Mapping Suicide Lanes (AKA Turn lanes and reversible lanes)

Mapping Suicide Lanes (AKA Turn lanes and reversible lanes)

Chris Hunter
This probably belongs on the tagging list, but are there any recommendations for tagging suicide lanes?  One of the streets near my house is about to be widened from 2 lanes to 3 with a center turn lane.

There's a page in the wiki, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Lane , but there hasn't been much activity since April.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Mapping Suicide Lanes (AKA Turn lanes and reversible lanes)

Steve Bennett-3
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Chris Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
This probably belongs on the tagging list, but are there any recommendations for tagging suicide lanes?  One of the streets near my house is about to be widened from 2 lanes to 3 with a center turn lane.

There's a page in the wiki, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Lane , but there hasn't been much activity since April.

Dunno. There's also the question of lanes that change direction depending on the time of day.

Steve

Re: Mapping Suicide Lanes (AKA Turn lanes and reversible lanes)

Paul Johnson-3
Chris Hunter wrote:

> This probably belongs on the tagging list, but are there any recommendations
> for tagging suicide lanes?  One of the streets near my house is about to be
> widened from 2 lanes to 3 with a center turn lane.

Note that bidirectional turn lanes (typically marked with broken orange
lines inside solid orange lines on either side), open medians (double
solid orange lines on both sides, vehicles are not permitted to use
this lane to turn or merge), and reversible lanes (direction of lane is
controlled by overhead signal or the real-world clock, marked by broken
double-orange lines on both sides) are all different from suicide lanes
(which passing is allowed in either direction, marked with solid orange
lines inside broken orange lines; the opposite of a bidirectional turn
lane marking).

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
double-orange lines on both sides) are all different from suicide lanes
(which passing is allowed in either direction, marked with solid orange
lines inside broken orange lines; the opposite of a bidirectional turn
lane marking).

Where's this? I don't recall the ones in France being marked orange.

Steve

Steve Bennett wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> double-orange lines on both sides) are all different from suicide lanes
>> (which passing is allowed in either direction, marked with solid orange
>> lines inside broken orange lines; the opposite of a bidirectional turn
>> lane marking).
>>

> Where's this? I don't recall the ones in France being marked orange.

MUTCD countries.  Other countries have similar concepts.  The point
being, suicide lanes imply both directions are allowed to drive in the
same lane at the same time.  They're not bidirectional turn lanes (where
you're to slow down before entering the lane and stop in the lane) and
they're not open medians (which prohibit all movement), and they're not
reversable (where the lane belongs to only one direction at a time).