Mapping at Moira, NW Leicestershire.

Graham Bowers
Is anybody local mapping here that I could tag along with to learn the ropes please?
My activity thus far has been editing the cycling infrastructure to allow routing websites to route correctly.
There is construction activity in the area that does need mapping and does have cycling infrastructure impact but it's more than I's wish to tackle without knowing quite a bit more than I do now.
Thanks
Graham

Re: Mapping at Moira, NW Leicestershire.

David Woolley

On 27/07/2019 08:15, Graham Bowers wrote:
> Is anybody local mapping here that I could tag along with to learn the
> ropes please?

Everyone has different interests.  Just because they are local doesn't
mean that someone is going to be interested in cycle infrastructure.

> My activity thus far has been editing the cycling infrastructure to
> allow routing websites to route correctly.
> There is construction activity in the area that does need mapping and
> does have cycling infrastructure impact but it's more than I's wish to
> tackle without knowing quite a bit more than I do now.

The main things to remember is not to make subjective judgements are
about suitability - record the details that an ideal router would use to
make its own judgements - and don't use guidebooks, etc., as as source
of information - named routes may have database rights associated with them.

Don't expect to be able to get routers to take the decisions you would
make.  If you go too far that way, you will end up tagging for the
renderer (routers are considered renderers), which is not allowed.

Re: Mapping at Moira, NW Leicestershire.

Gareth L
Hi Graham,

There’s a couple local Osm mapping groups which also do meet ups. They are http://www.mappa-mercia.org/ (slightly West Midlands focussed but you’re not far!) and also a meet-up in derby/Nottingham that is more East Midlands focussed. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nottingham/Pub_Meetup

Anything you’re unsure of how to do you can  leave map notes on the map with details and/or contribute data through street level imagery services like mapillary.

Also,  I use https://tyrasd.github.io/latest-changes/#13/52.7481/-1.5156 to see who has been contributing near me, and what. It can give me ideas on what to do next.

Welcome
Gareth

On 27 Jul 2019, at 08:16, Graham Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is anybody local mapping here that I could tag along with to learn the ropes please?
My activity thus far has been editing the cycling infrastructure to allow routing websites to route correctly.
There is construction activity in the area that does need mapping and does have cycling infrastructure impact but it's more than I's wish to tackle without knowing quite a bit more than I do now.
Thanks
Graham

Re: Mapping at Moira, NW Leicestershire.

Gregory Marler
Not being completely shameless, it seems appropriate to plug the "Mapper Diaries" I've been doing...

Many of the videos are me talking as if someone has tagged along to my mapping. I'm slowly getting used to doing that in public, but you also get to see me editing when back home. Possibly helpful for people that don't find a local mapping community.

Both the West Midlands group and Nottingham pub meets move around. They may be open to doing a meetup closer if you get in touch with them.

All the best,
Gregory.

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 at 12:12, Gareth L <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No More Grapes
07939 689 691