Mobile antenna?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mobile antenna?

Xan-3
Hi,

Is there any way for tagging a mobile/cellular antenna?

Thanks in advance,
Xan.

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

Craig Wallace
On 28/12/2009 12:13, Xan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way for tagging a mobile/cellular antenna?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Xan.

ma_made=tower + tower:type=communication
More details here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:man_made%3Dtower
(yes, it's listed as a proposed feature, but I think its already well used)

You can also tag the details of the actual transponders attached to the
tower:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Communications_Transponder


Craig

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

Xan-3
En/na Craig Wallace ha escrit:

> On 28/12/2009 12:13, Xan wrote:
>  
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any way for tagging a mobile/cellular antenna?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Xan.
>>    
>
> ma_made=tower + tower:type=communication
> More details here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:man_made%3Dtower
> (yes, it's listed as a proposed feature, but I think its already well used)
>
> You can also tag the details of the actual transponders attached to the
> tower:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Communications_Transponder
>
>
> Craig
>
> _________
Thanks a lot,
Xan.

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

James Ewen
In reply to this post by Xan-3
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way for tagging a mobile/cellular antenna?

I hope you're not talking about a mobile antenna, as in one that is
able to be moved... that's a never ending job to map, especially when
it is in motion. I have a portable repeater/tower which is mounted on
a trailer, but I wouldn't think about mapping its location... that
would be about as useful as mapping the location of the vehicles on
the road.

James
VE6SRV

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

Xan-3
En/na James Ewen ha escrit:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>> Is there any way for tagging a mobile/cellular antenna?
>>    
>
> I hope you're not talking about a mobile antenna, as in one that is
> able to be moved... that's a never ending job to map, especially when
> it is in motion. I have a portable repeater/tower which is mounted on
> a trailer, but I wouldn't think about mapping its location... that
> would be about as useful as mapping the location of the vehicles on
> the road.
>
> James
> VE6SRV
>
>  
No. I mean cellular antenna. In Spain a cellular phone is a mobile phone ;-)

Xan.
> _______________________________________________
> newbies mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
>  


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

James Ewen
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:


> No. I mean cellular antenna. In Spain a cellular phone is a mobile phone ;-)

Same here in North America... however a cellular tower is not usually
mobile, unless a tornado blows through and uproots it.

There are however many COWs (Cellular On Wheels) around that cellular
companies use as temporary replacement cellular site antennas when
repairs or replacement of towers takes place.

Mapping of permanent communications infrastructure is taking place,
and not only for cellular radio, but all other types of radio
communication structures. Mapping the mobile infrastructure would be
an exercise if futility!

I guess I'm going down that slippery slope... I may not be an
underground tunnel expert, but I play with radio antenna support
structures for a living! 8)

James
VE6SRV

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

SomeoneElse
James Ewen wrote:
> There are however many COWs (Cellular On Wheels) around that cellular
> companies use as temporary replacement cellular site antennas when
> repairs or replacement of towers takes place.

There's a similar concept in the UK:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.05098&lon=-0.79424&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF

(or perhaps not)

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

Dave F.
Someoneelse wrote:

> James Ewen wrote:
>  
>> There are however many COWs (Cellular On Wheels) around that cellular
>> companies use as temporary replacement cellular site antennas when
>> repairs or replacement of towers takes place.
>>    
>
> There's a similar concept in the UK:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.05098&lon=-0.79424&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
>
> (or perhaps not)

I think you're getting confused.

Those are /moo/biles.

...I'll get my coat.

Dave F.

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile antenna?

Xan-3
In reply to this post by James Ewen
En/na James Ewen ha escrit:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Xan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>  
>> No. I mean cellular antenna. In Spain a cellular phone is a mobile phone ;-)
>>    
>
> Same here in North America... however a cellular tower is not usually
> mobile, unless a tornado blows through and uproots it.
I feel that you are in vacation ;-)
Happy new year,

Xan.

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies