Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Dion Moult
G'day all,

I've started using OSM more and more and I find it frustrating that many house addresses are not available in OSM. I would like to help by tracing many houses using ESRI as a base map (feel free to audit my history on OSM under the name "Moult").  I would also like to add address information (addr:housenumber and addr:street) to these ways however I don't think that we are meant to be copying from Google maps. Is there another map source that has addresses that we can use? Perhaps some form of government cadastre map? Is that allowed?

​Dion Moult​

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Joel H.-2
OSM is permitted to use the LPI Base Map, This contains street number
where they are.

However I am not from NSW so I can't say how accurate LPI is. You are
best to do a ground survey, the Android app StreetComplete is good for
this as long as the houses have been mapped already.

If you wish to use LPI, you can switch under imagery in JOSM (and maybe iD)

On 03/06/18 22:00, [hidden email] wrote

> I've started using OSM more and more and I find it frustrating that many house addresses are not available in OSM. I would like to help by tracing many houses using ESRI as a base map (feel free to audit my history on OSM under the name "Moult").  I would also like to add address information (addr:housenumber and addr:street) to these ways however I don't think that we are meant to be copying from Google maps. Is there another map source that has addresses that we can use? Perhaps some form of government cadastre map? Is that allowed?
>
> ​Dion Moult​

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Andrew Harvey-3
On 3 June 2018 at 21:48, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've started using OSM more and more and I find it frustrating that many house addresses are not available in OSM. I would like to help by tracing many houses using ESRI as a base map (feel free to audit my history on OSM under the name "Moult").  I would also like to add address information (addr:housenumber and addr:street) to these ways however I don't think that we are meant to be copying from Google maps. Is there another map source that has addresses that we can use? Perhaps some form of government cadastre map? Is that allowed?

What do you mean by "ESRI as a base map" do you mean the "ESRI World Imagery" available in ID and JOSM? ESRI's map layers are not allowed, just like Google Maps or Google Street View which must not be used as we don't have the copyright permissions to use these.

Joel H is right about the LPI Base Map as a source of addresses, which we do have an explicit permission for (not the new OSMF waiver though).

The building outlines are best obtained from the LPI Imagery which has the highest resolution and isn't too old.

Not sure how you would find the addr:street? I'd say don't add this unless you know from a survey or local_knowledge, especially around corners it can be tricky. Besides most of the time it can be guessed already by data consumers snapping to the nearest road segment.

PS. There is also GNAF which has address data Australia wide which you can use with OSM, but not import into OSM. Personally I use this in a lot of maps and mobile apps (OsmAnd, you should be able to get it into maps.me too).

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Warin
+1 for the LIP Imagery and Base Map.
I have been doing a few places - the shopping areas for tourist spots as that is where I think most of navigation demand is. At the centres of a block the street name is fairly obvious. The corners can be tricky for the street name .. but if the number flows sequentially in one direction and non sequentially in the other you can extrapolate that the street name is the same as for the sequential numbers.

In Sydneys CBD the LIP Imagery is fairly up to date, in Coffs Harbour the DigitalGlobe Standard Imagery is more upto date.

Good luck, there is a lot to do .. you may find it best to do the start and end of each street as a start to the house numbers, you 'll get more done and it will serve as a guide for the people trying to navigate.
Oh .. and it is not necessary to map the buildings .. you just need a node with the address information ..that will speed things up too. But for the shopping areas I have been adding the building outlines too.

On 04/06/18 05:12, Andrew Harvey wrote:
[...]

osm.talk-au

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Marc Gemis
Both Andrew and the wiki say that you can only use ESRI World Imagery
(aka World Imagery map). You are not allowed to use anything else from
Esri.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 7:38 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Andy Townsend
On 03/06/18 20:12, Andrew Harvey wrote:
On 3 June 2018 at 21:48, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've started using OSM more and more and I find it frustrating that many house addresses are not available in OSM. I would like to help by tracing many houses using ESRI as a base map (feel free to audit my history on OSM under the name "Moult").  I would also like to add address information (addr:housenumber and addr:street) to these ways however I don't think that we are meant to be copying from Google maps. Is there another map source that has addresses that we can use? Perhaps some form of government cadastre map? Is that allowed?

What do you mean by "ESRI as a base map" do you mean the "ESRI World Imagery" available in ID and JOSM? ESRI's map layers are not allowed, just like Google Maps or Google Street View which must not be used as we don't have the copyright permissions to use these.

As a bit of background, see https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-osm-editor/issues/104 and https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-hub/constituent-engagement/esri-world-imagery-in-openstreetmap/?rmedium=redirect&rsource=blogs.esri.com%2Fesri%2Farcgis%2F2017%2F08%2F24%2Fworld-imagery-in-osm .  I'm not a lawyer, but that github issue has contributions both from ESRI and members of OSMF's LWG, so I'd definitely read it.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Dion Moult
Thanks Andrew et all,

Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.78071/151.06628

In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

I have added both addr:housenumber and addr:street. Points which I am unsure about how I have tagged and would like comments are the addr:housenumber=18;2/18, the usage of service=driveway to link to the entrance=house, and the multiple buildings which have addr:housenumber=28-30.

Any other QA comments would also be much appreciated so I can improve.

In addition, a few months ago I also traced all of the houses which you can see here, and added tags for building=house and levels where appropriate:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-33.8627/151.0840

If there are any QA comments I would love to hear them!

​Dion Moult​

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:
> Thanks Andrew et all,
>
> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.78071/151.06628
>
> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Dion Moult

As a continuation of this thread just wondering if there was a way to divide up Sydney into a grid and automatically check the progress of whether that zone has been mapped or not. Is there a standard approach for this?

Dion Moult

On 6 Jun 2018, 09:39, Warin < [hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:
> Thanks Andrew et all,
>
> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.78071/151.06628
>
> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Phil Wyatt
You could put a project up on the HOT Task manager as a low priority and then send folks the link

https://tasks.hotosm.org/contribute?difficulty=ALL

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad

On 16 Jun 2018, at 10:29 pm, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a continuation of this thread just wondering if there was a way to divide up Sydney into a grid and automatically check the progress of whether that zone has been mapped or not. Is there a standard approach for this?

Dion Moult

On 6 Jun 2018, 09:39, Warin < [hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:
> Thanks Andrew et all,
>
> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.78071/151.06628
>
> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Dion Moult
Wow, seems a little overkill to put the task there where it seems the objective is for humanitarian needs :) Australian house addresses are hardly humanitarian in nature :)

Dion Moult

On June 17, 2018 9:30 AM, Phil Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

You could put a project up on the HOT Task manager as a low priority and then send folks the link

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad

On 16 Jun 2018, at 10:29 pm, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a continuation of this thread just wondering if there was a way to divide up Sydney into a grid and automatically check the progress of whether that zone has been mapped or not. Is there a standard approach for this?

Dion Moult

On 6 Jun 2018, 09:39, Warin < [hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:
> Thanks Andrew et all,
>
> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:
>

> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Phil Wyatt
Correct, alternatively the AU OSM community could set up an instance of the task manager to support community projects.

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad

On 17 Jun 2018, at 11:47 am, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow, seems a little overkill to put the task there where it seems the objective is for humanitarian needs :) Australian house addresses are hardly humanitarian in nature :)

Dion Moult

On June 17, 2018 9:30 AM, Phil Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

You could put a project up on the HOT Task manager as a low priority and then send folks the link

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad

On 16 Jun 2018, at 10:29 pm, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a continuation of this thread just wondering if there was a way to divide up Sydney into a grid and automatically check the progress of whether that zone has been mapped or not. Is there a standard approach for this?

Dion Moult

On 6 Jun 2018, 09:39, Warin < [hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:
> Thanks Andrew et all,
>
> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:
>

> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Daniel O'Connor
For knowing "whats mapped" at a high level, I like http://qa.poole.ch - I believe it has filters for unmapped addresses.

On the ground stuff - streetcomplete does really well at prompting for things without address, highly recommend.

Setting up a task manager instance; I reckon it could make a lot of sense for us as a community. We seem to be a small group who punch above our weight in terms of how spread out we are but have much we have mapped.
Alternatively, maproulette tasks.

It seems to work well for US imports of address/buildings/etc; and its reasonable to expect that:
- One day; the gnaf will be suitable for import or
- LPI Basemap NSW addresses or otger data.gov.au imports for an entire town/area/etc make sense.
- There will be communities within the AU mapping crowd with focuses (camping; cycling; tourism; public transport spring to mind)

Looking at https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager/blob/develop/README.md it seems like python/postgres are the main server hosting requirements.

On Sun, 17 Jun. 2018, 11:17 am Dion Moult, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow, seems a little overkill to put the task there where it seems the objective is for humanitarian needs :) Australian house addresses are hardly humanitarian in nature :)

Dion Moult

On June 17, 2018 9:30 AM, Phil Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

You could put a project up on the HOT Task manager as a low priority and then send folks the link

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad

On 16 Jun 2018, at 10:29 pm, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a continuation of this thread just wondering if there was a way to divide up Sydney into a grid and automatically check the progress of whether that zone has been mapped or not. Is there a standard approach for this?

Dion Moult

On 6 Jun 2018, 09:39, Warin < [hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:
> Thanks Andrew et all,
>
> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:
>

> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Phil Wyatt

Hi Folks,

I must admit I have an ulterior motive for use of a AU based tasking manager as I do mapping for Australian Red Cross during emergencies. I have done the training for HOTOSM project manager but never actually used it. RC use OSM mapping as backgrounds for some of their work and on mobile devices so any improvements in data is always welcome.

I also think it may be a way to get others involved in structured OSM mapping albeit using an emergency as a catalyst. For instance if a cyclone or fire is active somewhere then use that to encourage checking of roads, buildings etc…pretty much what is done on the HOT tasking manager.

I encouraged building mapping (via slack groups) during Tathra fires and now most of the buildings are there.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-36.7272/149.9864

Likewise updating some remote communities when cyclones were imminent.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-14.8985/141.6210

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-15.4746/141.7481

A tasking manager would prevent duplication etc but I think it works best in smaller discrete areas rather than a state wide effort. I am happy to help out where I can but I am definitely just a user, not a programmer or coder.

Cheers - Phil

On the ground stuff - streetcomplete does really well at prompting for things without address, highly recommend.

Setting up a task manager instance; I reckon it could make a lot of sense for us as a community. We seem to be a small group who punch above our weight in terms of how spread out we are but have much we have mapped.

Alternatively, maproulette tasks.

It seems to work well for US imports of address/buildings/etc; and its reasonable to expect that:

- One day; the gnaf will be suitable for import or

- LPI Basemap NSW addresses or otger data.gov.au imports for an entire town/area/etc make sense.

- There will be communities within the AU mapping crowd with focuses (camping; cycling; tourism; public transport spring to mind)

Looking at https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager/blob/develop/README.md it seems like python/postgres are the main server hosting requirements.

On Sun, 17 Jun. 2018, 11:17 am Dion Moult, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow, seems a little overkill to put the task there where it seems the objective is for humanitarian needs :) Australian house addresses are hardly humanitarian in nature :)

Dion Moult

On June 17, 2018 9:30 AM, Phil Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

You could put a project up on the HOT Task manager as a low priority and then send folks the link

Cheers - Phil,

On the road with his iPad

On 16 Jun 2018, at 10:29 pm, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a continuation of this thread just wondering if there was a way to divide up Sydney into a grid and automatically check the progress of whether that zone has been mapped or not. Is there a standard approach for this?

Dion Moult

On 6 Jun 2018, 09:39, Warin < [hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:

> Thanks Andrew et all,

> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:

> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

SimonPoole

There are a number of task manger instances run outside of HOT (which would really really not be an appropriate one). It's on the other side of the world but please feel free to use our (SOSM) instance  http://tasks.osm.ch/ (which is currently mainly used for coordinating an address import).

Simon

PS: while I have your attention maybe somebody wants to weigh in on https://www.reddit.com/r/openstreetmap/comments/8ra1x2/android_apps_that_do_navigation_well/

Am 17.06.2018 um 01:30 schrieb Phil Wyatt:
You could put a project up on the HOT Task manager as a low priority and then send folks the link

https://tasks.hotosm.org/contribute?difficulty=ALL

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad

On 16 Jun 2018, at 10:29 pm, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a continuation of this thread just wondering if there was a way to divide up Sydney into a grid and automatically check the progress of whether that zone has been mapped or not. Is there a standard approach for this?

Dion Moult

On 6 Jun 2018, 09:39, Warin < [hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/06/18 08:51, Dion Moult wrote:
> Thanks Andrew et all,
>
> Yes, I have used the ESRI imagery layer. Thanks for the heads up of the LPI base map. Before I go too far, can one of you please look at the work I've done so far if I'm doing things correctly? Here is a small sample in the suburb of Epping that I have traced houses and added addresses:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.78071/151.06628
>
> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Dion Moult
I had another look at the LPI resource and would like to propose a way of importing address data from LPI, because clearly sitting there for months on end armchair mapping the LPI Base Map as a raster underlay in JOSM is incredibly inefficient. Also, given that I am proposing an import, I would really appreciate community feedback to make sure I don't do anything wrong. First, I've looked at these two pages on usage of the LPI base map:

It seems to me that we can use any of the data from http://spatialservices.finance.nsw.gov.au/mapping_and_imagery/lpi_web_services/access_lpi_web_services to put data into OSM as long as we add it to that contributors page and note the LPI as a source. Specifically, we want to import a node that contains addr:housenumber and addr:street for every single property in NSW.

Unfortunately it seems as though their API doesn't have any function to give a DB dump of addresses inside a bounding box. However it does have two functions, one which allows you to query a coordinate and it'll tell you what is the closest address at that point at a screen resolution (slightly archaic, yes), and another function which allows you to submit an address and it'll tell you what the government thinks is the centroid of the property with that address. So if you whack a bunch of points in JOSM that are within the bounds of a property based off the LPI NSW Base Map as a raster layer in JOSM, you can do Edit->Copy Coordinates in JOSM, dump it in a file, and use a script I wrote which will query the LPI web services to find the address, then query it again to find the proper centroid lat/long, then create a CSV of points and addresses which you can import into JOSM. Here's the script with sample input and sample output:

... this is the changeset I produced with this small test sample:

With this method I reckon you can quite quickly and accurately import addresses for a suburb. Note that this only imports nodes. It is up to somebody else to draw buildings and so on. Note that this uses two web services, the NSW Address Location Service and the NSW Property Service. The former is already credited in the contributors page, but the latter is not yet - it will have to be added, I suspect.

Looking forward to any feedback!

Dion Moult

On June 17, 2018 3:14 PM, Daniel O'Connor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

I few thoughts:

1. If you're planning an Import, and you haven't already read up on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

2. I like the idea of doing this semi-manually in JOSM. I'm against a completely automated import because we have addresses already in OSM from surveys which should be retained (and avoid having duplicates dumped on top).

3. I know you've got your scripts working already, but you still might be interested in how we're trying to pull out addresses via the LPI Web Services as CC BY 3.0 AU data for OpenAddresses.io at https://github.com/openaddresses/openaddresses/pull/3977

4. We are still bound by the Terms and Conditions of using the web services at http://spatialservices.finance.nsw.gov.au/mapping_and_imagery/lpi_web_services/terms_and_conditions specifically "2.1.6. use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other device to retrieve or index any portion of the SWS". I've asked LPI about this before and was told it was okay as long as usage didn't affect other users, they were thankful that I asked first though. The way you're using the API I think is okay, but best to play it safe and be friendly with LPI on what we're doing in light of this clause.

5. The NZ community have been importing their national LINZ data, might be worth reading up on https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2017-June/005014.html to see if there's anything we could learn from their work.

On 17 June 2018 at 19:00, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> In that scenario I did not trace off the LPI imagery, but instead traced off ESRI. I noticed if I enable the LPI imagery, the houses don't line up. Should this be fixed? If so, what's the best way?

Any imagery can have a 'offset' from where it should be. And that offset will vary as you go up and down hills.

The LPI Imagery has much better resolution and less parallax error than the other sources .. I prefer it to any other images for its accuracy.

That said it is usefull to check with other images for more up to date things. I found in Coffs Harbour that the DigitalGlobe stuff is more current.

I'll leave others to comment on that address stuff.. no expert on that (yet). :)

Re: Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Thanks Andrew for your reply!

1. Thanks for the link to the import guidelines. My responses to the import guidelines below:

 1. I am aware that big automatic updates can cause problems. I will only import addr:housenumber and addr:street and a single node.
 2. Yep, sending to talk-au mailing list.
 3. I think we have the appropriate license.
 >=4. Looking for more feedback on talk-au first :)

2. Yes, you are absolutely right that this is not a huge automatic import - it relies on a human choosing what addresses to add and a human submitting it as a change. All it does it automate the address lookup and make sure that the node is neatly positioned at the correct location.
3. It looks like you're grabbing their entire dataset. That would be the alternative approach, doing a data dump, then importing that dump. This can import a lot more addresses, but is also much more complex. Is it worth pursuing? What do you reckon?
4. It seems odd that they would provide an API but would prevent anything from using it.
5. Looks like they are doing the big data import. See 3.

Dion Moult