My own iD editor - OSM in a nutshell

Julien Cochennec
Hi, I'd like to have my own iD editor on a server, to develop additional features or plugins.
I'd like to connect it to different virtual servers "emulating" the whole OSM architecture, not to interfere with contributors.
I would also like the result to be "exportable" to OSM real infrastructure so that the whole system would be OSM in a nutshell but whitout losing data that can be handled as contribution.

- Do you think it's possible?
- If it's possible, which servers do I need to emulate?
- Which file in iD source would I have to change so the APIs are local and not worldwide?

Thanks.

mmd

Re: My own iD editor - OSM in a nutshell

mmd
On 3/28/19 4:14 PM, Julien Cochennec wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to have my own iD editor on a server, to develop additional
> features or plugins.
> I'd like to connect it to different virtual servers "emulating" the
> whole OSM architecture, not to interfere with contributors.

You can always use the dev instance for your tests
(master.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org), which is what I recommend to get up
to speed quickly. iD editor comes with quite comprehensive documentation
on how to set up your local development environment and deploy your code
to a server.

In general, setting up your own OSM backend infrastructure is nothing
for the faint hearted. Be prepared to spend at least several weeks on
this topic.

> I would also like the result to be "exportable" to OSM real
> infrastructure so that the whole system would be OSM in a nutshell but
> whitout losing data that can be handled as contribution.

That's quite tricky. OSM object ids and versions need to match exactly,
you need to be prepared to handle conflicts, set up proper user names in
your local database etc. There's a whole lot more issue on a
non-technical level as well, which I'm not going to jump into here. If
you have no prior experience in this area, I would try to skip this part
for the time being, as it could be a major time sink.

> - Do you think it's possible?

Depends on how much time you want to invest.

> - If it's possible, which servers do I need to emulate?

As said, you could always set up your own Rails port. If your primary
goal is iD development, that's probably overkill, though.

> - Which file in iD source would I have to change so the APIs are local
> and not worldwide?

On http://preview.ideditor.com/master you can simply switch between live
and dev environment by clicking on the "live" button on the bottom
toolbar. IIRC, your local deployment should have the same button. Be
sure to use the "dev" server, and check your results on
https://master.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org after uploading.

Re: My own iD editor - OSM in a nutshell

Imre Samu
>I would also like the result to be "exportable" to OSM real infrastructure
>so that the whole system would be OSM in a nutshell but whitout losing data that can be handled as contribution.

Check the POSM (Portable OpenStreetMap) project.
http://posm.io/docs/posm/intro/  ; https://github.com/posm/posm )    [ offline OpenStreetMap + editing (using iD, JOSM, and other parts of the OSM ecosystem) ]
"This means that any or all parts of a mapping workflow can happen offline. A user can pre-download files for an area of interest and then transport POSM to the area. Mappers can do any and all of the following: fly a drone, process the imagery, use that to conduct a mapathon and create a base map, conduct a phone-based survey, add local detail to the base map with either paper-based or mobile phone-based methods, and pull the resulting data from the phones onto a local server. This cycle can be repeated over and over again to build off of previous efforts. When a project finishes, users take POSM back to an area with internet and push the data to OpenStreetMap and other relevant places."
Cloud Installation:  http://posm.io/docs/posm/cloud/

best,
Imre

Julien Cochennec <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. márc. 28., Cs, 16:16):
Hi, I'd like to have my own iD editor on a server, to develop additional features or plugins.
I'd like to connect it to different virtual servers "emulating" the whole OSM architecture, not to interfere with contributors.
I would also like the result to be "exportable" to OSM real infrastructure so that the whole system would be OSM in a nutshell but whitout losing data that can be handled as contribution.

- Do you think it's possible?
- If it's possible, which servers do I need to emulate?
- Which file in iD source would I have to change so the APIs are local and not worldwide?

Thanks.

Re: My own iD editor - OSM in a nutshell

Julien Cochennec
Ok, very good info here.
So I understood the "tricky" part.

Another solution would be an application that would connect to OSM webservices to identify OSM objects.
Then create new Data linked to OSM by their IDS.
Then export data in one or many OSM export format.