Mapsource/Basecamp/GPSMapedit transliterating codepage 1251/1256 maps

Mapsource/Basecamp/GPSMapedit transliterating codepage 1251/1256 maps

Felix Hartmann-2
Any Clues on this?

If I create maps in arabic or kyrillic (or also greek) script - they do work fine on some computers - on others (notably windows 10) however they are transliterated into latin.

Mkgmap is creating the maps correctly - is there any logic behind this/ way to stop those programs from transliterating into latin - WITHOUT changing windows default codepage to the map codepage?

I do not really understand why/how this is happening and somehow miss the right clues to find out via google.

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Mapsource/Basecamp/GPSMapedit transliterating codepage 1251/1256 maps

Felix Hartmann-2
Oh - forgot to add. Even though this seems to be a windows problem - maps produced in CP1251 with cgpsmapper do not seem to be affected by this transliteration.
e.g. http://gis-lab.info/data/mp/  -- not transliterated.

is however shown on some windows computers in latin - on some in kyrillic/greek (1253).

Codepages like 932 japanese or chinese which are really not transliterable do work fine on all computers however. Unicode of course also works on all computers.

On 27 June 2017 at 10:08, Felix Hartmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any Clues on this?

If I create maps in arabic or kyrillic (or also greek) script - they do work fine on some computers - on others (notably windows 10) however they are transliterated into latin.

Mkgmap is creating the maps correctly - is there any logic behind this/ way to stop those programs from transliterating into latin - WITHOUT changing windows default codepage to the map codepage?

I do not really understand why/how this is happening and somehow miss the right clues to find out via google.

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich

Re: Mapsource/Basecamp/GPSMapedit transliterating codepage 1251/1256 maps

Felix Hartmann-2
okay - well I left all .typfiles in latin1 anyhow. Simple latin alphabet in caps is supported in basically all code-pages worldwide anyhow. Also I suppose this bug is related to windows somehow - as opening single .img files in gpsmapedit will show latin only too - and I did not load any .typ file in gpsmapedit.

I simply wonder if this is fixable or not - or better what settings/system this depends on.
The really strange thing still is that cgpsmapper produced maps are not affected by this problem. Windows 7 / Server 2008 seems to be okay. Windows 10 seems be affected by this problem on mkgmap created maps.

(sorry Nick for sending this twice to you - hit the wrong reply first)

On 27 June 2017 at 10:33, Felix Hartmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
okay - well I left all .typfiles in latin1 anyhow. Simple latin alphabet in caps is supported in basically all code-pages worldwide anyhow. Also I suppose this bug is related to windows somehow - as opening single .img files in gpsmapedit will show latin only too - and I did not load any .typ file in gpsmapedit.
I simply wonder if this is fixable or not - or better what settings/system this depends on.
The really strange thing still is that cgpsmapper produced maps are not affected by this problem.

On 27 June 2017 at 10:21, osm@pinns <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Felix

This may have no bearing on your issue but Garmin does not respond to 1258 in  a TYP file, ie

none of the Vietnamese characters show up in Mapsource Basecamp

No issues with  hebrew,arabic greek,Thai,Japanese Korean etc

It however, does not explain the errors you are getting

Nick