Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Sebastian Arcus
No sure if this is the right place to ask this questions. I've added a
few motels to OSM recently. The icons show up ok on the OSM website -
but the names of the motels never show up. The name of hotels show up
fine though. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Should it
be reported somewhere?

Re: Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Philip Barnes
On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 23:38 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> No sure if this is the right place to ask this questions. I've added a
> few motels to OSM recently. The icons show up ok on the OSM website -
> but the names of the motels never show up. The name of hotels show up
> fine though. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Should it
> be reported somewhere?

Hi Sebastian

Have you some examples?

Phil (trigpoint)

On 12/10/13 23:44, Philip Barnes wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 23:38 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>> No sure if this is the right place to ask this questions. I've added a
>> few motels to OSM recently. The icons show up ok on the OSM website -
>> but the names of the motels never show up. The name of hotels show up
>> fine though. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Should it
>> be reported somewhere?
>>
> Hi Sebastian
>
> Have you some examples?

Hi Phil. This is one of them: http://osm.org/go/TcAglefZ4

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Re: Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Andrew Errington
Hi Sebastian,

It's not you, but if you see such a problem you can report it using the 'trac'
system.  However, this has been a problem for a while, and there is a trac
ticket from 2 years ago reporting it:
https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/4011

But this (from 3 years ago) seems to indicate it should work the same
as 'hotel':
https://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25306/subversion

Would anyone else like to comment why this doesn't work?

Best wishes,

Andrew

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:01:49 Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> On 12/10/13 23:44, Philip Barnes wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 23:38 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> >> No sure if this is the right place to ask this questions. I've added a
> >> few motels to OSM recently. The icons show up ok on the OSM website -
> >> but the names of the motels never show up. The name of hotels show up
> >> fine though. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Should it
> >> be reported somewhere?
> >
> > Hi Sebastian
> >
> > Have you some examples?
>
> Hi Phil. This is one of them: http://osm.org/go/TcAglefZ4
>
> Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Re: Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Clifford Snow

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Sebastian Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/10/13 23:44, Philip Barnes wrote:
On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 23:38 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
No sure if this is the right place to ask this questions. I've added a
few motels to OSM recently. The icons show up ok on the OSM website -
but the names of the motels never show up. The name of hotels show up
fine though. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Should it
be reported somewhere?

Hi Sebastian

Have you some examples?

Hi Phil. This is one of them: http://osm.org/go/TcAglefZ4

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

. If you select Humanitarian basename from the right hand selector, you will see the hotel name correctly displayed. I agree that we should display the motel's name. As Andrew suggested, check for an open ticket. If there is one, add your comments. If there isn't one, open a new ticket. Not sure if it is a bug or an enhancement request.

BTW - I like to keep building nodes separate from parking lot nodes. In real life, parking lots rarely connect to buildings. And if you need to change one, it is a pain when you have to unglue nodes. That may be just me.

Good luck,
--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Craig Wallace
On 2013-10-13 03:23, Andrew Errington wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> It's not you, but if you see such a problem you can report it using the 'trac'
> system.  However, this has been a problem for a while, and there is a trac
> ticket from 2 years ago reporting it:
> https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/4011
>
> But this (from 3 years ago) seems to indicate it should work the same
> as 'hotel':
> https://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25306/subversion
>
> Would anyone else like to comment why this doesn't work?

The 'Standard' style on openstreetmap.org is now using the Carto
stylesheet, which is hosted on Github:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto

It looks like amenity-points.mss includes the symbols and text for
hotels, motels etc:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/amenity-points.mss
See line 626 etc, which adds the name for hotel, hostel, chalet, but
this doesn't include motel. It should be pretty easy to modify this to
include motel.

You can add a ticket or patch for this on Github.

Craig

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:45:21 Craig Wallace wrote:
> You can add a ticket or patch for this on Github.

Are we no longer using trac?

Andrew

Re: Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Dan S
2013/10/13 Andrew Errington <[hidden email]>:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:45:21 Craig Wallace wrote:
>> You can add a ticket or patch for this on Github.
>
> Are we no longer using trac?

I think things are slowly moving over to github, but not sure how far
that has gone. In this particular case - the rendering of the default
style - when Andy Allen completely remade the style from scratch using
a different system (Carto stylesheet), it was all on github from the
start, so github is definitely the best place to suggest changes to
the default osm rendering.
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/

Quick guide to what you see on that github page:
 * If you scroll down you see the "readme" information, which gives
background information and also tells you how to set up a local
version.
 * If you want to request an improvment, click "Issues" on the right.
Then check it's not already been requested, and then click "New
issue".

However, the technical side of this issue is really easy to fix, so
I've just submitted a pull request which should fix it for us:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/221

We just need to wait for Andy to double-check my work and approve it.

Best
Dan

On 13/10/13 03:32, Clifford Snow wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Sebastian Arcus <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/10/13 23:44, Philip Barnes wrote:
>
>         On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 23:38 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>
>             No sure if this is the right place to ask this questions.
>             I've added a
>             few motels to OSM recently. The icons show up ok on the OSM
>             website -
>             but the names of the motels never show up. The name of
>             hotels show up
>             fine though. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
>             Should it
>             be reported somewhere?
>
>         Hi Sebastian
>
>         Have you some examples?
>

>     Hi Phil. This is one of them: http://osm.org/go/TcAglefZ4
>
>     Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>

> . If you select Humanitarian basename from the right hand selector, you
> will see the hotel name correctly displayed. I agree that we should
> display the motel's name. As Andrew suggested, check for an open ticket.
> If there is one, add your comments. If there isn't one, open a new
> ticket. Not sure if it is a bug or an enhancement request.
>
> BTW - I like to keep building nodes separate from parking lot nodes. In
> real life, parking lots rarely connect to buildings. And if you need to
> change one, it is a pain when you have to unglue nodes. That may be just me.

Hi Clifford,

I try to stick to how things are in reality - as I believe OSM should
reflect reality (unless I'm wrong?). So if a car park comes all the way
to the building, and there is nothing else in between (green space etc.)
- then I will glue them together. But maybe my view on that one is not
really "kosher"?

Sebastian

On 13/10/13 08:58, Dan S wrote:

> 2013/10/13 Andrew Errington <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:45:21 Craig Wallace wrote:
>>> You can add a ticket or patch for this on Github.
>>
>> Are we no longer using trac?
>
> I think things are slowly moving over to github, but not sure how far
> that has gone. In this particular case - the rendering of the default
> style - when Andy Allen completely remade the style from scratch using
> a different system (Carto stylesheet), it was all on github from the
> start, so github is definitely the best place to suggest changes to
> the default osm rendering.
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/
>
> Quick guide to what you see on that github page:
>   * If you scroll down you see the "readme" information, which gives
> background information and also tells you how to set up a local
> version.
>   * If you want to request an improvment, click "Issues" on the right.
> Then check it's not already been requested, and then click "New
> issue".
>
> However, the technical side of this issue is really easy to fix, so
> I've just submitted a pull request which should fix it for us:
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/221
>
> We just need to wait for Andy to double-check my work and approve it.

Thanks for that Dan and everybody else who replied.

I'll have to get up to speed with git and GitHub one of these days.

Sebastian

Re: Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Charlotte Wolter
Sebastian,

         You should follow Clifford's advice. It is a pain to fix
things that are glued together and should not be.
         A parking lot is ADJACENT to a hotel, but it is not part of
the hotel. Also, if one wants to make change to either, they will
have to be unglued. This is quite difficult to do, when, for example,
one wants to change a way that has been glued to an adjacent field.
         Thanks for your work and enthusiasm.

Best,

Charlotte Wolter

At 06:16 AM 10/13/2013, you wrote:

>On 13/10/13 03:32, Clifford Snow wrote:
>>
>>On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Sebastian Arcus <[hidden email]
>><mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 12/10/13 23:44, Philip Barnes wrote:
>>
>>         On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 23:38 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>>
>>             No sure if this is the right place to ask this questions.
>>             I've added a
>>             few motels to OSM recently. The icons show up ok on the OSM
>>             website -
>>             but the names of the motels never show up. The name of
>>             hotels show up
>>             fine though. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
>>             Should it
>>             be reported somewhere?
>>
>>         Hi Sebastian
>>
>>         Have you some examples?
>>

>>     Hi Phil. This is one of them: http://osm.org/go/TcAglefZ4
>>
>>     Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>>

>>. If you select Humanitarian basename from the right hand selector, you
>>will see the hotel name correctly displayed. I agree that we should
>>display the motel's name. As Andrew suggested, check for an open ticket.
>>If there is one, add your comments. If there isn't one, open a new
>>ticket. Not sure if it is a bug or an enhancement request.
>>
>>BTW - I like to keep building nodes separate from parking lot nodes. In
>>real life, parking lots rarely connect to buildings. And if you need to
>>change one, it is a pain when you have to unglue nodes. That may be just me.
>
>Hi Clifford,
>
>I try to stick to how things are in reality - as I believe OSM
>should reflect reality (unless I'm wrong?). So if a car park comes
>all the way to the building, and there is nothing else in between
>(green space etc.) - then I will glue them together. But maybe my
>view on that one is not really "kosher"?
>
>Sebastian

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[hidden email]
Skype: thetechlady

On 2013-10-13 20:54, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
>           You should follow Clifford's advice. It is a pain to fix
> things that are glued together and should not be.
>           A parking lot is ADJACENT to a hotel, but it is not part of
> the hotel. Also, if one wants to make change to either, they will
> have to be unglued. This is quite difficult to do, when, for example,
> one wants to change a way that has been glued to an adjacent field.

This is wrong. If two areas are physically adjacent to each other, with
nothing in between, then they should be mapped as such. ie sharing nodes
(or as multipolygon relations, with a shared way).
Don't leave a gap on the map if there isn't actually a gap 'on the ground'.

It might make it a bit trickier to edit, but that's more about knowing
how to use the editor. eg in JOSM middle click to select the other way.
And it makes some editing easier - eg if you adjust the position or
improve the accuracy of the building, its correct that it will also move
the parking.

Note linear ways sharing nodes with areas is a separate issue (eg roads
sharing nodes with fields), I think that should be avoided where possible.

Craig

Re: Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Tom Taylor-2
Having gone through an exercise of validation and re-editing for the
Ottawa area in general, I took away the lesson that a little gap is well
worthwhile in terms of the subsequent pain it avoids. After all, it's
not as if our tools on the ground can actually detect such a discrepancy.

Tom Taylor