Mkushi province and Open Location Code

Bjoern Hassler-2
Dear friends,

we're supporting government health workers in Mkushi province (Zambia), and we're hoping to use plus codes for better identification of households in need of support. Plus codes work in OSMAnd and Maps.Me (8 digit codes only it  seems, unless anybody has info on this). However, you cannot search for them in OSM.org, which makes for an inconsistent user experience. I therefore put this proposal together https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_Open_Location_Code. It's primarily about plus codes support in the search, but it would be nice to be able to get plus codes out of OSM as well (e.g. under what's here or show address).

Tom Hughes was kind enough to put up a trial, so people can test this out, see e.g.
and obviously search for your own codes. This is only a trial and this only supports long codes (not short codes).

Let me know what you think, and do contribute questions, concerns and suggestions to the above wiki page. There have been concerns raised that discussion around such new features could be very self-selecting, so if you know of others who may have positive and particularly critical views, please do forward this message.

Bjoern

Fwd: Mkushi province and Open Location Code

Bjoern Hassler
Dear friends,

we're supporting government health workers in Mkushi province (Zambia), and we're hoping to use plus codes for better identification of households in particular need of support. Plus codes work in OSMAnd and Maps.Me (8 digit codes only it  seems, unless anybody has info on this?). However, you cannot search for them in OSM.org, which makes for an inconsistent user experience. I therefore put this proposal together https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_Open_Location_Code. It's primarily about plus codes support in the search, but it would be nice to be able to get plus codes out of OSM as well (e.g. under what's here or show address).

Tom Hughes was kind enough to put up a trial, so people can test this out, see e.g.
and obviously search for your own codes. This is only a trial and this only supports long codes (not short codes).

Let me know what you think, and do contribute questions, concerns and suggestions to the above wiki page. There have been concerns raised that discussion around such new features could be very self-selecting, so if you know of others who may have positive and particularly critical views, please do forward this message. In this discussions, please remember  "OSM is powered by its Community. Engage positively with the Community, be a good and respectful neighbour and assume good intent." (https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Mission_Statement)

Bjoern