Microsoft Building Import for Greenville, SC

Microsoft Building Import for Greenville, SC

Mike N.

The OSM Upstate SC group is planning an import of Microsoft building
shapes for the city of Greenville, SC.   The candidate wiki page is at

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Greenville_SC_Building_Import

   The actual import won't take place for 1-2 months yet to allow time
to review the plans.

   Mike

Re: Microsoft Building Import for Greenville, SC

Mike N.

FYI, this is proceeding with 2 people, on dedicated accounts
Greenville_SC_City_MSImport_1 and Greenville_SC_City_MSImport_2

On 1/24/2018 8:28 PM, Mike N wrote:

> The OSM Upstate SC group is planning an import of Microsoft building
> shapes for the city of Greenville, SC.   The candidate wiki page is at
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Greenville_SC_Building_Import
>
>    The actual import won't take place for 1-2 months yet to allow time
> to review the plans.
>
>    Mike

Re: Microsoft Building Import for Greenville, SC

Mike N.
In accordance with Step 6 / item 4 of the imports checklist, the import
and QA is now completed.

Thanks to Microsoft for making building and height data available and
multiplying the efforts of a few local mappers!

On 3/14/2018 10:21 PM, Mike N wrote:

> FYI, this is proceeding with 2 people, on dedicated accounts
> Greenville_SC_City_MSImport_1 and Greenville_SC_City_MSImport_2
>
> On 1/24/2018 8:28 PM, Mike N wrote:
>>
>> The OSM Upstate SC group is planning an import of Microsoft building
>> shapes for the city of Greenville, SC.   The candidate wiki page is at
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Greenville_SC_Building_Import
>>
>>    The actual import won't take place for 1-2 months yet to allow time
>> to review the plans.
>>
>>    Mike

Re: Microsoft Building Import for Greenville, SC

Leon Karcher
Hello Mike,

I think that you have made the same mistake as they made with the Tampa/Clearwater, FL Microsoft building data import: The height is given in feet and inches, but you used metre scheme (x.y) instead of x'y". An example:

This commercial building is never 16 meters tall as said in its height tag. (View on Mapillary) If you compare further buildings, you will see that this is applicable for all others.

I hope you still can fix it, because the managers of the Florida import didn't.

Thanks,
Leon

In accordance with Step 6 / item 4 of the imports checklist, the import and QA is now completed.

Thanks to Microsoft for making building and height data available and multiplying the efforts of a few local mappers!

On 3/14/2018 10:21 PM, Mike N wrote:

FYI, this is proceeding with 2 people, on dedicated accounts Greenville_SC_City_MSImport_1 and Greenville_SC_City_MSImport_2

On 1/24/2018 8:28 PM, Mike N wrote:

The OSM Upstate SC group is planning an import of Microsoft building shapes for the city of Greenville, SC.   The candidate wiki page is at

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Greenville_SC_Building_Import

   The actual import won't take place for 1-2 months yet to allow time to review the plans.

   Mike

Re: Microsoft Building Import for Greenville, SC

Mike N.
There is some question about the overall accuracy of the height data in
this import, but I think the units are correct in meters.  For example,
the Landmark Building [1] is a known height of 305 feet / 92 meters. [2]
Mapillary view (from a distance) [3] .

    Microsoft measured it at 101 meters / 331 feet; an error of 26 feet.
  Since the building is on a slope, it's not known what reference was
used as the base in the Microsoft height measurement.   A measure of 101
feet would be 1/3 of the actual height and not what I would expect.

   Hopefully the units weren't mixed by using different units for
different buildings.  I couldn't see any indication of this in the
original shape file.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/41979319#map=19/34.85453/-82.39767
[2]
https://www.emporis.com/buildings/127342/landmark-building-greenville-sc-usa