NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

Brian Prangle-2
Hi everyone

I've added the seven centres announced for commencing operations today. Only approx locations so if you know the precise location please amend. They could probably do with having an address and postcode too.  Search for name=NHS Covid 19 Mass Vaccination Centre

Regards

Brian

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

Brian Prangle-2
Ken

The clue I think is in the name. But feel free to add the tags - I think they're redundant.

Regards

Brian

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 17:07, Ken Kilfedder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any reason not to add 'healthcare:speciality=vaccination' & 'vaccination=covid19' ?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, at 3:33 PM, Brian Prangle wrote:
Hi everyone

I've added the seven centres announced for commencing operations today. Only approx locations so if you know the precise location please amend. They could probably do with having an address and postcode too.  Search for name=NHS Covid 19 Mass Vaccination Centre

Regards

Brian

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

sk53.osm
I'd be cautious about using these tags.

Specialty has a very specific meaning in a healthcare context & vaccination is not one, it is merely a procedure. This proposed usage (and other similar ones) has the general consequence that the OSM tag no longer correlates with the use of the term in the real world, and therefore requires additional tags to indicate that some part of a hospital or healthcare service belongs to a given specialty. (The possible actual specialties are public health, microbiology & virology or general practice: at least in the UK there is likely to be a Royal College for each specialty).

Extending a tag beyond its original intended meaning degrades the usefulness of a tag & often requires the creation of additional tags to meet the original purpose.

Vaccination centres are places designed to offer a very specific suite of medical procedures. No doubt a suitable generic term can be identified to accommodate this and other procedures under discussion such as phlebotomy.

Jerry

PS. Yes the horse may have bolted, but that's no reason to adopt a poor tag.

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 17:33, Ken Kilfedder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Done.   I think it might help some future use-case around comparing mass vaccination facilities across different countries.  But mainly - why not?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, at 3:33 PM, Brian Prangle wrote:
Hi everyone

I've added the seven centres announced for commencing operations today. Only approx locations so if you know the precise location please amend. They could probably do with having an address and postcode too.  Search for name=NHS Covid 19 Mass Vaccination Centre

Regards

Brian

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

David Woolley
On 11/01/2021 17:13, Brian Prangle wrote:
> The clue I think is in the name. But feel free to add the tags - I think
> they're redundant.

Names are not supposed to be used for descriptions, and a close
examination may determine that that is how they are being used, but the
other implication of this is that one should not read anything into the
name, so you still need specific tags to describe the function.

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

sdoerr
On 11/01/2021 15:33, Brian Prangle wrote:
> Search for name=NHS Covid 19 Mass Vaccination Centre

Covid19 seems to have been entered as a single word in the names.

--
Steve

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

Brian Prangle-2
Should it be hyphenated?  There's a current list (published under OGL 3.0) of all vaccination centres which covers hospital hubs and local GP centres here

Should we attempt to add all these too?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 20:56, Steve Doerr <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/01/2021 15:33, Brian Prangle wrote:
> Search for name=NHS Covid 19 Mass Vaccination Centre

Covid19 seems to have been entered as a single word in the names.

--
Steve

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

Ken Kilfedder
Thanks for the advice, I understand your point about the dictionary and medical sector meaning of "specialty".  But I didn't make it up - it's on the wiki, and looks for all the world like codified best practice, not a proposal:

But it looks like there is a proposal for an alternative scheme here:  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:healthcare%3Dvaccination_centre

It'd due for a decision on the 15th, so assuming it passes, I'm happy to retag accordingly.   (Assuming no-one gets to it first).

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, at 7:38 PM, SK53 wrote:
[...]

Those are for more permanent facilities.
Covid is more emergency. & hopefully temporary, installed in buildings which usually have a different usage.

DaveF

On 11/01/2021 17:06, Ken Kilfedder wrote:
Any reason not to add 'healthcare:speciality=vaccination' & 'vaccination <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:vaccination>=covid19' ?

---
https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
[hidden email]

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, at 3:33 PM, Brian Prangle wrote:
Hi everyone

I've added the seven centres announced for commencing operations today. Only approx locations so if you know the precise location please amend. They could probably do with having an address and postcode too.  Search for name=NHS Covid 19 Mass Vaccination Centre

Regards

Brian

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

andrew-2

On 12/01/2021 21:06, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
Not convinced that name is the correct tag. Many of these facilities are taking over complete buildings, which already have names. Amenity? Emergency? maybe.

Agreed

Also tags get round the problem of people (like me!) mistyping the name and not coming up in searches. rephrase - reduces the chance.

DaveF

On 11/01/2021 15:33, Brian Prangle wrote:
Hi everyone

I've added the seven centres announced for commencing operations today.
Only approx locations so if you know the precise location please amend.
They could probably do with having an address and postcode too.  Search for
name=NHS Covid 19 Mass Vaccination Centre

Regards

Brian

Re: NHS Covid Mass Vaccination Centres

andrew-2

On 11/01/2021 17:13, Brian Prangle wrote:
> Ken
>
> The clue I think is in the name. But feel free t eg o add the tags - I
> think they're redundant.

Some English speakers spell Centre as Center :-) eg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/432173275