Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi,

For a long time I have wanted to know where people from a given
country also contribute in OpenStreetMap.
I have analyzed all the nodes in the OSM Planet from the 15th June
2013 and I came up with this map :
http://fredericbonifas.github.io/OSM-cooperation/

One identified bias is that each contributor is assigned the country
where he has contributed the most as his main country. But this may be
false.

Best

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Paweł Paprota
Pretty cool. Looks like people are mostly contributing to neighboring
countries and also to popular holiday destinations :-)

I can confirm this as I live on Polish/Czech border and often map in
Czech Republic.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013, at 11:47, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a long time I have wanted to know where people from a given
> country also contribute in OpenStreetMap.
> I have analyzed all the nodes in the OSM Planet from the 15th June
> 2013 and I came up with this map :
> http://fredericbonifas.github.io/OSM-cooperation/
>
> One identified bias is that each contributor is assigned the country
> where he has contributed the most as his main country. But this may be
> false.
>
> Best
>
> --
> Frédéric Bonifas
> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Peter Wendorff
That's pretty cool.
Probably two small ideas to keep in mind:
1) you count objects in Y from mappers coming from X and use absolute
numbers for the color indication. You should IMHO take the number of
mappers into account, too. e.g. Germany with a big number of mappers
produces a rather "dark" map, whereas e.g. the countries in middle
america all produce a very light map.
2) could you change the website code in a way that the map fits into the
screen? it get's ugly when the map is bigger than your screen, and
that's the case here even at my usual notebook (not to mention phones
etc.). Sizes relative to the viewport might help.

regards
Peter

  Am 25.07.2013 11:47, schrieb Frédéric Bonifas:

> Hi,
>
> For a long time I have wanted to know where people from a given
> country also contribute in OpenStreetMap.
> I have analyzed all the nodes in the OSM Planet from the 15th June
> 2013 and I came up with this map :
> http://fredericbonifas.github.io/OSM-cooperation/
>
> One identified bias is that each contributor is assigned the country
> where he has contributed the most as his main country. But this may be
> false.
>
> Best

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Frédéric Bonifas
Thank you for your comments,

2013/7/26 Peter Wendorff <[hidden email]>:
> 1) you count objects in Y from mappers coming from X and use absolute
> numbers for the color indication. You should IMHO take the number of
> mappers into account, too. e.g. Germany with a big number of mappers
> produces a rather "dark" map, whereas e.g. the countries in middle
> america all produce a very light map.

I agree completely. The current map is a "first shot".
There could be several ponderations :
* according to the number of mappers in the selected country
* according to the total number of nodes in the target countries
* probably others too

I will think about that and try to come back with another visualization.

> 2) could you change the website code in a way that the map fits into the
> screen? it get's ugly when the map is bigger than your screen, and
> that's the case here even at my usual notebook (not to mention phones
> etc.). Sizes relative to the viewport might help.

It should be fixed now.

Best

Fred

> regards
> Peter
>
>   Am 25.07.2013 11:47, schrieb Frédéric Bonifas:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For a long time I have wanted to know where people from a given
>> country also contribute in OpenStreetMap.
>> I have analyzed all the nodes in the OSM Planet from the 15th June
>> 2013 and I came up with this map :
>> http://fredericbonifas.github.io/OSM-cooperation/
>>
>> One identified bias is that each contributor is assigned the country
>> where he has contributed the most as his main country. But this may be
>> false.
>>
>> Best

Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Martin Raifer
> There could be several ponderations :
> * [...]

Why not:
* according to the total number of nodes "produced" by the mappers of the
selected country

The total number of nodes would be something like the GDP in economic
terms. And the above mentioned ratio would correspond to the export-share.

Regards

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

pierzen
The net nodes created (created - deleted) would be a good indicator.

Pierre

De : Martin Raifer <[hidden email]>
À : [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Vendredi 26 juillet 2013 8h01
Objet : Re: [OSM-talk] Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

> There could be several ponderations :
> * [...]

Why not:
* according to the total number of nodes "produced" by the mappers of the
selected country

The total number of nodes would be something like the GDP in economic
terms. And the above mentioned ratio would correspond to the export-share.

Regards

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Janko Mihelić
2013/7/25 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>

One identified bias is that each contributor is assigned the country
where he has contributed the most as his main country. But this may be
false.

This is clearly visible with Germany. Germans have nothing else to map in their country, so they map other countries more than theirs. That's why it seems like lots of countries like to help Germany in it's mapping.

Janko

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

Hans Schmidt
Am 26.07.2013 16:15, schrieb Janko Mihelić:
> This is clearly visible with Germany. Germans have nothing else to map
> in their country, so they map other countries more than theirs. That's
> why it seems like lots of countries like to help Germany in it's mapping.
>
> Janko

There is much to map in Germany, but you have to get outside to the real
world and look for house numbers or shops :D

Re: Mapping cooperation between countries in OSM

dieterdreist

2013/7/26 Hans Schmidt <[hidden email]>
There is much to map in Germany, but you have to get outside to the real
world

+1
cheers,