Migrating osm.org to vectors/Kartotherian

Migrating osm.org to vectors/Kartotherian – At the State of the Map conference, some OSM developers were discussing the possibility of migrating osm.org to the vector-based backend. I woul...
On Friday 30 October 2015, Yuri Astrakhan wrote: > > Kartotherian <https://github.com/kartotherian/kartotherian>, the > Mapnik+Mapb...
One of the advantages of the the vector-based map would be the multilingualism. For instance at the moment the OSM map of the Middle East is bas...
On 2015-10-30 11:53, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote: > One of the advantages of the the vector-based map would be the > multilingualism. > >...
I've heard from the OSM operations team's member at the conference that it is the question of the servers' infrastructure cost. But if we hav...
Can't we have a multi-lingual map by overlaying a base tile with a transparent text layer in the chosen language? We wouldn't *need* vector ...
Hi Colin, just stitching a labels-layer and a base layer together would work, but most often would not look well. Map rendering involves decidi...
Hi Peter, Most what you said is already solved by data driven style possibilities and clustering that you have already with some existing WebGL l...
Thanks for all the responses! Are there any people on the stylesheet team interested in working on this? It might be possible to adapt osm-carto...
On Saturday 31 October 2015, Yuri Astrakhan wrote: > > Christoph, re multiple projections - if Mapnik implements vector tile > merging, w...
Christoph, thanks for the explanation! Yes, sounds like each projection would have to be generated and stored separatelly. Not that big of a deal...
Somewhat „ambitious" idea, but why should it not be possible to store non-projected (WGS84 datum) data and do the projection in realtime whe...
I think it would be good to have a testbed for it that could then evolve towards replacing the current stack, but as it is quite a complex and a...
I'm on IRC as "yurik", if anyone wants to chat. For vectors and style development, the easiest way is to install Mapbox Studio Class...
On 10/31/2015 6:32 PM, Yuri Astrakhan wrote: > #1 OSM download -> SQL tables > We have used osm2pgsql to produce default table structure....
I know I¹m a bit late... Am 01.11.15, 04:04 schrieb "Paul Norman" unter <penorman@...>: >>#2 SQL -> Vectors >>Thi...
On 2015-10-30 12:29, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote: > But if we have a vector-based map itself language selection, that we > could just add tags _...
In Dutch, in English and other languages based on the Latin alphabet /Afghanistan/ is spelled about the same. But for example in Greek it is: ...
Am 30.10.2015 um 13:31 schrieb Maarten Deen: > > So you have to have some kind of mechanisme to decide when to show > name:en (whi...
W dniu 30.10.2015 11:10, Martin Koppenhoefer napisał(a): > - vector maps are consuming more energy to display (because have to be > calcula...
One such service would be MapBox [1] itself. And in my opinion mapbox-gl-js would be a natural choice for the client part. MapBox is doing a reall...
Am 30.10.2015 um 11:10 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer: > > 2015-10-30 10:52 GMT+01:00 Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann@... > <m...
On Friday 30 October 2015, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote: > > > > - improved tile serving efficiency > > - a larger bandwidth of sty...
On Fr, Okt 30, 2015 at 10:52:40 +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote: > If you look at design problems recently discussed in the osm-carto style >...
On Friday 30 October 2015, Jochen Topf wrote: > > This is not a failure of the vector tile approach in general. It > might be a problem o...
On 30/10/15 01:11, Yuri Astrakhan wrote: > At the State of the Map conference, some OSM developers were discussing > the possibility of mi...