Most insanely dissected street ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Most insanely dissected street ?

Nick Hocking
Hi Franc
 
In Canberra we have a good example of the reverse problem - the not-yet-put-together street. (Horse Park Drive).
It's been in two well seperated bits for years now and will be so for a couple more. And yes being on the wrong bit can be a big issue.
 
Cheers
Nick
 
 

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

Franc Carter
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Franc
>
> In Canberra we have a good example of the reverse problem - the
> not-yet-put-together street. (Horse Park Drive).
> It's been in two well seperated bits for years now and will be so for a
> couple more. And yes being on the wrong bit can be a big issue.

Will the numbering clash when they get joined ?

>
> Cheers
> Nick
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
>



--
Franc

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

Nick Hocking
That's a good question. I've just had a look at the ACTMAPI site that used to have house/block numbers, but they've dissappeared.
I'l keep searching..........
 
Nick

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Franc Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Franc
>
> In Canberra we have a good example of the reverse problem - the
> not-yet-put-together street. (Horse Park Drive).
> It's been in two well seperated bits for years now and will be so for a
> couple more. And yes being on the wrong bit can be a big issue.

Will the numbering clash when they get joined ?

>
> Cheers
> Nick
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
>



--
Franc


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

Nick Hocking
In reply to this post by Franc Carter
Ah-ha. I think there is a simple answer. Despite being a really long road/s I don't think anyone actually lives on it. There's always space between it and the houses, so I'm not sure there will ever be any "33 Horse Park Drive"
 
Cheers
Nick
 
PS - ACTMAPI site must be under change, even the road names have gone missing :-(

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Franc Carter <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Franc
>
> In Canberra we have a good example of the reverse problem - the
> not-yet-put-together street. (Horse Park Drive).
> It's been in two well seperated bits for years now and will be so for a
> couple more. And yes being on the wrong bit can be a big issue.

Will the numbering clash when they get joined ?

>
> Cheers
> Nick
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
>



--
Franc


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

Franc Carter
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah-ha. I think there is a simple answer. Despite being a really long road/s
> I don't think anyone actually lives on it. There's always space between it
> and the houses, so I'm not sure there will ever be any "33 Horse Park Drive"

Ahh yes - I've come across this before when hunting for house numbers
- very confusing when it's not obvious that the houses are nunbered on
a different street

cheers

>
> Cheers
> Nick
>
> PS - ACTMAPI site must be under change, even the road names have gone
> missing :-(
>
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Franc Carter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Franc
>> >
>> > In Canberra we have a good example of the reverse problem - the
>> > not-yet-put-together street. (Horse Park Drive).
>> > It's been in two well seperated bits for years now and will be so for a
>> > couple more. And yes being on the wrong bit can be a big issue.
>>
>> Will the numbering clash when they get joined ?
>>
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Nick
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Talk-au mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Franc
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
>



--
Franc

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

John Berkers
In reply to this post by Nick Hocking
Hi,

We've got a few roads around here (Narre Warren South/Lynbrook) that are
split and not yet joined.  One such road is Glasscocks Road, which runs
from Dandenong Frankston Road, through through Lynbrook and Narre Warren
South to Clyde Road in Berwick.  It is currently in three parts, and you
can visualise where it is planned to go in future.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-38.0687&lon=145.2707&zoom=14&layers=M

It looks like there are a few hold-out land owners that have not yet sold
their properties for redevelopment, but as soon as they do, the road will
get filled in.

I'm not sure about property numbering at this point.  There are portions
of Glasscocks Road with houses on, some portions without.

Regards,

> Ah-ha. I think there is a simple answer. Despite being a really long
> road/s
> I don't think anyone actually lives on it. There's always space between it
> and the houses, so I'm not sure there will ever be any "33 Horse Park
> Drive"
>
> Cheers
> Nick
>
> PS - ACTMAPI site must be under change, even the road names have gone
> missing :-(
>
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Franc Carter
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Franc
>> >
>> > In Canberra we have a good example of the reverse problem - the
>> > not-yet-put-together street. (Horse Park Drive).
>> > It's been in two well seperated bits for years now and will be so for
>> a
>> > couple more. And yes being on the wrong bit can be a big issue.
>>
>> Will the numbering clash when they get joined ?
>>
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Nick
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Talk-au mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Franc
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>


--
John Berkers


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Liz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

Liz
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:44:12 +1000 (EST)
"John Berkers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've got a few roads around here (Narre Warren South/Lynbrook) that
> are split and not yet joined.  One such road is Glasscocks Road,
> which runs from Dandenong Frankston Road, through through Lynbrook
> and Narre Warren South to Clyde Road in Berwick.  It is currently in
> three parts, and you can visualise where it is planned to go in
> future.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-38.0687&lon=145.2707&zoom=14&layers=M
>
> It looks like there are a few hold-out land owners that have not yet
> sold their properties for redevelopment, but as soon as they do, the
> road will get filled in.
>
> I'm not sure about property numbering at this point.  There are
> portions of Glasscocks Road with houses on, some portions without.
>
> Regards,
>

when the Northern Distributor was built in Wollongong, it carved
through a number of streets.
I think Cross Street Corrimal has a number of pieces now unconnected.

For numbering absurdity - the Sturt Highway wins.
Numbers out of Adelaide increase to about 231000 after Paringa. We took
photos at about 217000.
In Vic I didn't note a house number from the driver's seat.
At Gol Gol the numbers are about 8000 and decrease until Euston, except
in each town they start again at 1 and 2 for each side of the road.
No numbers Euston to Balranald, Hay and Darlington Point.
Houses in Balranald and Hay are numbered

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

Franc Carter
[snip]

>
> when the Northern Distributor was built in Wollongong, it carved
> through a number of streets.
> I think Cross Street Corrimal has a number of pieces now unconnected.
>
> For numbering absurdity - the Sturt Highway wins.
> Numbers out of Adelaide increase to about 231000 after Paringa. We took
> photos at about 217000.

I'm actually a fan of this approach - i.e if you know which direction
the numbers are going you just go that way until you find the one you
want.

> In Vic I didn't note a house number from the driver's seat.
> At Gol Gol the numbers are about 8000 and decrease until Euston, except
> in each town they start again at 1 and 2 for each side of the road.

This is the one frustrates the daylights out of me! Just way too hard
to know if you are in the right place. Although doing it in towns is
not as bad as doing it along Parramata road, unless they won't to
paint pink dotted lines on the road for when you change suburbs ;-)

cheers

> No numbers Euston to Balranald, Hay and Darlington Point.
> Houses in Balranald and Hay are numbered
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>



--
Franc

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most insanely dissected street ?

Stephen Hope
In reply to this post by Nick Hocking
In SE Brisbane, Mt Cotton Road comes from the south, veers west to a
roundabout, then goes both north and west from there.  The first time
I went to an address there, I went back and forth along two of the
legs not finding it, because one of the legs has a short piece called
something else in it, so at the roundabout you don't realise all three
options go to different parts of the same road.  In fact, looking at
the OSM map, I think it's wrong - unless it's changed recently.  I'll
have to have a look next time I'm over in that part of town (which
could be a while).


Stephen


On 13 June 2011 19:37, Nick Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Franc
>
> In Canberra we have a good example of the reverse problem - the
> not-yet-put-together street. (Horse Park Drive).
> It's been in two well seperated bits for years now and will be so for a
> couple more. And yes being on the wrong bit can be a big issue.
>
> Cheers
> Nick
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-au mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
>
>

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au