Maps.Me in Tanzania

j.chapman

Impressed with the updated Maps.me and the ability to add points to osm.  However concerned about duplicate entries, and the list of categories.  Does anyone know how often the map of Tanzania is updated in Maps.me and if there's any way of amending the category list to make it more relevant to rural Tanzania?  Thanks, Janet

Re: Maps.Me in Tanzania

Imre Samu
They have a github dev page [ https://github.com/mapsme/omim ]
and probably you can create an issue [ https://github.com/mapsme/omim/issues ]

from their github page:
"Feedback: Please report bugs and suggestions to the issue tracker, or by mail to [hidden email]."

Impressed with the updated Maps.me and the ability to add points to osm.  However concerned about duplicate entries, and the list of categories.  Does anyone know how often the map of Tanzania is updated in Maps.me and if there's any way of amending the category list to make it more relevant to rural Tanzania?  Thanks, Janet

Re: Maps.Me in Tanzania

joost

Hi Janet,

While I know it is possible to do such things with those apps, I wouldn't know how. But it helps asking around. Or posting on their issue trackers as suggested.

Same goes for querying data provided by Osmand and maps.me editors. Must be possible, but not trivial. I think the best way would be to create an rss feed of relevant changesets (hard) , loading those in an online spreadsheet (easy) , and marking them as checked when you had a look (very easy).

I think my friends in Bolivia would like to have such a thing too.

Joost

Op 20-apr.-2016 11:05 schreef <[hidden email]>:

Dear Joost

Thanks very much for that.  It would be fantastic to create an African or even Swahili Maps.me with relevant tags, as I think this is definitely a great way to get people on the ground mapping.

I'm currently writing this on my phone on a bus in Kakonko,  and can't check out the links yet,  but do you know if there is a way in osm to bring up all the points in an area that have been added via Maps.me as often you're mapping onto a blank page so points are unlikely to correspond exactly to a building,  but could be corrected in osm with reference to the satellite image..

Thanks
Janet

Re: Maps.Me in Tanzania

Blake Girardot

Hi Janet,

I also forwarded your email to Illya, one of the maps.me developers.

But Joost's email just reminded me that we are in the process of
creating a maps.me export for our HOT Export Tool that would allow you
to get an up to the minute set of data for maps.me anytime you want, so
you could literally map today, and be using the data you entered later
that evening in maps.me.

I ran out of time, but I also spoke a little bit to Illya about how we
might help add to the their existing data editing model to better
support humanitarian mapping.

maps.me as a company is a great supporter of humanitarian mapping and
they often contact HOT to discuss ways they can support our work in
their tools (the HOT export tool support being one very concrete
example, open sourcing their product is another) so I am sure we can
make progress to make the app even more useful in the contexts we
generally work.

Cheers,
Blake

On 4/20/2016 2:45 PM, joost schouppe wrote:

> Hi Janet,
>
> While I know it is possible to do such things with those apps, I
> wouldn't know how. But it helps asking around. Or posting on their issue
> trackers as suggested.
>
> Same goes for querying data provided by Osmand and maps.me
> <http://maps.me> editors. Must be possible, but not trivial. I think the
> best way would be to create an rss feed of relevant changesets (hard) ,
> checked when you had a look (very easy).
>
> I think my friends in Bolivia would like to have such a thing too.
>
> Joost
>
> Op 20-apr.-2016 11:05 schreef <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Dear Joost
>
>     Thanks very much for that.  It would be fantastic to create an
>     African or even Swahili Maps.me with relevant tags, as I think this
>     is definitely a great way to get people on the ground mapping.
>
>     I'm currently writing this on my phone on a bus in Kakonko,  and
>     can't check out the links yet,  but do you know if there is a way in
>     osm to bring up all the points in an area that have been added via
>     Maps.me as often you're mapping onto a blank page so points are
>     unlikely to correspond exactly to a building,  but could be
>     corrected in osm with reference to the satellite image..
>
>     Thanks
>     Janet

Thank you so much Blake, Maps.Me is brilliant, just trying to work out the best way to ensure we get as accurate data as possible as most people in rural Tanzania are mapping onto pretty blank canvases...

Janet

 Janet Chapman - Campaigns Manager and Project Officer

http://hiaragirlpower.blogspot.com/

TANZANIA DEVELOPMENT TRUST

Registered Charity no 270462

Every pound given to TDT goes directly to projects in Tanzania

www.TanzDevTrust.org

> Subject: Re: [HOT] Maps.Me in Tanzania

> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:02:26 +0200
>

> Hi Janet,
>
> I also forwarded your email to Illya, one of the maps.me developers.
>
> But Joost's email just reminded me that we are in the process of
> creating a maps.me export for our HOT Export Tool that would allow you
> to get an up to the minute set of data for maps.me anytime you want, so
> you could literally map today, and be using the data you entered later
> that evening in maps.me.
>
> I ran out of time, but I also spoke a little bit to Illya about how we
> might help add to the their existing data editing model to better
> support humanitarian mapping.
>
> maps.me as a company is a great supporter of humanitarian mapping and
> they often contact HOT to discuss ways they can support our work in
> their tools (the HOT export tool support being one very concrete
> example, open sourcing their product is another) so I am sure we can
> make progress to make the app even more useful in the contexts we
> generally work.
>
> Cheers,
> Blake
>
> On 4/20/2016 2:45 PM, joost schouppe wrote:
> > Hi Janet,
> >
> > While I know it is possible to do such things with those apps, I
> > wouldn't know how. But it helps asking around. Or posting on their issue
> > trackers as suggested.
> >
> > Same goes for querying data provided by Osmand and maps.me
> > <http://maps.me> editors. Must be possible, but not trivial. I think the
> > best way would be to create an rss feed of relevant changesets (hard) ,
> > checked when you had a look (very easy).
> >
> > I think my friends in Bolivia would like to have such a thing too.
> >
> > Joost
> >
> > Op 20-apr.-2016 11:05 schreef <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> > Dear Joost
> >
> > Thanks very much for that. It would be fantastic to create an
> > African or even Swahili Maps.me with relevant tags, as I think this
> > is definitely a great way to get people on the ground mapping.
> >
> > I'm currently writing this on my phone on a bus in Kakonko, and
> > can't check out the links yet, but do you know if there is a way in
> > osm to bring up all the points in an area that have been added via
> > Maps.me as often you're mapping onto a blank page so points are
> > unlikely to correspond exactly to a building, but could be
> > corrected in osm with reference to the satellite image..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Janet

In case you missed it (it was in the WeeklyOSM), you can now create an RSS feed (or visualize) with changesets by editor using one of Simon Poole's tools:

The only thing is that you have to zoom in to an unreasonably high zoom to be able to get a result. (probably as the tool is built with people watching their very local area)
There might be a way around using the RSS. I used to collect similar RSS feeds to a Google Spreadsheat using IFTTT, which is really quite straightforward.