 5697 on latest mac osx
>>>
>>> greets, oliver

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Pierre GIRAUD-3
So what should the link for JOSM remote look like ?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The tiles server does work for me.
>
> I also get 500 error when clicking on the link in the tasking manager,
> but if I copy and paste the entire link in JOSM WMS preferences ("Web
> address"), it works. (Note that if you copy only the beginning of the
> link in the "Web service address" and use the "Get calcs" (or "layers"
> (?)) button, then you get a wrong server address starting with gistmaps1...
> instead of gistmaps...)
>
> Best,
>
> Jean-Guilhem
>

> Le 28/02/2013 10:03, Pierre GIRAUD a écrit :
>> This doesn't seem to be related to the tasking manager.
>> I tried to add the WMS as a new service and I get errors within the tiles.
>>
>> Pierre
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Oliver Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> i tried to add the wms of this project to josm
>>>
>>> http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>>>
>>> i have remote control switched on, but i get an
>>>
>>> HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
>>>

>>> The next button "Task"  with remote control is working fine, it opens in
>>> josm.
>>> Any idea what could be the problem?
>>> I use josm 5697 on latest mac osx
>>>
>>> greets, oliver
>>>

> --
> gpg 0x5939EAE2

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Norman Rathmann
It works with this for me:
wms:http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/HOT/af12oct12/ImageServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=0&STYLES=&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}

> So what should the link for JOSM remote look like ?
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The tiles server does work for me.
>>
>> I also get 500 error when clicking on the link in the tasking manager,
>> but if I copy and paste the entire link in JOSM WMS preferences ("Web
>> address"), it works. (Note that if you copy only the beginning of the
>> link in the "Web service address" and use the "Get calcs" (or "layers"
>> (?)) button, then you get a wrong server address starting with gistmaps1...
>> instead of gistmaps...)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jean-Guilhem
>>

>> Le 28/02/2013 10:03, Pierre GIRAUD a écrit :
>>> This doesn't seem to be related to the tasking manager.
>>> I tried to add the WMS as a new service and I get errors within the tiles.
>>>
>>> Pierre

>> --
>> gpg 0x5939EAE2

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Pierre GIRAUD-3
OK, it looks like what wrong is the type of service.
http://127.0.0.1:8111/imagery?title=Kunduz,%20Afghanistan%20-%20DigitalGlobe%20imagery&type=tms&url=http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/[...]

I'll try to provide a fix.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Pierre

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It works with this for me:
> wms:http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/HOT/af12oct12/ImageServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=0&STYLES=&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}
>

>> So what should the link for JOSM remote look like ?
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The tiles server does work for me.
>>>
>>> I also get 500 error when clicking on the link in the tasking manager,
>>> but if I copy and paste the entire link in JOSM WMS preferences ("Web
>>> address"), it works. (Note that if you copy only the beginning of the
>>> link in the "Web service address" and use the "Get calcs" (or "layers"
>>> (?)) button, then you get a wrong server address starting with
>>> gistmaps1...
>>> instead of gistmaps...)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Jean-Guilhem

>>> --
>>> gpg 0x5939EAE2

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Pierre GIRAUD-3
This should be fixed now.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Pierre GIRAUD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, it looks like what wrong is the type of service.
> http://127.0.0.1:8111/imagery?title=Kunduz,%20Afghanistan%20-%20DigitalGlobe%20imagery&type=tms&url=http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/[...]
>
> I'll try to provide a fix.
> Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
>
> Pierre
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It works with this for me:
>> wms:http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/HOT/af12oct12/ImageServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=0&STYLES=&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}
>>

>>> So what should the link for JOSM remote look like ?

>>> --

>   | Pierre GIRAUD

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Karen A Payne
My apologies to anyone who had trouble with the image service yesterday, we were migrating our DNS server.
This link should work:
wms:http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/HOT/af12oct12/ImageServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=0&STYLES=&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}
Let me know if you are still having trouble.
Karen
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Pierre GIRAUD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, it looks like what wrong is the type of service.
> http://127.0.0.1:8111/imagery?title=Kunduz,%20Afghanistan%20-%20Digita
> lGlobe%20imagery&type=tms&url=http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/[...]
>
> I'll try to provide a fix.
> Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
>
> Pierre
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It works with this for me:
>> wms:http://gistmaps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/HOT/af12oct12/ImageS
>> erver/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=G
>> etMap&LAYERS=0&STYLES=&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX=
>> {bbox}
>>

>>> So what should the link for JOSM remote look like ?
>>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton
>>> <[hidden email]>

>>> --

>   | Pierre GIRAUD

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Brad Neuhauser
Was looking at helping with this job, but I'm not a JOSM user, and this seems to rely on the DigitalGlobe imagery, either for tracing or for figuring the offset.  Should Potlatch 2 users sit this out?  Is there any way to create some tiles of the DG imagery?  Thanks, Brad

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The DigitalGlobe imagery is more recent (october 2012 vs 2010 for
Bing). What can be done for the buildings :
* Put an offset on the Bing imagery to fit the DigitalGlobe imagery
* Compare quickly Bing vs DigitalGlobe :
- If the buildings haven't changed, let's map with Bing
- If the buildings have changed a lot, or if the area is newly
urbanized, let's map with DigitalGlobe

Does it seem good to you ?

Fred

2013/2/25 Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Frédéric
>
> the bing image is better for mapping, more clear.
>
> But to map this houses are really hard. It seems they are all with walls
> around and a unregular form.
>
> my first houses looks like this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.708184&lon=68.871467&zoom=18&layers=M
>
> Norman
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
>> some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
>> image they have acquired over the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan.
>> The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor
>> (DigitalGlobe) and was acquired the 12th of October 2012.
>> The ICRC will use the image and the OSM data to work on a drinking
>> water project.
>>
>> The ICRC is very interested in all the buildings, the streets and the
>> landuse.
>> A task has been created, with details : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>>
>> Each task is voluntarily small, in order to take the time to map out
>> the buildings.
>>
>> I am available if you need any other information.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Fred

Frédéric Bonifas

Re: Mapping Kunduz, Afghanistan

Karen A Payne

Hi Brad,

If you want to use potlatch, try adding this to your background imagery

http://mapwarper.net/maps/tile/1052/$z/$x/$y.png

I’m not crazy about it – the imagery is a bit better in JSOM.  This is my first mapwarper tile so I’m open to suggestions.  Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Karen

Was looking at helping with this job, but I'm not a JOSM user, and this seems to rely on the DigitalGlobe imagery, either for tracing or for figuring the offset.  Should Potlatch 2 users sit this out?  Is there any way to create some tiles of the DG imagery?  Thanks, Brad

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

The DigitalGlobe imagery is more recent (october 2012 vs 2010 for
Bing). What can be done for the buildings :
* Put an offset on the Bing imagery to fit the DigitalGlobe imagery
* Compare quickly Bing vs DigitalGlobe :
- If the buildings haven't changed, let's map with Bing
- If the buildings have changed a lot, or if the area is newly
urbanized, let's map with DigitalGlobe

Does it seem good to you ?

Fred

2013/2/25 Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Frédéric
>
> the bing image is better for mapping, more clear.
>
> But to map this houses are really hard. It seems they are all with walls
> around and a unregular form.
>
> my first houses looks like this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.708184&lon=68.871467&zoom=18&layers=M
>
> Norman
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
>> some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
>> image they have acquired over the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan.
>> The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor
>> (DigitalGlobe) and was acquired the 12th of October 2012.
>> The ICRC will use the image and the OSM data to work on a drinking
>> water project.
>>
>> The ICRC is very interested in all the buildings, the streets and the
>> landuse.
>> A task has been created, with details : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>>
>> Each task is voluntarily small, in order to take the time to map out
>> the buildings.
>>
>> I am available if you need any other information.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Fred

Frédéric Bonifas

Was looking at helping with this job, but I'm not a JOSM user, and this seems to rely on the DigitalGlobe imagery, either for tracing or for figuring the offset.  Should Potlatch 2 users sit this out?  Is there any way to create some tiles of the DG imagery?  Thanks, Brad

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

The DigitalGlobe imagery is more recent (october 2012 vs 2010 for
Bing). What can be done for the buildings :
* Put an offset on the Bing imagery to fit the DigitalGlobe imagery
* Compare quickly Bing vs DigitalGlobe :
- If the buildings haven't changed, let's map with Bing
- If the buildings have changed a lot, or if the area is newly
urbanized, let's map with DigitalGlobe

Does it seem good to you ?

Fred

2013/2/25 Norman Rathmann <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Frédéric
>
> the bing image is better for mapping, more clear.
>
> But to map this houses are really hard. It seems they are all with walls
> around and a unregular form.
>
> my first houses looks like this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.708184&lon=68.871467&zoom=18&layers=M
>
> Norman
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
>> some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
>> image they have acquired over the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan.
>> The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor
>> (DigitalGlobe) and was acquired the 12th of October 2012.
>> The ICRC will use the image and the OSM data to work on a drinking
>> water project.
>>
>> The ICRC is very interested in all the buildings, the streets and the
>> landuse.
>> A task has been created, with details : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>>
>> Each task is voluntarily small, in order to take the time to map out
>> the buildings.
>>
>> I am available if you need any other information.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Fred

Frédéric Bonifas