More imagery

Great Britain mailing list

Would OSM benefit from another imagery source? Getmapping have tentatively offered theirs. See: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/edina-geoforum-2019/
and get back to me via any of the normal methods.

Cheers
Steve Chilton (@steev8)

Re: More imagery

Dan Stowell
Yes, I'm sure it would. Are there any specific nicenesses of these aerials - eg hi red, recent, different time of day?

I'm currently having discussions about mapping solar panels in the UK. Both manually and semi automatically. (Don't worry, no weird imports!) Although existing imagery might be fine for this, the more the merrier...

Best
Dan

--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

Re: More imagery

Dan S

Op woensdag 6 maart 2019 schreef Dan Stowell <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, I'm sure it would. Are there any specific nicenesses of these aerials - eg hi red, recent, different time of day?
>
> I'm currently having discussions about mapping solar panels in the UK. Both manually and semi automatically. (Don't worry, no weird imports!) Although existing imagery might be fine for this, the more the merrier...
>
> Best
> Dan
>
> Op woensdag 6 maart 2019 schreef chilton steve via Talk-GB <[hidden email]>:
>> Would OSM benefit from another imagery source? Getmapping have tentatively offered theirs. See: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/edina-geoforum-2019/
>> and get back to me via any of the normal methods.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Steve Chilton (@steev8)
>
> --
> http://www.mcld.co.uk

Re: More imagery

Rob Nickerson
Hi Steve,

>Would OSM benefit from another imagery source? Getmapping have tentatively offered theirs. See: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/edina-geoforum-2019/ and get back to me via any of the normal methods.
>
>Cheers
>Steve Chilton (@steev8)

It's certainly worth exploring and I think this is something that OSM UK company can assist with if they prefer to discuss with a registered company rather than an individual (could still be you, just on behalf of, and with the support of OSM UK if that helps with discussions).

What are the next steps? I guess confirming it is unique content is a good step - rather than a copy of Digital Globe imagery already available to us for example. Do you want to start an email discussion with them cc'ing [hidden email] in and we can arrange a call / meeting with them if that helps.

P.S. Are we speaking UK or global?

Best regards,
Rob

Re: More imagery

Great Britain mailing list

Dan,

Thanks for response. Don't know specifics at the moment. That is part of the discussion that needs to take place.

Cheers

Steve

--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

Re: More imagery

Great Britain mailing list

Rob,

Thanks for the response.

In fact I would prefer to hand over to OSMUK or some more formal part of the project, particularly if they have experience of such discussions/negotiations.

I don't know what the level of content is. They market themselves as leading provider in UK so I don't think global.

I will email OSMUK first before going to the company, just to see how the land lies (pun intended!).

Cheers

Steve

On 06 March 2019 at 19:54 Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Steve,

>Would OSM benefit from another imagery source? Getmapping have tentatively offered theirs. See: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/edina-geoforum-2019/ and get back to me via any of the normal methods.
>
>Cheers
>Steve Chilton (@steev8)

It's certainly worth exploring and I think this is something that OSM UK company can assist with if they prefer to discuss with a registered company rather than an individual (could still be you, just on behalf of, and with the support of OSM UK if that helps with discussions).

What are the next steps? I guess confirming it is unique content is a good step - rather than a copy of Digital Globe imagery already available to us for example. Do you want to start an email discussion with them cc'ing [hidden email] in and we can arrange a call / meeting with them if that helps.

P.S. Are we speaking UK or global?

Best regards,
Rob

Re: More imagery

Rob Nickerson
Sounds good. Although it is worth noting that OSM UK is us - i.e. the OpenStreetMap community in the UK. Yes it does happen to be a registered company which helps in some conversations (some companies like to speak with other companies) but to get things moving fastest we welcome help from fellow OSMers. If not then it will fall to the OSM UK board, of which there are 5 people (I am one) with limited volunteer time.

To get things started I have written to OSMF's advisory board to see if any of the local groups or organisations that form part of that have experience with getmapping imagery. If you can pass contact details from getmapping then we can start enquiries.

P.S. If anyone reading this wants to jump in and help, please let me know.

With best regards,
Rob

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 21:14, chilton steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rob,

Thanks for the response.

In fact I would prefer to hand over to OSMUK or some more formal part of the project, particularly if they have experience of such discussions/negotiations.

I don't know what the level of content is. They market themselves as leading provider in UK so I don't think global.

I will email OSMUK first before going to the company, just to see how the land lies (pun intended!).

Cheers

Steve

On 06 March 2019 at 19:54 Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Steve,

>Would OSM benefit from another imagery source? Getmapping have tentatively offered theirs. See: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/edina-geoforum-2019/ and get back to me via any of the normal methods.
>
>Cheers
>Steve Chilton (@steev8)

It's certainly worth exploring and I think this is something that OSM UK company can assist with if they prefer to discuss with a registered company rather than an individual (could still be you, just on behalf of, and with the support of OSM UK if that helps with discussions).

What are the next steps? I guess confirming it is unique content is a good step - rather than a copy of Digital Globe imagery already available to us for example. Do you want to start an email discussion with them cc'ing [hidden email] in and we can arrange a call / meeting with them if that helps.

P.S. Are we speaking UK or global?

Best regards,
Rob

Re: More imagery

Jez Nicholson
As an aside: Dan S. may be interested in the list of (ground mounted) solar farms that I am building up atĀ https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_the_United_Kingdom#List_of_under_construction_and_operational_UK_Ground_Mounted_Solar_Farms and also talking to the OpenInfraMap teamĀ https://openinframap.org/about.html

- Jez

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:12 PM Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds good. Although it is worth noting that OSM UK is us - i.e. the OpenStreetMap community in the UK. Yes it does happen to be a registered company which helps in some conversations (some companies like to speak with other companies) but to get things moving fastest we welcome help from fellow OSMers. If not then it will fall to the OSM UK board, of which there are 5 people (I am one) with limited volunteer time.

To get things started I have written to OSMF's advisory board to see if any of the local groups or organisations that form part of that have experience with getmapping imagery. If you can pass contact details from getmapping then we can start enquiries.

P.S. If anyone reading this wants to jump in and help, please let me know.

With best regards,
Rob

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 21:14, chilton steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rob,

Thanks for the response.

In fact I would prefer to hand over to OSMUK or some more formal part of the project, particularly if they have experience of such discussions/negotiations.

I don't know what the level of content is. They market themselves as leading provider in UK so I don't think global.

I will email OSMUK first before going to the company, just to see how the land lies (pun intended!).

Cheers

Steve

On 06 March 2019 at 19:54 Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Steve,

>Would OSM benefit from another imagery source? Getmapping have tentatively offered theirs. See: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/edina-geoforum-2019/ and get back to me via any of the normal methods.
>
>Cheers
>Steve Chilton (@steev8)

It's certainly worth exploring and I think this is something that OSM UK company can assist with if they prefer to discuss with a registered company rather than an individual (could still be you, just on behalf of, and with the support of OSM UK if that helps with discussions).

What are the next steps? I guess confirming it is unique content is a good step - rather than a copy of Digital Globe imagery already available to us for example. Do you want to start an email discussion with them cc'ing [hidden email] in and we can arrange a call / meeting with them if that helps.

P.S. Are we speaking UK or global?

Best regards,
Rob

Re: More imagery

Marc Gemis
Even before the Belgian local chapter was formed, some community
member(s) wrote to AIV (Flemish agency for information) [1] whether we
could use their aerial imagery for tracing. We got that permission.
Similar requests were made to the other regions in Belgium. It does
not really matter whether there is a registered company or not. The
request should outline what you plan to do (tracing) and where the
data will be used.
I was not involved in the request, but some of our current board
members were (if I recall it correctly)

regards

m.

[1] https://overheid.vlaanderen.be/informatie-vlaanderen

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:13 PM Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds good. Although it is worth noting that OSM UK is us - i.e. the OpenStreetMap community in the UK. Yes it does happen to be a registered company which helps in some conversations (some companies like to speak with other companies) but to get things moving fastest we welcome help from fellow OSMers. If not then it will fall to the OSM UK board, of which there are 5 people (I am one) with limited volunteer time.
>
> To get things started I have written to OSMF's advisory board to see if any of the local groups or organisations that form part of that have experience with getmapping imagery. If you can pass contact details from getmapping then we can start enquiries.
>
> P.S. If anyone reading this wants to jump in and help, please let me know.
>
> With best regards,
> Rob
>

> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 21:14, chilton steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Rob,
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> In fact I would prefer to hand over to OSMUK or some more formal part of the project, particularly if they have experience of such discussions/negotiations.
>>
>> I don't know what the level of content is. They market themselves as leading provider in UK so I don't think global.
>>
>> I will email OSMUK first before going to the company, just to see how the land lies (pun intended!).
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On 06 March 2019 at 19:54 Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> >Would OSM benefit from another imagery source? Getmapping have tentatively offered theirs. See: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/edina-geoforum-2019/ and get back to me via any of the normal methods.
>> >
>> >Cheers
>> >Steve Chilton (@steev8)
>>
>> It's certainly worth exploring and I think this is something that OSM UK company can assist with if they prefer to discuss with a registered company rather than an individual (could still be you, just on behalf of, and with the support of OSM UK if that helps with discussions).
>>
>> What are the next steps? I guess confirming it is unique content is a good step - rather than a copy of Digital Globe imagery already available to us for example. Do you want to start an email discussion with them cc'ing [hidden email] in and we can arrange a call / meeting with them if that helps.
>>
>> P.S. Are we speaking UK or global?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Rob

Re: More imagery

Philip Barnes
Shropshire Council use GetMapping on their PROW map. It is very clear and recent.

I would find it very useful as a mapping source.

Phil (trigpoint)

On Thursday, 7 March 2019, Marc Gemis wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I will email OSMUK first before going to the company, just to see how the land lies (pun intended!).
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Steve
> >>
> >> On 06 March 2019 at 19:54 Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Steve,

> >> It's certainly worth exploring and I think this is something that OSM UK company can assist with if they prefer to discuss with a registered company rather than an individual (could still be you, just on behalf of, and with the support of OSM UK if that helps with discussions).
> >>
> >> What are the next steps? I guess confirming it is unique content is a good step - rather than a copy of Digital Globe imagery already available to us for example. Do you want to start an email discussion with them cc'ing [hidden email] in and we can arrange a call / meeting with them if that helps.

Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: More imagery

Great Britain mailing list

All,

Following on from Rob's email the contact person for Getmapping is: Jake Lauder - [hidden email]

Web: www.getmapping.com Address: Virginia Villas, High Street, Hartley Wintney, RG27 8NW

If making contact I suggest you mention the discussion that he and Steve Chilton had recently at the GeoForum2019 meeting at Lancaster University.

Also stating the obvious: The request should outline what OSM plan to do (tracing) and where the data will be used.

Cheers

Steve Chilton (Steev8)