Mapping Walikale - DRC

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi all,

At fist, a big thanks to Karen Payne for setting the WMS up, and to
all others who proposed to help.

The ICRC has acquired imagery over Walikale, DRC : http://osm.org/go/l1v~Pd1j
They are going to run a drinking water project there. They are
interested in streets, landuse and buildings.
Their teams on the field should then add POIs (infrastructures, hospitals...).

I created a new job on the HOT tasking manager : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/23

Thanks to all those who want to get involved, and please ask if you
have any problem or question.

Best
Fred

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Frédéric Bonifas
Wow it is the first time I create a job and the tiles look very big in
fact... Is it a problem ? Can I work several days on a same tile ? Or
would it be better to divide in smaller tiles, needing around half an
hour to be mapped ?

Le 27 janvier 2012 21:27, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> At fist, a big thanks to Karen Payne for setting the WMS up, and to
> all others who proposed to help.
>
> The ICRC has acquired imagery over Walikale, DRC : http://osm.org/go/l1v~Pd1j
> They are going to run a drinking water project there. They are
> interested in streets, landuse and buildings.
> Their teams on the field should then add POIs (infrastructures, hospitals...).
>
> I created a new job on the HOT tasking manager : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/23
>
> Thanks to all those who want to get involved, and please ask if you
> have any problem or question.
>
> Best
> Fred
>
> --
> Frédéric Bonifas
> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Pierre GIRAUD-3
Actually, I think you should leave the job as is. But ask people to
trace only streets.
Then create a new job with smaller tiles for the buildings.

Does it make sense?

Pierre

2012/1/27 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>:

> Wow it is the first time I create a job and the tiles look very big in
> fact... Is it a problem ? Can I work several days on a same tile ? Or
> would it be better to divide in smaller tiles, needing around half an
> hour to be mapped ?
>
> Le 27 janvier 2012 21:27, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At fist, a big thanks to Karen Payne for setting the WMS up, and to
>> all others who proposed to help.
>>
>> The ICRC has acquired imagery over Walikale, DRC : http://osm.org/go/l1v~Pd1j
>> They are going to run a drinking water project there. They are
>> interested in streets, landuse and buildings.
>> Their teams on the field should then add POIs (infrastructures, hospitals...).
>>
>> I created a new job on the HOT tasking manager : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/23
>>
>> Thanks to all those who want to get involved, and please ask if you
>> have any problem or question.
>>
>> Best
>> Fred
>>
>> --
>> Frédéric Bonifas
>> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas
>

> --
> Frédéric Bonifas
> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Frédéric Bonifas
Yes it sounds fine to me.
I modify the job.

Le 27 janvier 2012 21:41, Pierre GIRAUD <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Actually, I think you should leave the job as is. But ask people to
> trace only streets.
> Then create a new job with smaller tiles for the buildings.
>
> Does it make sense?
>
> Pierre
>
> 2012/1/27 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>:
>> Wow it is the first time I create a job and the tiles look very big in
>> fact... Is it a problem ? Can I work several days on a same tile ? Or
>> would it be better to divide in smaller tiles, needing around half an
>> hour to be mapped ?
>>
>> Le 27 janvier 2012 21:27, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> At fist, a big thanks to Karen Payne for setting the WMS up, and to
>>> all others who proposed to help.
>>>
>>> The ICRC has acquired imagery over Walikale, DRC : http://osm.org/go/l1v~Pd1j
>>> They are going to run a drinking water project there. They are
>>> interested in streets, landuse and buildings.
>>> Their teams on the field should then add POIs (infrastructures, hospitals...).
>>>
>>> I created a new job on the HOT tasking manager : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/23
>>>
>>> Thanks to all those who want to get involved, and please ask if you
>>> have any problem or question.
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> --
>>> Frédéric Bonifas
>>> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas
>>

>> --
>> Frédéric Bonifas
>> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

>   | Pierre GIRAUD
>   | http://pierrelebricoleur.blogspot.com
>   | http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierregiraud

Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

andrzej zaborowski
Hi,

2012/1/27 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>:
> Yes it sounds fine to me.
> I modify the job.

The landuse+building tiles are pretty small.

I wanted to ask something about general practice:  in places that are
99% forest, do people map forest landuses?  How about in this case,
are forest polygons useful?

Cheers

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi,

Le 28 janvier 2012 03:35, andrzej zaborowski <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> The landuse+building tiles are pretty small.

I you try mapping all the buildings of the tile, I find they are big enough.

> I wanted to ask something about general practice:  in places that are
> 99% forest, do people map forest landuses?  How about in this case,
> are forest polygons useful?

I am not sure to understand why forest polygons wouldn't be useful ?
If the forest is here, let's map it !

Best
Fred

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Frédéric Bonifas
All the roads are already nearly mapped, great ! http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/23

A new job is set up for buildings and landuse : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/24

For those wanting to map random without the task manager, no problem :
* Add the following WMS URL in JOSM:
http://maps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/GIST/DRC/ImageServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/png&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=0&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}
* Add the source tag "source=ICRC, DigitalGlobe 110711" to the objects
you have created.

Best

Fred

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Rafael Avila Coya
En 28/01/12 15:16, Frédéric Bonifas escribiu:
> All the roads are already nearly mapped, great ! http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/23

In my opinion, ways are far from finished. I've been mapping a tile in
SW Wakikale, and I've seen what I think are inconsistencies in the tags
to many ways. For example, ways that give service to 3-4 dwellings
shouldn't be tagged as unclassified. I would tag them as service or
residential (better service IMHO). Then I see another ways inside the
town as track. If a way is just for people, then it should be tagged as
footway, I think. So all of these needs a lot of review.

Cheers,

Rafael.

> A new job is set up for buildings and landuse : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/24
>
> For those wanting to map random without the task manager, no problem :
> * Add the following WMS URL in JOSM:
> http://maps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/GIST/DRC/ImageServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/png&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=0&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}
> * Add the source tag "source=ICRC, DigitalGlobe 110711" to the objects
> you have created.
>
> Best
>
> Fred

--------------------------------

.xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, aínda podendoo facer,  non os abro.

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi Rafael,

2012/1/30 Rafael Avila Coya <[hidden email]>:
> In my opinion, ways are far from finished. I've been mapping a tile in
> SW Wakikale, and I've seen what I think are inconsistencies in the tags
> to many ways. For example, ways that give service to 3-4 dwellings
> shouldn't be tagged as unclassified. I would tag them as service or
> residential (better service IMHO).

I think that is exactly why this is great to have several mappers
working on the same area : there is no mapping convention for this
country, we are mapping remotely, so mistakes are of course done. But
other people reviews can help to improve it.
If road classification do not seem corrdct to you, please do not
hesitate to change this

> Then I see another ways inside the
> town as track. If a way is just for people, then it should be tagged as
> footway, I think. So all of these needs a lot of review.

The same, it is really hard to see with this imagery if a road is
passable for pedestrians, motorbikes or four-wheel vehicles.
If a road is passable for motorbikes, I think "track" is better than
"footway", but no way for now to know if this is the truth on the
ground.

Best

Frédéric

Re: Mapping Walikale - DRC

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi,

Mapping of Walikale with the satellite imagery is now completed, at
least for what was requested. A message from Yann Rebois of the ICRC :
"It is just excellent. I would like to thank you for all the good work
you did with the OSM Community an amazing work please sahre with them
our entire satisfaction."

Their teams on-the-ground should now check what has been traced, and
add information. Of course, I get back to you if I learn anything
about this.

Congratulations to all those involved.

Best