Mapping separated highways, islands, roundabout flares, etc.

Mapping separated highways, islands, roundabout flares, etc.

Neil Matthews-2
My understanding has been that if a highway has a physical divider
separating traffic in opposite directions, then one should split it into
two sections as close to the physical object as possible.

If this is correct (and I hope so) -- then is there any reason not to
continue that idea of separating separate traffic moving in opposite
directions, as the size of the divider decreases? (Other than
time/inclination to map?).

I'm thinking of flared exits and entry ways for roundabouts, traffic
calming, and in the limit maybe even traffic islands? Does that seem
sensible the wiki is a bit quiet about it.

Best regards,
Neil

Re: Mapping separated highways, islands, roundabout flares, etc.

Jeremy Harris
On 21/01/2021 20:23, Neil Matthews wrote:
> My understanding has been that if a highway has a physical divider separating traffic in opposite directions, then one should split it into two sections as close to the physical object as possible.
>
> If this is correct (and I hope so) -- then is there any reason not to continue that idea of separating separate traffic moving in opposite directions, as the size of the divider decreases? (Other than time/inclination to map?).
>
> I'm thinking of flared exits and entry ways for roundabouts, traffic calming, and in the limit maybe even traffic islands? Does that seem sensible the wiki is a bit quiet about it.

For simple traffic islands, a node with traffic_calming=island
seems perfectly reasonable to me - and usable also when
placed on the entry to a mini-roundabout.

There is also crossing:island=yes on a crossing=*

I see micromapping a split into one-way road section as excessive
for just a standard-size traffic island.  I'd alter that position
if I was accurately mapping the area of a road, rather than mapping
it as a line.

For the larger triangle-shape islands on the flare for "proper" roundabouts,
I'm prepared to draw the split.
   Jeremy