Marking closed businesses

Jon Spriggs
Hi,

Near where I am are some mapped businesses properties which have closed, primarily shops, but also a couple of restaurants.

I'm far from an OSM expert, and my gentle trawl of the wiki hasn't given me any real insight. It's got me thinking, and I'd like to improve information about properties in my area. How can I identify that:

a) A building holds a functioning business (that isn't a shop or restaurant)
b) A building holds a functioning shop
c) A building holds a functioning restaurant
d) A building is a former business property (ceased trading/closed/moved) with no new business taking it's spot

As a side note, I've been using Street Complete on Android. Is it worth asking the Street Complete developers to add information about businesses to their collection data, if they aren't already?
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs
@jontheniceguy everywhere...

Re: Marking closed businesses

Paul Berry
Hi Jon,

Apologies if this is obvious but here goes...

I don't know whether you need to do anything other than visit these places in person and make a judgement as to whether they are trading or not. It's usually pretty clear with closure notices posted, etc. Then update the map accordingly by adding the appropriate disused tag:

Regards,
Paul

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 09:48, Jon Spriggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Woolley
On 07/03/2019 09:47, Jon Spriggs wrote:

> Near where I am are some mapped businesses properties which have closed,
> primarily shops, but also a couple of restaurants.

There is more than one common way of doing this.

Is the building exclusively used by the business?  If not, I would map
the business as a point, or as a polygon covering the plan view area
occupied by the business, and not tag the building with business details.

> a) A building holds a functioning business (that isn't a shop or restaurant
The appropriate tagging for the functioning business, e.g. office=*

> b) A building holds a functioning shop

shop=yes

> c) A building holds a functioning restaurant

amenity=restaurant

> d) A building is a former business property (ceased
> trading/closed/moved) with no new business taking it's spot

shop=vacant

or

disused:shop=<old shop type>
disused:amenity=restaurant

> As a side note, I've been using Street Complete on Android. Is it worth
> asking the Street Complete developers to add information about
> businesses to their collection data, if they aren't already?

I've never heard of that, so I've no idea what the developer's
objectives were.  I'm not aware of any Android tool that I would
recommend to someone who was not experienced with one of the big three
PC editors.

StreetComplete (was: Marking closed businesses)

Andy Townsend

On 07/03/2019 10:22, David Woolley wrote:

> On 07/03/2019 09:47, Jon Spriggs wrote:
>> As a side note, I've been using Street Complete on Android. Is it
>> worth asking the Street Complete developers to add information about
>> businesses to their collection data, if they aren't already?
>
> I've never heard of that, so I've no idea what the developer's
> objectives were.  I'm not aware of any Android tool that I would
> recommend to someone who was not experienced with one of the big three
> PC editors.

The Streetcomplete author seems pretty keen to "map all the things" so
I'm sure they'd be up for that.

They're pretty active on the forum - see e.g.
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=740032#p740032 - so
you should be able to get in touch there.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Marking closed businesses

Jez Nicholson
Fuanctioning restaurants and food-related shops are listed in the FHRS https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Food_Hygiene_Rating_System

As an aside, it can be useful to retain the old name of a restaurant/pub/takeaway so that other mappers don't re-add it...can someone remind me what tag they'd use for an ex-name please?

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 10:24 David Woolley, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/03/2019 09:47, Jon Spriggs wrote:

> Near where I am are some mapped businesses properties which have closed,
> primarily shops, but also a couple of restaurants.

There is more than one common way of doing this.

Is the building exclusively used by the business?  If not, I would map
the business as a point, or as a polygon covering the plan view area
occupied by the business, and not tag the building with business details.

> a) A building holds a functioning business (that isn't a shop or restaurant
The appropriate tagging for the functioning business, e.g. office=*

> b) A building holds a functioning shop

shop=yes

> c) A building holds a functioning restaurant

amenity=restaurant

> d) A building is a former business property (ceased
> trading/closed/moved) with no new business taking it's spot

shop=vacant

or

disused:shop=<old shop type>
disused:amenity=restaurant

> As a side note, I've been using Street Complete on Android. Is it worth
> asking the Street Complete developers to add information about
> businesses to their collection data, if they aren't already?

I've never heard of that, so I've no idea what the developer's
objectives were.  I'm not aware of any Android tool that I would
recommend to someone who was not experienced with one of the big three
PC editors.

Re: Marking closed businesses

Philip Barnes

On Thursday, 7 March 2019, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> Fuanctioning restaurants and food-related shops are listed in the FHRS
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Food_Hygiene_Rating_System
>
> As an aside, it can be useful to retain the old name of a
> restaurant/pub/takeaway so that other mappers don't re-add it...can someone
> remind me what tag they'd use for an ex-name please?

Absolutely, a closed shop is also a useful landmark. Somebody using it is not necessarily looking to buy something.

For example the local Toys r us is still displaying the logos. Obviously it is tagged as disused:shop.

Phil (trigpoint)

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 10:24 David Woolley, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 07/03/2019 09:47, Jon Spriggs wrote:
> > >
> > > Near where I am are some mapped businesses properties which have closed,
> > > primarily shops, but also a couple of restaurants.
> > >

> > There is more than one common way of doing this.
> >
> > Is the building exclusively used by the business?  If not, I would map
> > the business as a point, or as a polygon covering the plan view area
> > occupied by the business, and not tag the building with business details.
> >

> > > a) A building holds a functioning business (that isn't a shop or
> > restaurant
> > The appropriate tagging for the functioning business, e.g. office=*
> >
> > > b) A building holds a functioning shop
> >
> > shop=yes
> >
> > > c) A building holds a functioning restaurant
> >
> > amenity=restaurant
> >
> > > d) A building is a former business property (ceased
> > > trading/closed/moved) with no new business taking it's spot
> >
> > shop=vacant
> >
> > or
> >
> > disused:shop=<old shop type>
> > disused:amenity=restaurant
> >

> > > As a side note, I've been using Street Complete on Android. Is it worth
> > > asking the Street Complete developers to add information about
> > > businesses to their collection data, if they aren't already?
> >
> > I've never heard of that, so I've no idea what the developer's
> > objectives were.  I'm not aware of any Android tool that I would
> > recommend to someone who was not experienced with one of the big three
> > PC editors.

Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: Marking closed businesses

Great Britain mailing list

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 1:25 PM Jez Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fuanctioning restaurants and food-related shops are listed in the FHRS https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Food_Hygiene_Rating_System

As an aside, it can be useful to retain the old name of a restaurant/pub/takeaway so that other mappers don't re-add it...can someone remind me what tag they'd use for an ex-name please?

I would use old_name, possibly with a date namespace e.g. old_name:-2018=Maplin