Name:Language validator problems

Gavin Scott-272
I am trying to tag some locations that are located in Japan with the English name.

The item has been tagged as follows

name:= blah blah - this is written in Japanese letters

I am trying to enter on another line;

name:en= Blah blah - written in English

The validator in JOSM gives me this error message on import;

A name:* translation is missing.

WTF.

What is the correct way to label these items in English?

Re: Name:Language validator problems

Michael Heißmeier-2
Hello Gavin,

> I am trying to tag some locations that are located in Japan with the English
> name.
>

> The item has been tagged as follows
>
> name:= blah blah - this is written in Japanese letters
>
> I am trying to enter on another line;
>
> name:en= Blah blah - written in English
>

> The validator in JOSM gives me this error message on import;
>
> A name:* translation is missing.
>
> WTF.
>
> What is the correct way to label these items in English?
>
> Thanks

I just had a look at the source code of the validator. The rationale behind the
test is that anything mentioned in the name tag should appear in a
language-specific name tag as well. If name=<japanese characters> you should not
only add some name:en but also that very same japanese characters as name:ja as
well.

It does not appear as an error but is an informational message only. This way to
handle localized names is not expressely stated in the wiki and I encountered it
very frequently that name contains the name in the primary local language and
name:* contain translations only.

I think you could safely ignore this kind of messages and continue tagging as
you did.

Best Regards

Michael