Mapping a cycle path across lock gates

john whelan-2
The local city has recommended cycle paths one of which crosses a canal via the tops of the lock gates.

So steps up to the top of the lock gate, and a max width of .5 meters and the path varies according to which pair of the three pairs of lock gates happen to be closed.  The maximum width is important as it means tricycles are unable to use this route.

Any suggestions on how it should be mapped?

Thanks John

Re: Mapping a cycle path across lock gates

Philip Barnes
On Sat, 2015-04-11 at 08:12 -0400, john whelan wrote:

> The local city has recommended cycle paths one of which crosses a
> canal via the tops of the lock gates.
>

> So steps up to the top of the lock gate, and a max width of .5 meters
> and the path varies according to which pair of the three pairs of lock
> gates happen to be closed.  The maximum width is important as it means
> tricycles are unable to use this route.
>

> Any suggestions on how it should be mapped?

That is madness, ask for a copy of the risk assessment.

I have never come across a cyclepath doing this, but do know of a public
footpath that crosses a lock gate. There is a second side barrier on
that gate for safety reasons, but it a bit scary getting a dog over.

I would map the section over the gates as a footway with
bicycle=dismount. That way routers will be deterred from using it and
find a more suitable route.

Phil (trigpoint)

Re: Mapping a cycle path across lock gates

John F. Eldredge
That does sound unsafe to ride over.  I assume it has safety railings, but they are likely to be of a height designed for a pedestrian, not a cyclist. A cyclist who sideswiped one of the railings might well fall over the railing into the water.

On April 11, 2015 7:30:52 AM CDT, Philip Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-04-11 at 08:12 -0400, john whelan wrote:
> > The local city has recommended cycle paths one of which crosses a
> > canal via the tops of the lock gates.
> >

> > So steps up to the top of the lock gate, and a max width of .5
> meters
> > and the path varies according to which pair of the three pairs of
> lock
> > gates happen to be closed.  The maximum width is important as it
> means
> > tricycles are unable to use this route.
> >

> > Any suggestions on how it should be mapped?
> >
> That is madness, ask for a copy of the risk assessment.
>
> I have never come across a cyclepath doing this, but do know of a
> public
> footpath that crosses a lock gate. There is a second side barrier on
> that gate for safety reasons, but it a bit scary getting a dog over.
>
> I would map the section over the gates as a footway with
> bicycle=dismount. That way routers will be deterred from using it and
> find a more suitable route.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

John F. Eldredge -- [hidden email]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re: Mapping a cycle path across lock gates

Richard Fairhurst
Philip Barnes wrote:
> That is madness, ask for a copy of the risk assessment.

Most canals are not as small as the UK's! Lock-gates elsewhere can be and are much wider, especially where the gates are hydraulically operated so a walkway can be installed on top without worrying about balance beams.

Richard