Mapping high tension power lines in Nepal

Mapping high tension power lines in Nepal

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Hi,

As you may know, helicopters play a critical role in bringing help to
Nepalese people affected by April 25 7.8 earthquake, and May 12 7.4
aftershock, with roads blocked or made dangerous by landslides and
unstable terrain.

A USMC helicopter that was taking part in this effort is missing since
May 12. Other helicopters involved in the search and rescue mission
report that: "A primary concern for ongoing search and rescue efforts is
unmarked high tension power lines, which have been reported and bisect
many of the valleys in the search area".

Some high tension power lines have already been mapped
(http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9lx , passed along to those conducting the
searches). Starting from electrical dams makes it easier to spot them.

If mappers experienced at mapping power lines could give a hand, this
would be great. (Or others willing to learn, like me :) ).

Bing is available for large parts of Nepal. A focus for current search
and rescue effort is around Ghorthali (27.7517 N  86.0342 E) from where
a Nepalese local reported seeing a helicopter crash. But of course high
tension power lines would also be nice to have for Sindhupalchowk,
Dolakha and other affected districts (see
http://kathmandulivinglabs.github.io/quake-maps/).

(Please download and upload OSM data often, in case other mappers work
on the same theme).

Thanks,

Jean-Guilhem

Re: Mapping high tension power lines in Nepal

Steve Bower
The Nepal Electric Authority would likely already have such a map, or relevant data:

Page 106 of their annual plan has a transmission line map:

I did not find anything better in a quick search of their web site, but they could probably provide something.

Steve

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brad Neuhauser
Fyi, user GautamPratik already started entering some hydro sites using the tag hydropower_project:name. Here's a search for that: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9lJ

And one for power=generator generally in Nepal: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9lN

Cheers, Brad

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Steve Bower <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tom Taylor-2
The trick is to spot the transmission towers. Their shadows help in
this, when present. It's rare that you would see the actual lines, but
the towers themselves are spaced more or less regularly, meaning that if
you've seen a couple in a line you have a rough idea where to search for
the next one.

Tom Taylor
TomT5454

On 14/05/2015 7:26 AM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you may know, helicopters play a critical role in bringing help to
> Nepalese people affected by April 25 7.8 earthquake, and May 12 7.4
> aftershock, with roads blocked or made dangerous by landslides and
> unstable terrain.
>
> A USMC helicopter that was taking part in this effort is missing since
> May 12. Other helicopters involved in the search and rescue mission
> report that: "A primary concern for ongoing search and rescue efforts is
> unmarked high tension power lines, which have been reported and bisect
> many of the valleys in the search area".
>
> Some high tension power lines have already been mapped
> (http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9lx , passed along to those conducting the
> searches). Starting from electrical dams makes it easier to spot them.
>
> If mappers experienced at mapping power lines could give a hand, this
> would be great. (Or others willing to learn, like me :) ).
>
> Bing is available for large parts of Nepal. A focus for current search
> and rescue effort is around Ghorthali (27.7517 N  86.0342 E) from where
> a Nepalese local reported seeing a helicopter crash. But of course high
> tension power lines would also be nice to have for Sindhupalchowk,
> Dolakha and other affected districts (see
> http://kathmandulivinglabs.github.io/quake-maps/).
>
> (Please download and upload OSM data often, in case other mappers work
> on the same theme).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean-Guilhem

Re: [OSM-talk] Mapping high tension power lines in Nepal

François Lacombe-2

The power generation model was refined in 2013 and include some distinction between a power plant and a power generator.
It would be convenient and sustainable to take care of this for this concern.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_generation_refinement

Power generator only regard any kind of device which convert energy from one sort to another. It should be mapped with power=generator
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dgenerator

Power plant is the whole site and can be mapped with an area or a relation if the power plant isn't enclosed with a fence (which is often the case for hydro power plant).
power=plant is the tag currently approved.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dplant

The hydropower_project tag may be redundant with power=plant.
Currently, it may be useful to map power=plant sites features only. Generators are supplementary information only used by specialized mappers.

It would be great to don't use any other custom power=* value to allow the largest amount of mapper to work with these datas.

I'll add some in my spare time.

All the best

François Lacombe

fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com
www.infos-reseaux.com
@InfosReseaux

[...]

pierzen
Hi François

We need various expertises to answer quickly and produce data of quality It would be great if you could extract the Nepal powers in the area of the response around Kathmandu and revise the tagging schema.
And  say Bonjour to the OSM Lyon contributors meeting at the charming Chez Thibault café.

regard

Pierre

De : François Lacombe <[hidden email]>
À : Brad Neuhauser <[hidden email]>
Cc : "HOT@OSM (Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team)" <[hidden email]>; OSM <[hidden email]>; Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]>; OpenStreetMap in India <[hidden email]>; OpenStreetMap Community in Nepal <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Vendredi 15 mai 2015 6h26
Objet : Re: [HOT] [OSM-talk] Mapping high tension power lines in Nepal

Hi,

[...]

Hi Pierre,

I will take a look at it this evening.

Is there a live discussion taking place on IRC or wherever else than HOT ML to get other contributors in touch ?
I'm not so at ease with HOT organisation.

It would be great to do this collectively and share the experience around tagging schema.

Cheers from Lyon ;)

François

Le 15 mai 2015 17:08, "Pierre Béland" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi François

We need various expertises to answer quickly and produce data of quality It would be great if you could extract the Nepal powers in the area of the response around Kathmandu and revise the tagging schema.
And  say Bonjour to the OSM Lyon contributors meeting at the charming Chez Thibault café.

regard

Pierre

Re: [OSM-talk] Mapping high tension power lines in Nepal

pierzen
Hi François,

See #hot irc where discussions are going on for Nepal.

Cheers

Pierre

De : François Lacombe <[hidden email]>
À : Pierre Béland <[hidden email]>
Cc : OpenStreetMap Community in Nepal <[hidden email]>; OpenStreetMap in India <[hidden email]>; Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]>; OSM <[hidden email]>; "HOT@OSM (Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team)" <[hidden email]>; Brad Neuhauser <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Vendredi 15 mai 2015 11h39

[...]

lsces
ian atkinson [hidden email]

Is over there now on a 4 week secondment, but we did not have time to
get him up to speed before he went ... He get told last week end and
flew out on the 12th. But being a mapper he may be a useful pair of eyes
on the ground ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to various infos

pierzen
This OSM response for Nepal is quite challenging. And even more difficult for our friends at the Kathmandu Living Labs (KLL) who have to suffer the emotional impact of the second earthquake this week. They also have to move from the famous Yellow house to a school. This should assure them a more secure area to work.
Cheers to them that maintain the Nepal earthquake Ushahidi map, provide various mapping services to the humanitarian in the field and assure the interface with the Nepal governement and the various UN Coordination structures for this response (ie The clusters to coordinate sanitation, water, logistic, food distribution, health, etc).

As usual, the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap community assures the interface between the OSM community, the UN agencies and the international organizations. We support the OSM remote response from around the word and we co-coordinate with KLL. We both interface with the DHNetwork digital organization and various other groups via Skype. We have a great support from the International Charter (imagery providers), UNOSAT, DigitalGlobe, Airbus, the HIU unit of the US State dept., Google, and our dedicated OSM/HOT experienced contributors and developpers.

Plus the various groups that provide the 30 minutes updates for the various OSM exports.
Still more challenges to come with the landslides risks and the monsoon coming soon.

At the same time, it is important to assure a good coordination of the OSM community from around the world. The statistics below show great numbers and some challenges with all the new contributors that participate to the response. Note that these are preliminary statistics that can be revised later. With less then 3 weeks of response, we already have edited more the 13 million of objects.

The pbf export file increased from 27 megs april 24 to 84 megs yesterday. Three times bigger. This is quite awesome. It also shows how we should adapt to such a rapid growth of the OSM database for Nepal and maintain quality to adequately respond to the operational needs of the humanitarian organizations in the field.

Preliminary statistics, Nepal Response Apr-25 – May 15, including worldwide mechanical edits         NB
Contributors 6,456
Days 11,877
Changeset Sessions 154,048
Objects edited (ie. Points, lines, polygons) 13,089,247

Such a response has brought various discussions on the HOT list on how to both respond quickly and assure data quality. OSM crowdsourcing can be compared to an image that we load throug internet. First, we have a quite inprecise image, coming clearer gradually.  The Mapathons a bit of this role. If unorganized, they can bring a lot of data quality problems. The worlwide OSM community  can play a strategic role in such a response by contributing to structure the way the new contributors learn OSM and edit the map. For the first day of contribution, what is important is that people better understand what are the various steps and provide quality data. If we succeed to bring them a second day to help, this will show quite a significant succcess since the majority of them contribute only one day for the response.

There will be surely Lessons learned from this Response. For now, I suggest that people that organize Mapathons communicate with activation @ hotosm.org and provide some infos about the Mapathon
- who Organize this mapathon
- town, country
- Name, email of organizers
- how many experienced osm contributors to support the mapathon
- Nb of people that you plan to receive
- twitter account if you plan to publish updates
- indicate that you give HOT the license to reuse photos that you publish on Twitter. This can help for outreach and various Blog updates.

Various map products

UNOSAT GDACS Live map with geolocated damage analysis.

Visualisation, Potentially Dangerous Glacial Lakes of Nepal

Lanslides in the mountains with the last earthquake this week - See this video to better understand the reality of people living in remote areas of Nepal with only paths connecting the high mountain villages.

A Visualisation Gift from Christian Quest of OSM-fr
New contributions to OSM for Nepal
Awesoooooooooooooooooooooome!!!
http://osm.cquest.org/nepal/#9/27.7139/85.3198

twitter update on this
https://twitter.com/pierzen/status/599232884982026241

Cheers all

Pierre

Re: OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to various infos

Stefan Keller
Salut Pierre, hi Will, dear leading HOT members, hello all

> Such a response has brought various discussions on the HOT list on how to both respond quickly and assure data quality.

I really appreciate your work and the work of all contributors. So excuse me if I'm little bit too harsh now.

I'm trying to to collect the minimal common set of HOT tags for specifying a renderer, for future use and for OSM quality in general.

Will already answered finally in an earlier post (thanks!) - but I'm sorry to say: What we (OSM) now have in HOT pages is a tag mess since years!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps there a process on tagging mailing list I'm missing? Here's what I found:

To me the potential main HOT tag page is "Humanitarian_OSM_Tags" [1]. This page is very "orphaned" - it has been edited twice since 2013(!?).
It prominently points to "Humanitarian_Data_Background" as "An up-to-date list of tags for HOT" - being a page which has been updated 3.5 years ago (!?).

Then I see that no single wiki page with Nepal in its title - including "2015_Nepal_earthquake" [3]  - is pointing to Humanitarian_OSM_Tags, whereas the Nepal_remote_mapping_guide [4] mainly lists the usual main tags (like building=yes, natural=wood|water, water=*, waterway=river, waterway=stream, landuse=farmland).

I would expect at least to see tags like damage:event and idp:camp_site - being top 20 in [6] - to show up in any wiki page related to tags mentioned above.
But these aren't even mentioned in the wiki except somehow in [4] - but which was declared outdated 2013.

How can we clean up this under-documented mess and "tag soup" at least for a small common set of tags?

Yours, S.

[...]

Blake Girardot

Hi Stefan,

HOT (and OSM) tagging has grown and evolved since we first started 5 or
6 years ago that is for sure. And given the somewhat intermittent
participatory nature of OSM and the wiki things can for sure get out of
sync.

We would welcome any assistance with updating, streamlining and
regularizing HOT's tagging and tagging guidance and underlying data
model if need be. It is a big project for the folks in and out of HOT
who developed and maintain it.

It was through gentle ;) feedback from the OSM community that we have
started use some more planned tagging schemes you mentioned so there is
yet time for some of that to catch up.

I am excited for us to roll up our sleeves and give the tagging,
guidance, data model and rendering a timely review and updating. At the
moment many in HOT are concentrating on working with our fellow
travelers in Nepal (and DRC and Vanuatu and Guam and South Sudan and
Nigeria and several other places unfortunately), but when that begins to
thankfully be less of an urgent matter several of us look forward to
joining you fully in the process.

And like I said, any reorganization or updating and streaming in the
wiki you could help us with in the mean time will be very welcome and
appreciated. If you have any questions please just ask them here on the
mailing list but under a different email thread so it is less confusing
talking about something that has nothing to do with this thread.

Cheers,
Blake

On 5/15/2015 8:43 PM, Stefan Keller wrote:

> [...]
>
>     Visualisation, /Potentially Dangerous Glacial Lakes of Nepal
>     /
>     http://geoportal.icimod.org/storymaps/nepalglakes/
>
>     Lanslides in the mountains with the last earthquake this week - See
>     this video to better understand the reality of people living in
>     remote areas of Nepal with only paths connecting the high mountain
>     villages.
>     https://twitter.com/pierzen/status/599005434733789185
>
>     A Visualisation Gift from Christian Quest of OSM-fr
>     New contributions to OSM for Nepal
>     Awesoooooooooooooooooooooome!!!
>     http://osm.cquest.org/nepal/#9/27.7139/85.3198
>
>     twitter update on this
>     https://twitter.com/pierzen/status/599232884982026241
>     Cheers all
>
>     Pierre

Re: Mapping high tension power lines in Nepal

Springfield Harrison
Hello Brad,

        Sorry to be slow on this, lots to keep up with.

        In terms of helicopter flight hazards, it wouldn't really be necessary to map all the power lines, end to end.  The hazards are primarily where the power lines cross valleys or gorges.  Marking only those types of sites may save a lot of time.

        In addition, if the pilot has to scan the whole powerline map to assess for hazards, that is not much help overall.  Our aviation charts do show power lines but also show the crossings with tower symbols.

        Also worth mapping are communication towers.  These can prove quite a threat in poor weather, especially if not lighted or marked.

                 Thanks, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring Harrison

At 14-05-2015 08:23 Thursday, Brad Neuhauser wrote:
Fyi, user GautamPratik already started entering some hydro sites using the tag hydropower_project:name. Here's a search for that: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9lJ

And one for power=generator generally in Nepal: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9lN

Cheers, Brad

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Steve Bower <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Nepal Electric Authority would likely already have such a map, or relevant data:
http://www.nea.org.np/

Page 106 of their annual plan has a transmission line map:
http://www.nea.org.np/images/supportive_docs/Annual%20Report-2014.pdf

[...]

and rescue effort is around Ghorthali (27.7517 NÂ 86.0342 E) from where