My first GPX upload.. possible problems

Alex Willmer
After much procrastination I've uploaded the first of my GPX trails to
OSM.. and I fear I may have broken the server.

The file was track-trial-20050405aw.gpx.gz, a GPX 1.0 file with approx
20000 points in a single trkseg.

The following url for instance does not return an image:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?searchTerm=52.540013
+1.846661&searchType=Lat%2FLon&from=frontpage

Those firing up the applet from that page shows no points, which I
believe centres it on that area. Does this mean the file didn't upload
correctly?

Have I done something incorrectly? Or does the new map rendering code
not return an image for areas without map segments?

Finally, one aspect of which I'm uncertain is the jumps in my data. The
software I've used does not split the <trk> into multiple <trkseg>
elements, will this be a problem?

If everything is OK I will upload the remainder of my trails later today
- approx 200 000 points, covering Birmingham and surrounding motorways.

Regards

Alex

Re: My first GPX upload.. possible problems

stevec-4
* @ 14/07/05 02:15:10 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> After much procrastination I've uploaded the first of my GPX trails to
> OSM.. and I fear I may have broken the server.
>
> The file was track-trial-20050405aw.gpx.gz, a GPX 1.0 file with approx
> 20000 points in a single trkseg.

Your gpx uploaded fine

> The following url for instance does not return an image:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?searchTerm=52.540013
> +1.846661&searchType=Lat%2FLon&from=frontpage

You found a bug where it broke if their wern't any lines to display.
Fixed!

> Those firing up the applet from that page shows no points, which I
> believe centres it on that area.

Your longitude was the wrong side of the meridian - that is it was
positive not negative :-) Not that you should care, see below:

> Does this mean the file didn't upload
> correctly?

I can see the beginning of your track here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/applet.jsp?lat=52.51685&lon=-1.79887&scale=10404.917

> software I've used does not split the <trk> into multiple <trkseg>
> elements, will this be a problem?

Nope, its fine.

Sorry for this, its a crappy usability issue that your gpx page should
let you jump to each gpx on the map. Its on the todo list.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Re: My first GPX upload.. possible problems

Raphael Jacquot-2
SteveC wrote:
>>The following url for instance does not return an image:
>>http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?searchTerm=52.540013
>>+1.846661&searchType=Lat%2FLon&from=frontpage
>

> You found a bug where it broke if their wern't any lines to display.
> Fixed!
the non editing renderer is still borken

* @ 14/07/05 11:51:50 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
> >>The following url for instance does not return an image:
> >>http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?searchTerm=52.540013
> >>+1.846661&searchType=Lat%2FLon&from=frontpage
> >

> > You found a bug where it broke if their wern't any lines to display.
> > Fixed!
> the non editing renderer is still borken

Yeah I've just been doing some stuff, should be fine now.

SteveC wrote:

> * @ 14/07/05 11:51:50 AM [hidden email] wrote:

>>>You found a bug where it broke if their wern't any lines to display.
>>>Fixed!
>>
>>the non editing renderer is still borken
>

> Yeah I've just been doing some stuff, should be fine now.
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

An error occurred at line: 8 in the jsp file: /viewMap2.jsp

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

/var/lib/tomcat4/work/Standalone/localhost/edit/viewMap2_jsp.java:211:
';' expected
^
1 error

        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:85)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:248)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:315)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:328)
        at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:427)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:142)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:240)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:187)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:200)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$000(ApplicationFilterChain.java:51)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterChain.java:129)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:125)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:209)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:144)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2358)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:133)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:118)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:594)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:116)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:594)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:127)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:152)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:300)
        at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:374)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:743)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:675)
        at org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:866)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Apache Tomcat/4.1

Re: My first GPX upload.. possible problems

stevec-4

> SteveC wrote:
> > * @ 14/07/05 11:51:50 AM [hidden email] wrote:

> >>the non editing renderer is still borken
> >

> > Yeah I've just been doing some stuff, should be fine now.
> >
> > have fun,
> >
> > SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/
>
> HTTP Status 500 -
>
> type Exception report
>
> message
>
> description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented
> it from fulfilling this request.
>
> exception

> An error occurred at line: 8 in the jsp file: /viewMap2.jsp

Nothing should be pointing at viewMap2.jsp, wheres that from?

SteveC wrote:

> Nothing should be pointing at viewMap2.jsp, wheres that from?
>

> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

got that from the front page.
btw, that doesn't work...
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?searchTerm=60+10&searchType=Lat%2FLon&from=frontpage

Re: My first GPX upload.. possible problems

stevec-4

> SteveC wrote:
>
> > Nothing should be pointing at viewMap2.jsp, wheres that from?
> >

> > have fun,
> >
> > SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/
>
> got that from the front page.

Fixed that..

> btw, that doesn't work...
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/viewMap.jsp?searchTerm=60+10&searchType=Lat%2FLon&from=frontpage

And another slightly different SQL bug, fixed.

Hopefully now its ok

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 08:43 +0100, SteveC wrote:

> Your longitude was the wrong side of the meridian - that is it was
> positive not negative :-) Not that you should care, see below:
>
> > Does this mean the file didn't upload
> > correctly?
>
> I can see the beginning of your track here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/applet.jsp?lat=52.51685&lon=-1.82&scale=10404.917

Hoorah, I've uploaded the remainder of the files. I'd like to present,
for your viewing pleasure, Spaghetti Junction (bottom left) and
Environs:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/applet.jsp?lat=52.51685&lon=-1.79887&scale=70404.917

I've you have the patience (and the applet has the grunt) you should be
able to zoom out and see points for large sections of the M5, M6, M40,
M42, M69 & M1.

Thanks for your help Steve and for setting up this project, it feels
damn good to finally get this data into OSM. I'll try my hand and
tracing and attributing this evening.

Finally, would it be possible and desirable to enable From mangling
and/or add a Replyto header for emails on this mailing lis? So replys go
to the list by default.

Alex Willmer wrote:

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/applet.jsp?lat=52.51685&lon=-1.79887&scale=70404.917
>
> I've you have the patience (and the applet has the grunt) you should be
> able to zoom out and see points for large sections of the M5, M6, M40,
> M42, M69 & M1.

wow, nice !!!

Re: My first GPX upload.. possible problems

stevec-4
> Thanks for your help Steve and for setting up this project, it feels
> damn good to finally get this data into OSM. I'll try my hand and
> tracing and attributing this evening.

The latter isn't quite possible yet :-(

> Finally, would it be possible and desirable to enable From mangling
> and/or add a Replyto header for emails on this mailing lis? So replys go
> to the list by default.

Its an easy option in mailman, but its there to stop autoreplys flooding
the list... I get a few bounces. We can try it if people think its
important.