More questions about map cleanup

Charlotte Wolter
Hello again,

        Thanks for the info on where to find the cleanup page.
        Now, as I begin to work on West LA using the OSM Inspector, I have a couple more questions.
        --If a way is marked red, do I have to delete it and redraw it altogether? (After all most of these began as TIGER data)
        --If a way is marked with orange, is it enough just to change it to a different type of road (such as primary), then save it, then change it back and save it again? Or do I have to do something more elaborate?
        --Ditto for points

Best,

Charlotte

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[hidden email]
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.

Re: More questions about map cleanup

Clifford Snow

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Charlotte Wolter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello again,

        Thanks for the info on where to find the cleanup page.
        Now, as I begin to work on West LA using the OSM Inspector, I have a couple more questions.
        --If a way is marked red, do I have to delete it and redraw it altogether? (After all most of these began as TIGER data)
        --If a way is marked with orange, is it enough just to change it to a different type of road (such as primary), then save it, then change it back and save it again? Or do I have to do something more elaborate?
        --Ditto for points

Best,

Charlotte

My experience is that you need to delete the way.  Just changing it doesn't change the underlying licensing problem.  Also you can not delete a section and then extend another bad license segment.  It just brings the original licensing problem with it.  So delete and recreate.  But sure to have access to good information for the way you are deleting.  I've been verifying against TIGER data.  Not importing, just to get the way name.  And since I'm working in pretty much in my city, I know what types of streets there are.  (Primary, residential, etc.)

Good luck and have fun,
Clifford

Re: More questions about map cleanup

SomeoneElse
Charlotte Wolter wrote:
        Now, as I begin to work on West LA using the OSM Inspector, I have a couple more questions.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the licence change "redaction bot" is likely to run Real Soon Now, so you may find that you end up "mapping" West LA rather than "remapping" it.  The current status is, I believe, here:

http://blog.osmfoundation.org/

(although I'd expect that that blog will tend to lag a little behind what's actually happening)

Cheers,
Andy

Re: More questions about map cleanup

Charlotte Wolter
Clifford,

        Thanks for your suggestions.
        But, one question. I never upload anything. I use only Potlatch 2. So, if I delete a bad way, it's gone. No TIGER data remains. So how do I verify against TIGER data? (Luckily I'm mostly deleting parts of ways. Some streets in LA go on for miles, so few names are lost. But a few would be.)

Charlotte

At 06:14 PM 4/9/2012, you wrote:

[...]

Andy,

        Thanks for your suggestions.
        Mapping or remapping: It doesn't matter to me as long as there remains a guide, such as OSM Inspector, to let me know what I should be working on (rather than having to discover it myself).
        I personally think the change and the deletion of ways has been handled too abruptly, and the tools to manage the transition appeared too late. Let's hope these tools won't disappear now along with the streets.
        Also, is OSM Inspector ever updated? I have deleted and redrawn several ways over the last few days, but no change appears in OSM Inspector. When is it updated?
        And, also, why is there no wiki for all these questions?
        And, why don't we just replace deleted streets with the original TIGER data?

Charlotte

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Charlotte Wolter <[hidden email]> wrote:

        Thanks for your suggestions.
        But, one question. I never upload anything. I use only Potlatch 2. So, if I delete a bad way, it's gone. No TIGER data remains. So how do I verify against TIGER data? (Luckily I'm mostly deleting parts of ways. Some streets in LA go on for miles, so few names are lost. But a few would be.)

I use TIGER data with josm.  The process of converting the TIGER shapefiles into osm is covered on the wiki.  However, since I don't think we have much time left before the ways are deleted you might look into other sources.  Here in Seattle, I believe  the  county has a map that you can find county wide information.  Our city has one, but it is based on Bing (of course Seattle would choose Bing.)  I wonder if there is something similar in LA?  You might search in the county web sites.  Be sure it isn't copyright material.

Good luck,
Clifford