NSW Protected Areas Data Imports

Andrew Harvey-3
I've noticed in NSW, protected areas have been very heavily imported.

Given we now have the CC BY 4.0 waiver for NPWS's open data it might be worth taking a look at their Estate data as it appears to be the most frequently updated at every 3 months (last updated 31st March 2018), compared to CAPAD which is only bi-annually.

See the NPWS entries at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue

Re: NSW Protected Areas Data Imports

John Bryant
Interesting. How do you import a shapefile like this to OSM? I'm curious because I do a bit of spatial ETL, but I've only ever done manual edits ins OSM.

On 26 April 2018 at 15:20, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've noticed in NSW, protected areas have been very heavily imported.

Given we now have the CC BY 4.0 waiver for NPWS's open data it might be worth taking a look at their Estate data as it appears to be the most frequently updated at every 3 months (last updated 31st March 2018), compared to CAPAD which is only bi-annually.

See the NPWS entries at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue

Re: NSW Protected Areas Data Imports

Andrew Harvey-3
Import guidelines aside, there are a few different ways to actually get the data into OSM, but I think the simplest is:

ogr2ogr -f GeoJSON file.geojson file.shp

Then enable the GeoJSON plugin in JOSM and open it. From there you can copy it across into an OSM data layer, manually conflate it with anything existing, simplify the way if it's too detailed, etc.