Mapping bushwalks

Gordon Smith-13
This example of the use of OSM may be of interest to a few people.
I've been mapping bushwalks and fire trails in the gorge country
around where I live:
  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

It comes alive, though, if you add the Cycling Map layer:
  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=00B0FFF

Gordon
--
Gordon Smith
http://las.new-england.net.au/

Re: Mapping bushwalks

mtrax
Personally I think its these sort of mapping which are going to the most useful in OSM, ie
as street mapping via Tomtom and Garmin is cheap as.. but tracks like this are what makes
this a useful project.
ie unusual POI's or tracks not captured by commercial maps.

On 23/10/2008 6:06 PM, Gordon Smith wrote:

> This example of the use of OSM may be of interest to a few people.
> I've been mapping bushwalks and fire trails in the gorge country
> around where I live:
>   http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
>
> It comes alive, though, if you add the Cycling Map layer:
>   http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=00B0FFF
>

> Gordon

Re: Mapping bushwalks

Sam Couter-2
Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Personally I think its these sort of mapping which are going to the most useful in OSM, ie
> as street mapping via Tomtom and Garmin is cheap as..

Tomtom and Garmin are relatively cheap in some ways, but they're not
Free. I can't use either of them the way I want and there's essentially
no possibility of that ever changing. The value of OSM for me is the O.
Even if OSM never quite matches the big players for plain old street
mapping and routing, which is their primary market and my primary use
case, I'll still prefer OSM.

> but tracks like this are what makes this a useful project.
> ie unusual POI's or tracks not captured by commercial maps.

And I can see that people who aren't computer nerds like me and can't
just write their own software see the greatest value in the obscure, the
niche, the data that for a commercial venture is too difficult and too
low return to chase down.

What I like best is that OSM can be both of these things without
compromising on either.
--
Sam Couter         |  mailto:[hidden email]
OpenPGP fingerprint:  A46B 9BB5 3148 7BEA 1F05  5BD5 8530 03AE DE89 C75C

Re: Mapping bushwalks

Peter Ross-5
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Gordon Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This example of the use of OSM may be of interest to a few people.
> I've been mapping bushwalks and fire trails in the gorge country
> around where I live:
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
>
> It comes alive, though, if you add the Cycling Map layer:
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=00B0FFF

I agree, it is where I've concentrated my mapping.  Every now and
again I add to Melbourne using the yahoo imagery, but for me the
greatest use has been to map mountain bike trails and bush walks.
What I love is that I can add them to OSM and then upload the garmin
map version of the things that I've added back to the gps.  So next
time I'm back out that way there it all is ready to use on the gps,
and I hope that it will help others as well when they head out back
country.

For me it certainly is my favourite part of osm.

Now you've inspired me to send some links to the bits I've contributed
to the map over the last year.

Lysterfield state mtb course in Melbourne
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.965788841&lon=145.304017067&zoom=14

Werribee gorge walks west of Melbourne
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.6643&lon=144.33877&zoom=15&layers=00B0FTF

The ride/walk up kozzie (hit 75kmph on the way back down on the tarmac, woohoo)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.4554&lon=148.3591&zoom=13&layers=00B0FTF

Glenrock state forest mtb trails in Newcastle
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-32.96075&lon=151.72731&zoom=15&layers=00B0FTF

Anakie gorge west of Melbourne (the gorge itself was already done, I
just turned it into a loop)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.8617&lon=144.25308&zoom=15&layers=00B0FTF

Wombat mtb track north of Melbourne
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.4146&lon=144.4972&zoom=14&layers=00B0FTF