Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

ael-3
I have just updated the firmware on my Etrex 20 to version 4.80.

The OSM map no longer works. Very worrying.

Obviously I need to provide far more detail, but is this a known
problem?

My contour map does still display, which is less worrying.

Re: Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

nwillink
That is worrying !

A currently in contact with Garmin about an address issue on the new
gpsmap66 and it seems that addresses do no longer work on custom maps .

Nick

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 01:10:33PM +0000, osm@pinns wrote:
> That is worrying !
>
> A currently in contact with Garmin about an address issue on the new
> gpsmap66 and it seems that addresses do no longer work on custom maps .
>
> On 16/11/2018 12:36, ael wrote:
> > I have just updated the firmware on my Etrex 20 to version 4.80.
> >
> > The OSM map no longer works. Very worrying.

As a further check, I just downloaded a new map from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
and tried that. Still not working.

If I try to navigate to a waypoint, it says that there is no routable
map available. But if if I try to visit a recent find, it finds a
route and mentions road names and the like. Not sure whether that is
coming out of some cache, or whether some aspect of the routing is still
working.

The log and licence files from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ do not
mention the version of mkgmap used.
The map is at pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/10-11-2018/387c09aab3ba73bbc48e657f6290d60e for the next 4 days.

I selected Generic Routable version without a TYP file for simplicity.
The previous version which failed was "Generic Routable".

As before, my contour maps are working. I thought that they had been
generated with mkgmap, but I might be wrong.

As before, there is nothing displayed on the screen: only the contours,
waypoints, photo icons and so on. Just noything from the OSM enabled
map.

Is there anything simple that I can do to help debug the problem?

ael

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 03:20:05PM +0000, ael wrote:

> > On 16/11/2018 12:36, ael wrote:
> > > I have just updated the firmware on my Etrex 20 to version 4.80.
> > >
> > > The OSM map no longer works. Very worrying.
>
> As a further check, I just downloaded a new map from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
> and tried that. Still not working.
>
> I selected Generic Routable version without a TYP file for simplicity.
> The previous version which failed was "Generic Routable".

Clarification: they are both Generic Routable. Previous ^^^^^ was "(new
style)". Latest test was was 1st default choice without "(new style)".

ael

Re: Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

Gerd Petermann
I think I had those problems with routes after changing the map. Did you try to create a new route?

Gerd

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 04:15:42PM +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> I think I had those problems with routes after changing the map. Did you try to create a new route?

Well, as there was no map displayed, I couldn't select a point and try
to get a route to it. What I did do was go to a Waypoint and try to
route to that. It failed as I said complaining of no routable map.

Again, as I said earlier, what did seem to work is to select a recent
find, and route to that. It showed a route which was following an OSM
map complete with street names. Of course, the map that it was following
was not shown. But, again, as I said, maybe that was out of some cache
rather than using the current map. I had no way of knowing. Perhaps the
cache held the "track" and the list of names; as in the route display,
or whatever that menu option is.

ael

Re: Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

Gerd Petermann
OK, that is probably nothing that we can fix in mkgmap :-(

Gerd

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 04:15:42PM +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> I think I had those problems with routes after changing the map. Did you try to create a new route?

Well, as there was no map displayed, I couldn't select a point and try
to get a route to it. What I did do was go to a Waypoint and try to
route to that. It failed as I said complaining of no routable map.

Again, as I said earlier, what did seem to work is to select a recent
find, and route to that. It showed a route which was following an OSM
map complete with street names. Of course, the map that it was following
was not shown. But, again, as I said, maybe that was out of some cache
rather than using the current map. I had no way of knowing. Perhaps the
cache held the "track" and the list of names; as in the route display,
or whatever that menu option is.

ael

Re: Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

Felix Hartmann-2
are you sure you're not sending maps with MapInstall 4.2.0?
Meaning are you sure you did not destroy the .img files using Mapinstall 4.2.0? Use mkgmap itself to generate a gmapsupp.img (of a non unicode map just to be sure - maybe the firmware update crashes unicode maps but I've not heard of that for etrex 20/30)  and check if that works.
Can you not downgrade the firmware?

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 17:45, Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, that is probably nothing that we can fix in mkgmap :-(

Gerd

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 04:15:42PM +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> I think I had those problems with routes after changing the map. Did you try to create a new route?

Well, as there was no map displayed, I couldn't select a point and try
to get a route to it. What I did do was go to a Waypoint and try to
route to that. It failed as I said complaining of no routable map.

Again, as I said earlier, what did seem to work is to select a recent
find, and route to that. It showed a route which was following an OSM
map complete with street names. Of course, the map that it was following
was not shown. But, again, as I said, maybe that was out of some cache
rather than using the current map. I had no way of knowing. Perhaps the
cache held the "track" and the list of names; as in the route display,
or whatever that menu option is.

ael

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

Ticker Berkin
couple of thoughts

I've experienced the devices remembering parts of the map structure and
 being in a bit of a mess when I've used the same map but copied to a
differently structured SD card. Maybe the newer firmware has a
different idea of the internal structures. So, suggest you make a new
map and try that, rather than one the device has seen before.

I got a new Etrex 30x a few weeks ago and upgraded the firmware from
2.50 (as installed on purchase) to the latest: 2.90 (using the garmin
quickstart windows program). I've not had any problems with mkgmap
generated maps.

Ticker

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 05:48:43PM +0100, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> are you sure you're not sending maps with MapInstall 4.2.0?

That seems to be some sort of Windoze program. I am in a Microsoft free
zone :-(

I frequently install maps: I just place the *.img file into the sdhc
Garmin directory. I haven't actually checksummed it but I am sure
that it is correctly installed. It appears on the Map setup menu, and I
can enable/disable it. So it is seen by the Garmin firmware. And the
other contour maps (also *.img) are in there and working: I think that
they were built by mkgmap, but could be wrong.

> Meaning are you sure you did not destroy the .img files using Mapinstall
> 4.2.0? Use mkgmap itself to generate a gmapsupp.img (of a non unicode map
> just to be sure - maybe the firmware update crashes unicode maps but I've
> not heard of that for etrex 20/30)  and check if that works.

I may try that eventually, but for now have just used maps provided by
others.

> Can you not downgrade the firmware?

I very much hope so. I have a suspicion that I might have seen some
suggestions that that was not possible. At least not in a simple way.
Haven't looked at that yet, and any pointers to info on that would
be helpful. But it will need to work under linux if it requires support
from outside the Garmin.

I have only just discovered this problem and wanted to alert everyone
ASAP that there is/may be a problem, so others don't get hit.
Obviously I worry that Garmin might be trying to stop 3rd party
maps, although that would be incredibly stupid if that was really true.

ael

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 05:13:32PM +0000, Ticker Berkin wrote:
> couple of thoughts
>
> I've experienced the devices remembering parts of the map structure and
>  being in a bit of a mess when I've used the same map but copied to a
> differently structured SD card. Maybe the newer firmware has a
> different idea of the internal structures. So, suggest you make a new
> map and try that, rather than one the device has seen before.

The map that failed was installed after the firmware upgrade, so the
unit hadn't seen it before.

> I got a new Etrex 30x a few weeks ago and upgraded the firmware from
> 2.50 (as installed on purchase) to the latest: 2.90 (using the garmin
> quickstart windows program). I've not had any problems with mkgmap
> generated maps.

This is an Etrex 20 rather than 20x. Your 2.90 firmware image seems to
have the same time stamp as my 4.80, so the fact that it works on
the Etrex 30x is encouraging. If Garmin were trying to block 3rd party
maps, they would presumably do the same thing on both models.

There seem to be a fair number of posts on recovering bricked units and
reflashing on the web, but most quite old. At least I could get into
pre-boot mode. So eventually I should be able to recover. But I haven't
tried even the simplest option as yet - just trying to install the
previous working 4.70 firmware.

I will not have much spare time for the next several days, so if I don't
reply promptly, that will be the explanation.

Thanks for all the suggestions, so far.

ael

Re: Etrex 20 Firmware version 4.80 does not work with mkgmaps.

ael-3
On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 05:48:43PM +0100, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> Can you not downgrade the firmware?

Yes. Fortunately, Garmin do allow that. When the unit prompts for you
to confirm that you really do want an older version, it takes a minute
or two before it responds and accepts the answer. I thought at first
that it was stopping me making that selection - very worrying - but
eventaully it responded and went ahead.

So an update. Firmware version 4.80 really does not seem to work with
the OSM map generated by mkgmap. I tried many things including a full
factory reset.

Reverting to firmware version 4.70, and the map is back.

Sorry that I can't throw any more light on the matter. As I said my
contour maps (which I thought were generated also by mkgmap) *did*
work. And as I also said, the Garmin showed the map and allowed it
to be Enabled/Disabled, but otherwise did not seem to work.

ael

Re: Update: Firmware 4.80 on Etrex 20 now working.

ael-3
I now have firmware 4.80 working!

Apologies for panic.

It turns out that a contour map from BBBike.org was blocking other maps
on 4.80.

I thought that I had tried disabling it in my tests, but I have now
removed it. The start of the file contains these strings:

GB_mainland_contours
u, BBBike.org 19-Jul-2016 19:05

The "SMC contours" contours map is working properly.

Sorry for the noise, but maybe this might help someone else.

ael