Mapping opportunities along the Great North Walk

Mapping opportunities along the Great North Walk

Dion Moult
G'day all!

I've started walking the Great North Walk and was miffed that I couldn't
immediately find a good online map showing the full route from Sydney to
Newcastle. Instead I found incredibly difficult to navigate websites, paywalled
online maps, and maps split up into many smaller pages.

I decided to walk it myself and create a map for it here:

https://thinkmoult.com/map-of-the-great-north-walk-sydney-to-newcastle.html

Out of curiosity, I was wondering what things I can help map while I'm on this
route? I am not currently aware of a single "route" / multi-line in the OSM
database that describes the Great North Walk.

I considered mapping the sign posts, but they are quite plenty and probably of
little benefit.

Any ideas?

--
Dion Moult

Re: Mapping opportunities along the Great North Walk

Ben Kelley-4
Hi.

It should be possible to make a single relation for it.

   - Ben.

--
Ben Kelley
[hidden email]

Re: Mapping opportunities along the Great North Walk

Ewen Hill
Dion,
   Thanks for your hard work to date and good luck with your trek. I am happy to help you off-line and this is open to conjecture however I would ...
1. Create a single master relation and attach all elements to this
2. Where the track may split into two (e.g into the town/skirting around it) perhaps create alternative more localised relationships
3. I would attach all benches, seats, potable water points etc. to the master. This will allow users to easily download everything they need. This is probably frowned on however in planning the Munda Biddi Trail attack, I have found this invaluable ... and critical to the planning for water points. Others will disagree.
4. I would suggest using mapillary to upload some sections of the track where it is complex. You can then upload these images and rework the route accordingly and have the appropriate sign posts.
5. Have fun and enjoy - don't get bogged down in mapping whilst enjoying the trip.

Ewen

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 at 15:47, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia

Re: Mapping opportunities along the Great North Walk

Josh Marshall
There is a relation for the Great North Walk, and it covers at least the bits I’ve traveled myself if not the whole thing; Watagans north to Newcastle and the Patonga to Yarramalong sections. On my phone now, but I can look it up later.

That said, I’ve not seen any good renderers that highlight it specifically, but it’s been a while since I’ve looked.

On 27 Dec 2018, at 4:42 pm, Ewen Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Warin
It is visible and usable here
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=1388126&map=9!-33.3964!151.4204

This includes ;
GPX file
elevation profile

Things to do?

water sources
toilets

these are the two main things.

other things?

shops, cafes, public transport where missing.

The route relation is 1388126.

PS the lane cover river gets less attractive as you get towards Pennant Hills (more weeds and pollution).

On 27/12/18 16:42, Ewen Hill wrote:
Dion,
   Thanks for your hard work to date and good luck with your trek. I am happy to help you off-line and this is open to conjecture however I would ...
1. Create a single master relation and attach all elements to this
2. Where the track may split into two (e.g into the town/skirting around it) perhaps create alternative more localised relationships
See the existing relation - that has at least 2 alternatives .. one is closed due to the rile range... and not likely to open any time soon. Another is to get around the expensive private ferry from Brooklyn to Pantonga - 2 possiblities.

OSM routes for bushwalking, MTBs, cycling, horse riding, skiing can all be found on that site https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/ if they are tagged as routes in OSM.

3. I would attach all benches, seats, potable water points etc. to the master. This will allow users to easily download everything they need. This is probably frowned on however in planning the Munda Biddi Trail attack, I have found this invaluable ... and critical to the planning for water points. Others will disagree.

Yep. Does not go well with a 'route' definition.
If you want this it could be better as a 'site relation' - containing the water, camp, shops etc .. and possibly the route relation too as a member?

4. I would suggest using mapillary to upload some sections of the track where it is complex. You can then upload these images and rework the route accordingly and have the appropriate sign posts.
5. Have fun and enjoy - don't get bogged down in mapping whilst enjoying the trip.

Most, if not all, of the route mapping is done. It is the 'extras' that are missing.
Yes there may be some sign posts missing.. but of more importance are water, toilets ... I think camp sites re done.. as are the remote shops.
Remote transport (e.g. Somersby) is not done.

P.S. I'd rather have somewhat cooler regards at this time of year. :)

[...]

That site is great, thanks! I’ve been held back from adding all the walking routes as relations around here (Newcastle) because of a lack of a way to share them with others. I see that the Bathers Way is there but incomplete so I’ll go fix that now.

Re: Mapping opportunities along the Great North Walk

Dion Moult
Wow! Absolutely did not know about that site, and I apologise for not checking
thoroughly otherwise I would've seen that a route already existed.

I've updated the article
(https://thinkmoult.com/map-of-the-great-north-walk-sydney-to-newcastle.html) to
include the full route as provided by OSM. I've also included more credits and
copyright information about OSM. I will continue to host that page, and will add
some of my own hiking notes on to it, and will definitely add any useful small
details (already added a couple drinking water taps to OSM!).

I was surprised when I searched for "the great north walk map" online and didn't
immediately find a single comprehensive map, so hopefully this'll point more
people in the right direction, and also make people realise what a great
resource OSM is!