NSW LPI address import

David Wales
Hello Talk-AU,

I sent this message earlier with the subject ‘Hello!’, but somehow it got PGP encrypted on the way!
So, here it is again, hopefully not encrypted.

I am an Australian mapper, interested in participating in the NSW LPI address import.
I have found the wiki page, along with the talk-au discussion and the imports list discussion.

I have also found Dion Moult’s address import repository on Gitlab.
I have started reviewing the changesets listed in the review directory by opening new issues in the repository for any issues I find.
Once I have reviewed a changeset, and fixed any issues, should I upload it to OSM and submit a pull request to fix the changeset and move it to the ‘uploaded’ directory? Or does it need more review than that?

Regards,
David Wales

Re: NSW LPI address import

Andrew Harvey-3
Hi David,

The process Dion set up is a valid way to contribute (at the same time
you're not restricted to only using that approach).

From my point of view, so long as

1. these changesets are somehow tagged or noted as being part of the
NSW LPI Address import
2. addresses which are already mapped in OSM are not lost in the
process, since these are potentially more accurate, and potentially
more ground truthed

then it's fine to proceed as you see fit.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 11:00, David Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Talk-AU,
>
> I sent this message earlier with the subject ‘Hello!’, but somehow it got PGP encrypted on the way!
> So, here it is again, hopefully not encrypted.
>
> I am an Australian mapper, interested in participating in the NSW LPI address import.
> I have found the wiki page, along with the talk-au discussion and the imports list discussion.
>
> I have also found Dion Moult’s address import repository on Gitlab.
> I have started reviewing the changesets listed in the review directory by opening new issues in the repository for any issues I find.
> Once I have reviewed a changeset, and fixed any issues, should I upload it to OSM and submit a pull request to fix the changeset and move it to the ‘uploaded’ directory? Or does it need more review than that?
>
> Regards,
> David Wales

Re: NSW LPI address import

David Wales
Thanks Andrew,

I'll make sure to tag them as part of the NSW LPI address import.

I'll also make sure that no hand mapped addresses are lost or duplicated.

Do I need to create a new account for this import, or is it OK to upload under my own account, provided it is properly tagged?

On 17 December 2018 5:30:27 pm AEDT, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David,

The process Dion set up is a valid way to contribute (at the same time
you're not restricted to only using that approach).

From my point of view, so long as

[...]

Talk-au mailing list

Re: NSW LPI address import

Dion Moult
Hi David!

Sorry that I've been AWOL - I'll update the repository and respond to all your
posted issues and merge requests. I guess I have not been receiving email
notifications and so I didn't know there was activity on the repository.

I've been uploading them part of my own account, but tagging them as follow:

`source=source:import=NSW LPI Web Services`

This is an example changeset: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/62356201#map=15/-33.7889/151.0845

I'll post a little HOWTO later tonight on how to import in the repo and respond
to your bug report, as I've streamlined the process somewhat after some trial
and error, and the code in import.py is no longer an efficient way to do things.

Cheers, let me know how things go.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 05:39:13PM +1100, David Wales wrote:

>    Thanks Andrew,
>    I'll make sure to tag them as part of the NSW LPI address import.
>    I'll also make sure that no hand mapped addresses are lost or
>    duplicated.
>    Do I need to create a new account for this import, or is it OK to
>    upload under my own account, provided it is properly tagged?
>
>    On 17 December 2018 5:30:27 pm AEDT, Andrew Harvey
>    <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
> The process Dion set up is a valid way to contribute (at the same time
> you're not restricted to only using that approach).
> From my point of view, so long as
> 1. these changesets are somehow tagged or noted as being part of the
> NSW LPI Address import
> 2. addresses which are already mapped in OSM are not lost in the
> process, since these are potentially more accurate, and potentially
> more ground truthed
> then it's fine to proceed as you see fit.
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 11:00, David Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      Hello Talk-AU,
>      I sent this message earlier with the subject âHello!â, but somehow
>      it got PGP encrypted on the way!
>      So, here it is again, hopefully not encrypted.
>      I am an Australian mapper, interested in participating in the NSW
>      LPI address import.
>      I have found the wiki page, along with the talk-au discussion and
>      the imports list discussion.
>      I have also found Dion Moultâs address import repository on Gitlab.
>      I have started reviewing the changesets listed in the review
>      directory by opening new issues in the repository for any issues I
>      find.
>      Once I have reviewed a changeset, and fixed any issues, should I
>      upload it to OSM and submit a pull request to fix the changeset and
>      move it to the âuploadedâ directory? Or does it need more review
>      than that?
>      Regards,
>      David Wales

Dion Moult

Re: NSW LPI address import

Dion Moult
Cheers David, I've responded on the bugtracker and also updated the README with
hoepfully a very detailed step by step guide. Please check it out and let me
know on the bugtracker if it makes sense :)

I also use OsmAnd a lot and lack of addresses is a big bugbear! Admittedly
sometimes I cheat and search for the address on an app called "Transportr" on
the F-Droid store before I do my routing in OsmAnd, but I digress.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 23:38, Dion Moult <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also use OsmAnd a lot and lack of addresses is a big bugbear! Admittedly
> sometimes I cheat and search for the address on an app called "Transportr" on
> the F-Droid store before I do my routing in OsmAnd, but I digress.

You could process the GNAF address points data into OsmAnd using [1]
and [2], so you get full address support without needing to actually
import anything into OSM. I did this and it works okay.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OsmAndMapCreator
[2] https://github.com/openaddresses/oa2osm

Re: NSW LPI address import

David Wales
Thanks Dion,

I'll get back to the repo in the next day or so. I had a quick look, and it seemed pretty comprehensive, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Andrew, I could make a custom OsmAnd map with address data, but it would spoil the point of using OsmAnd for me! I use it because it motivates me to improve Open Street Map!