Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Mhairi O'Hara
Dear Hotties,

Please see the e-mail from Pete Masters from the Missing Maps project:

We are thinking about putting together some video training resources
for HOT mapping for newbies. No concrete plans yet, just getting some
thoughts together.

There's a shared doc here, where we're collecting ideas for the
individual modules. Please feel free to add your thoughts and, even
better, to encourage newbies to identify where there are most needs
for training materials...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,

Pete

--
Pete Masters
Missing Maps Project Coordinator

missingmaps.org

@pedrito1414
@theMissingMaps
facebook.com/MissingMapsProject

--
Mhairi O'Hara
Technical Project Manager

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap
for Humanitarian Response
& Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Laura Camellini
Hi all,
as I suggested some days ago, I'd like to add these video training (while done) to a moodle course, And maybe be able to synch the moodle course training with the task manager permission to edit maps.
Do you think this could help you with your tasks?

Regards,
LauraC

[...]

Indonesian Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B62%20822%204701%201475" value="+6282247011475" target="_blank">+62 822 4701 1475

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap
for Humanitarian Response
& Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

althio
Hi Laura,

> as I suggested some days ago, I'd like to add these video training (while
> done) to a moodle course

I will support that.

> And maybe be able to synch the moodle course
> training with the task manager permission to edit maps.

Maybe... but that can be considered later.
It is not a must-have from my point-of-view.
Let us try first to put good documentation and training.
Let us see later if we still need to add permission and locks.

>> There's a shared doc here, where we're collecting ideas for the
>> individual modules. Please feel free to add your thoughts and, even
>> better, to encourage newbies to identify where there are most needs
>> for training materials...
>>

>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Suzan Reed
Training
My major problem with the current training, it's long, boring, and slow. A Quick Start Guide would be perfect for someone like me. A video with this information would be great. I could not go through the training because it went too slow, so I missed some information, but found the process for someone like me who works in Photoshop pretty easy and intuitive, but I'm not a usual newbie.

An orientation video for the area being mapped.
I don't think many mappers know what buildings in remote areas of Nepal look like, or that villages are spread out over a big area, or that paths just end and do not connect in rural Nepal. A video with still and moving images I believe would be a big help. People could then see buildings are not square, built out of piles of rocks, and are often two stories tall with animals below and people above. Roofs are tin, or packed earth. If mappers could see this I think they would do a better job mapping. The video could also go over other details of the project. I'd be willing to help with this.

Mentors
I have connected with someone who is my mentor and checks my work. Think it would be great if every newbie could have a mentor, or a group of mentors to submit work to.

Correcting other's work
We all want to do a good job, but I don't think the training gives the most important information up front, i.e. make buildings the right size and square.

I've just deleted and redrawn about 100 buildings that were not square nor did they fit on the image footprint. The mappers probably thought a rough polygon would let people know a building existed in that spot, but that's not what's needed. Same with paths that didn't conform to the image. How to do it right would be so helpful if included in the training up front. I don't think most people have the patience to go through slow training, or my DVD wouldn't have come with a Quick Start Guide!

I'm a Newbie, and I recommend newbies be limited to drawing buildings and adding roads and paths. Experts should draw Residential Areas in rural areas and note forests and other features. I've corrected hundreds of buildings and paths. It's a waste of time and energy for the original mapper and the person correcting. We all want to do a good job or we wouldn't be spending hours mapping.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Suzan

On May 6, 2015, at 11:10 PM, Laura Camellini wrote:

[...]

+44 7921 781 518

missingmaps.org

@pedrito1414
@theMissingMaps
facebook.com/MissingMapsProject

--
Mhairi O'Hara
Technical Project Manager
Email: [hidden email]
Indonesian Mobile: +62 822 4701 1475

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

althio
Suzan,

As you are interested to help with these 1-min video: please join the
shared document, read it and update it.

> There's a shared doc here, where we're collecting ideas for the
> individual modules. Please feel free to add your thoughts and, even
> better, to encourage newbies to identify where there are most needs
> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing

Your other comments (about current training) are certainly valid but
this is not the best thread for that.

Cheers,

- althio

On 7 May 2015 at 09:30, Suzan Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Masters
> Missing Maps Project Coordinator
> +44 7921 781 518
>
> missingmaps.org
>
> @pedrito1414
> @theMissingMaps
> facebook.com/MissingMapsProject
>
> --
> Mhairi O'Hara
> Technical Project Manager
> Email: [hidden email]
> Indonesian Mobile: +62 822 4701 1475
>
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Springfield Harrison
Hello Suzan,

         I am very new here and puzzled by some of the processes in
place.  Not sure if I will even continue, there seems to be a fair
bit of turmoil not related to the earthquake.  I received one e-mail
from someone who said this OSM initiative has only been going 10
years and was still a work in progress!  10 years, and only now
someone is starting to put together some training materials?  What
has been going on?  The instructional materials that do exist also
seem to be scattered among many sites and documents; I have given up
trying to keep track.  I went through two introductory videos on the
simple editor which was fine and then fired up JOSM which looks quite
daunting, even for someone experienced with GIS.

         I'm still not clear why an emergency response project would
need building footprints, especially when it is so labour intensive
to create and then correct them.  There seem to be some odd
priorities, but then I certainly don't know the whole picture.

                 Thanks, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring

At 07-05-2015 00:30 Thursday, Suzan Reed wrote:

> [...]
>thinking about putting together some video training resources for
>HOT mapping for newbies. No concrete plans yet, just getting some
>thoughts together. There's a shared doc here, where we're collecting
>ideas for the individual modules. Please feel free to add your
>thoughts and, even better, to encourage newbies to identify where
>there are most needs for training materials...
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>Cheers, Pete -- Pete Masters Missing Maps Project Coordinator +44
>7921 781 518 missingmaps.org @pedrito1414 @theMissingMaps
>facebook.com/MissingMapsProject -- Mhairi O'Hara Technical Project
>Manager Email: [hidden email] Indonesian Mobile: +62 822
>4701 1475 Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team Using OpenStreetMap for
>Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Ok althio,
I'm having a look to the document, I have some chance to find some english speaking italian people to record an hangout.
I'll let you know asap.
Regards,
LauraC

[...]

Training My major problem with the current training, it's long, boring, and slow. A Quick Start Guide would be perfect for someone like me. A video with this information would be great. I could not go through the training because it went too slow, so I missed some information, but found the process for someone like me who works in Photoshop pretty easy and intuitive, but I'm not a usual newbie. An orientation video for the area being mapped. I don't think many mappers know what buildings in remote areas of Nepal look like, or that villages are spread out over a big area, or that paths just end and do not connect in rural Nepal. A video with still and moving images I believe would be a big help. People could then see buildings are not square, built out of piles of rocks, and are often two stories tall with animals below and people above. Roofs are tin, or packed earth. If mappers could see this I think they would do a better job mapping. The video could also go over other details of the project. I'd be willing to help with this. Mentors I have connected with someone who is my mentor and checks my work. Think it would be great if every newbie could have a mentor, or a group of mentors to submit work to. Correcting other's work We all want to do a good job, but I don't think the training gives the most important information up front, i.e. make buildings the right size and square. I've just deleted and redrawn about 100 buildings that were not square nor did they fit on the image footprint. The mappers probably thought a rough polygon would let people know a building existed in that spot, but that's not what's needed. Same with paths that didn't conform to the image. How to do it right would be so helpful if included in the training up front. I don't think most people have the patience to go through slow training, or my DVD wouldn't have come with a Quick Start Guide! I'm a Newbie, and I recommend newbies be limited to drawing buildings and adding roads and paths. Experts should draw Residential Areas in rural areas and note forests and other features. I've corrected hundreds of buildings and paths. It's a waste of time and energy for the original mapper and the person correcting. We all want to do a good job or we wouldn't be spending hours mapping. Hope this helps. Cheers! Suzan On May 6, 2015, at 11:10 PM, Laura Camellini wrote: Hi all, as I suggested some days ago, I'd like to add these video training (while done) to a moodle course, And maybe be able to synch the moodle course training with the task manager permission to edit maps. Do you think this could help you with your tasks? Regards, LauraC 2015-05-07 3:16 GMT+02:00 Mhairi O'Hara <[hidden email]>: Dear Hotties, Please see the e-mail from Pete Masters from the Missing Maps project: We are thinking about putting together some video training resources for HOT mapping for newbies. No concrete plans yet, just getting some thoughts together. There's a shared doc here, where we're collecting ideas for the individual modules. Please feel free to add your thoughts and, even better, to encourage newbies to identify where there are most needs for training materials... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing Cheers, Pete -- Pete Masters Missing Maps Project Coordinator <a href="tel:%2B44%207921%20781%20518" value="+447921781518" target="_blank">+44 7921 781 518 missingmaps.org @pedrito1414 @theMissingMaps facebook.com/MissingMapsProject -- Mhairi O'Hara Technical Project Manager Email: [hidden email] Indonesian Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B62%20822%204701%201475" value="+6282247011475" target="_blank">+62 822 4701 1475 Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development _______________________________________________ HOT mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot _______________________________________________ HOT mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot _______________________________________________ HOT mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Suzan Reed
Althio and all.

I don't understand the shared document format, and don't find it an easy place to express these views, nor do I understand where I could add to it in a constructive way.  That's why I expressed my thoughts here, so that someone who understands the shared document format could incorporate these thoughts if they are useful.

I'm sure I"m not the only newbie who has the same exact feelings and thoughts. We all want to do a good job, we all want concise, well done training that gets us going quickly, we all want to contribute to a healthy, successful project that helps people. I hope leadership can find people and resources to make good training available.

So far, like Spring, I'm a bit confused. Are my hours of work going to do any good for the people who live in the hundreds of houses I've mapped? I hope so. Fingers crossed.

All that said, as a designer and writer expert in technical documenting, I would be happy to help with the production of a comprehensive set of training tools. Small group, hopefully? I'm also adept at working in a global environment, cross culturally. Use me if you wish.

Suzan

On May 7, 2015, at 12:44 AM, althio wrote:

> [...]

> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Masters
> Missing Maps Project Coordinator
> +44 7921 781 518
>
> missingmaps.org
>
> @pedrito1414
> @theMissingMaps
> facebook.com/MissingMapsProject
>
> --
> Mhairi O'Hara
> Technical Project Manager
> Email: [hidden email]
> Indonesian Mobile: +62 822 4701 1475
>
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Steve Bower
A few thoughts on the training materials, from a 2-week OSM user and long-time GIS user:

I have not yet found the single, systematically organized "portal" for access to all training materials & events, This would be great to have, and other training references could point back to it. The closest I have found is the HOT Training working group, "current sources and materials":

But, for example, that page does not point to "How to get started contributing to a HOT task":

So yes, Suzan, I think organization and production of comprehensive training material is a great idea - thank you. I think getting the top-down organization right is key. It seems this would be guided by the HOT Training working group (is there a general OSM training working group?).

Existing training materials on how to use OSM and the editors is fairly comprehensive, but somewhat scattered. Multiple sources overlap in the material they cover. An OSM/HOT training portal would help identify gaps and guide where new material (including new videos) is needed.

Training on how to interpret features from imagery is minimal. This could really be expanded, with examples of special cases, especially for poor-quality imagery where interpretation is difficult. Interpretation issues seem to dominate a lot of quality concerns and newbie questions.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect new mappers to be able to take "quick start" training and jump into contributing, at least for those who have not mapped before. For HOT response in particular, I think the expectation should be that mappers should expect to invest at least a day of on-line training before starting to contribute. Yes, that would turn away some mappers, but with the benefit of fewer quality issues. Yes, you can learn to trace buildings in far less time, but many mappers soon confront more complex tasks and a better training foundation would serve them well. (My opinion on this may evolve...)

Cheers,
Steve

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Suzan Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Masters
> Missing Maps Project Coordinator
>
> missingmaps.org
>
> @pedrito1414
> @theMissingMaps
> facebook.com/MissingMapsProject
>
> --
> Mhairi O'Hara
> Technical Project Manager
> Email: [hidden email]
> Indonesian Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B62%20822%204701%201475" value="+6282247011475">+62 822 4701 1475
>
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

john whelan-2
>I don't think it's reasonable to expect new mappers to be able to take "quick start" training and jump into contributing, at least for those who have not mapped before.

If we keep the tasks we ask them to do simple then I think its doable.  Mapping rectangular buildings is fairly simple and many projects have lots and lots of them.

Cheerio John

On 7 May 2015 at 11:06, Steve Bower <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Masters
> Missing Maps Project Coordinator
>
> missingmaps.org
>
> @pedrito1414
> @theMissingMaps
> facebook.com/MissingMapsProject
>
> --
> Mhairi O'Hara
> Technical Project Manager
> Email: [hidden email]
> Indonesian Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B62%20822%204701%201475" value="+6282247011475" target="_blank">+62 822 4701 1475
>
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

pierzen
OSM and HOT are volunteer organizations. And we are force to adapt rapidly to the reality of responses like for Nepal. People with experience to develop such material either through a wiki page, github or other are welcomed.

With the extent of this response, we organized various support groups to take care of Imagery, Validation, Imports, Routing, etc. We also have a HOT training group. People interested to contribute can write
to activation @ hotosm.org. We will follow your contact to the training group.
regard

Pierre

De : Steve Bower <[hidden email]>
À : Suzan Reed <[hidden email]>
Cc : HOT <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Jeudi 7 mai 2015 11h06
Objet : Re: [HOT] Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

> [...]

> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Masters
> Missing Maps Project Coordinator
> +44 7921 781 518
>
> missingmaps.org
>
> @pedrito1414
> @theMissingMaps
> facebook.com/MissingMapsProject
>
> --
> Mhairi O'Hara
> Technical Project Manager
> Email: [hidden email]
> Indonesian Mobile: +62 822 4701 1475
>
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Robert Banick
Hi All,

Excellent points and criticisms all around. The amount of feedback from new contributors during this response has been extremely welcome but also a bit humbling at times. We’ve got so much to do.

A few quick responses to key points.

1. OSM is 10 years old but for much of that time was a “by nerds, for nerds” project. Only in the past few years have the tools for conventional GIS usage really come into their own.

2. HOT itself has been around for a long time, but only took off 5 years ago after the earthquake in Haiti. Since then it’s been a slow but steady journey towards professionalism. We’ve spent a lot of our energy working with local communities and building up critical technical infrastructure like the Tasking Manager — which trust me, did not appear out of nowhere. Clearly it’s time to invest in training materials.

3. HOT’s contributions are used and makes a difference. I used to work for the Red Cross and we used OSM data from HOT *all the time*. In many cases it was the *only* data for disaster affected areas. Simply put, it was irreplaceable. And if sometimes it was not 100% accurate, that was OK. 90% accurate is better than 0% available.

4. You all bring up such good points and criticisms. Right now a lot of people are working themselves to death just responding, so please don’t take it personally if you don’t get immediate responses to your suggestions. Please stick around until we have time to follow up and work with you to make things better. It may take a month but it will be so valuable.

Cheers,
Robert

Sent from Mailbox

De : Steve Bower <[hidden email]>
À : Suzan Reed <[hidden email]>
Cc : HOT <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Masters
> Missing Maps Project Coordinator
> +44 7921 781 518
>
> missingmaps.org
>
> @pedrito1414
> @theMissingMaps
> facebook.com/MissingMapsProject
>
> --
> Mhairi O'Hara
> Technical Project Manager
> Email: [hidden email]
> Indonesian Mobile: +62 822 4701 1475
>
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Springfield, Suzan, all, special mention to Lars,

I do encourage you to share your suggestions and experience as
newcomers in the shared document where it could be put to much better
use than in the mailing list. You have the opportunity to get involved
at a very veeery early stage of this videos project. Of course the
document is pretty rough, this is collaborative and brainstorming.
Seize the day. Make your mark.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing

Another disclaimer: this initiative of 1-minute videos is led by
MissingMaps. I fully support it and try to foster it but I am not in
charge. People in charge may not read or answer in this mailing list.
If you want to give feedback and ideas on this: go and edit the shared
document. Let me be blunt at this point: in the scope of this video
project, when pointed to an external document, any comment left in the
mailing list is 100 times less useful and 1000 times more likely to be
forgotten.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing

As everything in open data and open source, don't be afraid of making
some errors.
Your input will be reviewed and modified by others, and everything
will improve with time and contributions.

> The instructional materials that do exist also seem to be scattered among many sites and documents; I have given up trying to keep track.

That statement applies to all fields of knowledge that I know of.

- althio

wall of links:

active contributor in the Training Working Group <[hidden email]>
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Training

member of the LearnOSM team <[hidden email]>
http://learnosm.org/en/beginner/

HOT is a partner of MSF-UK, British Red Cross and American Red Cross
with MissingMaps
http://www.missingmaps.org/
http://www.msf.org.uk/missing-maps-project
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Missing_Maps_Project

Fresh from today: http://www.msf.org.uk/msf-scientific-day-catch-up
Session 1:  Keynote speech & unchartered territory: mapping for
humanitarian responses

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Springfield Harrison
Hello althio,

         I did make quite a few additions to the shared document,
that is a good method for consolidating ideas in one place.

         I am a bit nervous about the 1 min. concept.  1 min. is not
very long, most topics are going to require a bit more than
that.  Surely, we can expect the volunteer's attention span to
stretch to perhaps three or 5 min.   If the videos are only 1 min.
long, hundreds will be required to cover the whole realm.  Cataloging
them will be a major task and who will want to wade through scores of
video listings to find a paltry 1 min. dissertation?

                 Thanks, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring

At 07-05-2015 14:18 Thursday, althio wrote:

>Springfield, Suzan, all, special mention to Lars, I do encourage you
>to share your suggestions and experience as newcomers in the shared
>document where it could be put to much better use than in the
>mailing list. You have the opportunity to get involved at a very
>veeery early stage of this videos project. Of course the document is
>pretty rough, this is collaborative and brainstorming. Seize the
>day. Make your mark.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>Another disclaimer: this initiative of 1-minute videos is led by
>MissingMaps. I fully support it and try to foster it but I am not in
>charge. People in charge may not read or answer in this mailing
>list. If you want to give feedback and ideas on this: go and edit
>the shared document. Let me be blunt at this point: in the scope of
>this video project, when pointed to an external document, any
>comment left in the mailing list is 100 times less useful and 1000
>times more likely to be forgotten.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>As everything in open data and open source, don't be afraid of
>making some errors. Your input will be reviewed and modified by
>others, and everything will improve with time and contributions. >
>The instructional materials that do exist also seem to be scattered
>among many sites and documents; I have given up trying to keep
>track. That statement applies to all fields of knowledge that I know
>of. - althio wall of links: active contributor in the Training
>Working Group <[hidden email]>
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Training
>member of the LearnOSM team <[hidden email]>
>http://learnosm.org/en/beginner/ HOT is a partner of MSF-UK, British
>Red Cross and American Red Cross with MissingMaps
>http://www.missingmaps.org/
>http://www.msf.org.uk/missing-maps-project
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Missing_Maps_Project Fresh from
>today: http://www.msf.org.uk/msf-scientific-day-catch-up Session 1:
>Keynote speech & unchartered territory: mapping for humanitarian
>mailing list [hidden email]
>https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Springfield Harrison
Thanks Robert, for a 10-year-old organization, some things still seem to be in the early stages (training?).  I'm new here so maybe this isn't entirely accurate.

                 Thanks, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring

—

De : Steve Bower <[hidden email]>
À : Suzan Reed <[hidden email]>
Cc : HOT <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Jeudi 7 mai 2015 11h06

A few thoughts on the training materials, from a 2-week OSM user and long-time GIS user:

I have not yet found the single, systematically organized "portal" for access to all training materials & events, This would be great to have, and other training references could point back to it. The closest I have found is the HOT Training working group, "current sources and materials":
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Training#Current_Sources_.26_Materials

But, for example, that page does not point to "How to get started contributing to a HOT task":
https://gist.github.com/meetar/b9929dfec129d1d7f5f2

So yes, Suzan, I think organization and production of comprehensive training material is a great idea - thank you. I think getting the top-down organization right is key. It seems this would be guided by the HOT Training working group (is there a general OSM training working group?).

Existing training materials on how to use OSM and the editors is fairly comprehensive, but somewhat scattered. Multiple sources overlap in the material they cover. An OSM/HOT training portal would help identify gaps and guide where new material (including new videos) is needed.

Training on how to interpret features from imagery is minimal. This could really be expanded, with examples of special cases, especially for poor-quality imagery where interpretation is difficult. Interpretation issues seem to dominate a lot of quality concerns and newbie questions.Â

> [...]

> for training materials...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mo82sCLLnP30SsgRO1VIpGxezWcQhAQ_HxEpCEPh89o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Masters
> Missing Maps Project Coordinator
> +44 7921 781 518
>
> missingmaps.org
>
> @pedrito1414
> @theMissingMaps
> facebook.com/MissingMapsProject
>
> --
> Mhairi O'Hara
> Technical Project Manager
> Email: [hidden email]
> Indonesian Mobile: +62 822 4701 1475
>
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Martin Noblecourt
Dear all,

I also added a few comments, there are some really great ideas there.

However in the meantime, the MapGive videos are already a great resource. One of our volunteers have started to translate the transcript of the video "Learn How to Map in OpenStreetMap" in French. Do you know who we should get in touch with to have it integrated as subtitles on the video (it's already in Italian so it must be possible) ? And if it'd be possible to get the subtitle file in English, to facilitate the timing?

Thanks & best regards.

--
Martin Noblecourt

[hidden email] | Bureau/Office: +33 (0)4 79 26 28 82 | Skype: martin.noblecourt
CartONG - Mapping and information management for humanitarian organizations | Cartographie et gestion de l'information pour les organisations humanitaires

Re: Missing Maps Training Video Suggestions

Imre Samu
>One of our volunteers have started to translate the transcript
> of the video "Learn How to Map in OpenStreetMap" in French.

Translation & Video

It is very easy to extract the translated text of iD Editor tutorial.
Maybe we can reuse them,

    example:
buildings__fr: "# Bâtiments OpenStreetMap est la plus grande base de données au monde sur le bâti. Vous pouvez améliorer cette base de données. ### Sélection Vous pouvez sélectionner un bâtiment en cliquant sur son contour. Le bâtiment sera ainsi surligné, une boîte à outils apparaîtra, ainsi qu'un panneau contenant les informations sur le bâtiment. ### Correction Parfois, un bâtiment est mal placé ou possède des informations incorrectes. Pour déplacer un bâtiment dans son intégralité, sélectionnez-le, puis cliquez sur l'outil "Déplacer". Déplacez ensuite la souris, puis cliquez lorsque le bâtiment est placé correctement. Pour corriger la forme d'un bâtiment, glissez-déposez les points du contour du bâtiment. ### Création L'une des problématiques concernant les bâtiments est qu'ils peuvent être représentés à la fois par un point ou par un polygone. La règle d'or est de _dessiner les bâtiments avec des polygone dès que c'est possible_, et de cartographier les entreprises, équipements, adresses, et tout ce qui ne dépend pas directement de la construction comme des points placés au sein de la forme du bâtiment. Dessinez un bâtiment en cliquant sur le bouton "Polygone" en haut à gauche de l'interface, ajoutez des points en cliquant sur la carte et terminez la forme en cliquant sur le premier point, ou en appuyant sur la touche "Entrée" de votre clavier. ### Suppression Si un bâtiment dessiné est inexistant (par exemple s'il n'existe pas sur l'image satellite et que vous avez vérifié sur place que ce n'était pas une construction récente), vous pouvez le supprimer. Attention avant de supprimer un élément ; tout le monde peut constater que vous l'avez supprimé, et il peut s'agir d'un élément plus récent que l'image satellite. Vous pouvez supprimer un bâtiment en le sélectionnant, puis en cliquant sur l'icône représentant une poubelle, ou en appuyant sur la touche "Suppr" de votre clavier. "

buildings__en: "# Buildings OpenStreetMap is the world's largest database of buildings. You can create and improve this database. ### Selecting You can select a building by clicking on its border. This will highlight the building and open a small tools menu and a sidebar showing more information about the building. ### Modifying Sometimes buildings are incorrectly placed or have incorrect tags. To move an entire building, select it, then click the 'Move' tool. Move your mouse to shift the building, and click when it's correctly placed. To fix the specific shape of a building, click and drag the nodes that form its border into better places. ### Creating One of the main questions around adding buildings to the map is that OpenStreetMap records buildings both as shapes and points. The rule of thumb is to _map a building as a shape whenever possible_, and map companies, homes, amenities, and other things that operate out of buildings as points placed within the building shape. Start drawing a building as a shape by clicking the 'Area' button in the top left of the interface, and end it either by pressing 'Return' on your keyboard or clicking on the first node drawn to close the shape. ### Deleting If a building is entirely incorrect - you can see that it doesn't exist in satellite imagery and ideally have confirmed locally that it's not present - you can delete it, which removes it from the map. Be cautious when deleting features - like any other edit, the results are seen by everyone and satellite imagery is often out of date, so the building could simply be newly built. You can delete a building by clicking on it to select it, then clicking the trash can icon or pressing the 'Delete' key. "

Regards,
 Imre

Dear all,

I also added a few comments, there are some really great ideas there.

However in the meantime, the MapGive videos are already a great resource. One of our volunteers have started to translate the transcript of the video "Learn How to Map in OpenStreetMap" in French. Do you know who we should get in touch with to have it integrated as subtitles on the video (it's already in Italian so it must be possible) ? And if it'd be possible to get the subtitle file in English, to facilitate the timing?

Thanks & best regards.

--
Martin Noblecourt

[hidden email] | Bureau/Office: <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%294%2079%2026%2028%2082" value="+33479262882" target="_blank">+33 (0)4 79 26 28 82 | Skype: martin.noblecourt