NSW bus routes from opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au

NSW bus routes from opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au

I was checking the use by another mapper of some Qld govt data for
copyright when I noticed OSM has permission to use Static timetables, stop locations, and route shape information in
"General Transit Feed Specification" from https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/timetables-complete-gtfs
as stated in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_data_catalogue.

It would be 'nice' to get this data into OSM for bus routes in public transport v2.

Before I start experimenting (not importing at this stage - just want to see what is involved), as there any comment s... like "no - copyright withdrawn" etc?

Re: NSW bus routes from opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au

Andrew Harvey-3
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:33, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was checking the use by another mapper of some Qld govt data for
> copyright when I noticed OSM has permission to use Static timetables, stop locations, and route shape information in
> "General Transit Feed Specification" from https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/timetables-complete-gtfs
> as stated in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_data_catalogue.

That's not true. You'll see we have the SA Adelaide Metro GTFS through
the SA government CC BY waiver,

QLD's Translink, NSW's TfNSW, ACT's ACTION I sent waiver's but haven't
received them back completed yet.

In the case of QLD there was an explicit permission, from before the
waiver's and TMR is already providing the waiver for the state road
centerlines, so would probably be open to the their GTFS as well, but
we don't have it.

In NSW TfNSW are very OpenStreetMap friendly with their trip planner
https://transportnsw.info using OpenStreetMap for routing and maps,
and although we don't have the waiver yet, I'm still expecting it will
be provided.

Stepping back, there are a lot of bus routes in NSW and they do change
over time, it would be a huge effort to map them all out, keep them up
to date, current and maintained (they break sometimes when people edit
the road network). Given the GTFS data is already open, is it worth
that effort?

> It would be 'nice' to get this data into OSM for bus routes in public transport v2.
>
> Before I start experimenting (not importing at this stage - just want to see what is involved), as there any comment s... like "no - copyright withdrawn" etc?

Re: NSW bus routes from opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au

Warin
On 04/01/19 13:17, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:33, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was checking the use by another mapper of some Qld govt data for
>> copyright when I noticed OSM has permission to use Static timetables, stop locations, and route shape information in
>> "General Transit Feed Specification" from https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/timetables-complete-gtfs
>> as stated in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_data_catalogue.
> That's not true. You'll see we have the SA Adelaide Metro GTFS through
> the SA government CC BY waiver,
>
> QLD's Translink, NSW's TfNSW, ACT's ACTION I sent waiver's but haven't
> received them back completed yet.

Arr it does say "sent' .. that did not go through to the brain as 'sent to them' but could be interpreted as 'sent by them'.
Glad I asked. Better wording? "OSM has applied for" .. and I think you'll need a year :(

> Stepping back, there are a lot of bus routes in NSW and they do change
> over time, it would be a huge effort to map them all out, keep them up
> to date, current and maintained (they break sometimes when people edit
> the road network). Given the GTFS data is already open, is it worth
> that effort?

Without them being in OSM they won't appear in things like OSMAnd ..

Things like admin boundaries break when people edit roads too ... people seem to think they are worth the effort.
With the format being GTFS it should be fairly easy to update .. provided OSM retains access.